Poll

How far should gun control go?

I like were it is now.
Gun control is for wimps and communists.
Only cops and criminals should own a gun.
Guns are safe as long as you know how to use them.
No one should have one.
Obama can save us all.

Author Topic: Gun control (The official gun thread!)  (Read 61162 times)

billybobobrain

Gun control (The official gun thread!)
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:45:53 pm »
This is one of my favorite toppics, lets see how you feel about it. I allowed for changing of votes just in case someone sees the error of there ways and wants to be a convert.

Offline Joe Mig

• Enthusiast
Re: Gun control (The official gun thread!)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:09:35 pm »
Gun control is being able to hit your target !  ;D
"If everything feels undercontrol...you are not going fast enough"

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »
Gun control is being able to hit your target !  ;D

+1
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Markcb750

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:14:56 pm »
gun control is YOU not having one.

billybobobrain

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:17:24 pm »
gun control is YOU not having one.

To late I have quite a few! ;D

Offline boatsdickson

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 836 K8
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:33:41 am »
This topic is about as volatile as the abortion topic. But I voted, let the bullets fly.  ;D 8)
"No. We're all our own prisons, we are each all our own wardens and we do our own time. I can't judge anyone else. What other people do is not really my affair unless they approach me with it. Prison's in your mind. Can't you see I'm free"?  Testimonial of Charles Manson

bobinvt

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 06:58:18 am »
I strongly believe in the "one gun a month" law. Of course that's a minimum and if you can't afford one, the government should buy one for you.

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:17:43 am »
Increased Gun Control is all well and good, but since the populations of both Canada and Switzerland are both more heavily armed than the US, and who can blame them given their respective neighbours :o  I personally suspect that there is something more fundamentally wrong in America (the education system especially) than just who owns all the weaponry :-\
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:47:23 am »
I have weapons of all flavors to exercise my 2nd amendment right- freedom to bear arms to prevent the arbitrary and capricious rule of a tyrannical government.

Sic siemper tyrannus  ;)
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

upperlake04

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:51:25 am »
..the populations of both Canada and Switzerland are both more heavily armed than the US..

Nah, I don't think so CrispPD :)    Wikipedia

Country            Guns per 100 residents  

United States90.0        
 Yemen                61.0    
 Switzerland  46.0        
 Iraq                      39.0        
 Serbia                37.5        
 France                32.0       
 Finland                 32.0    
 Canada       31.5
 Sweden                31.5       
 Austria                31.0       
 Germany                30.0       
 New Zealand          26.8        
 Saudi Arabia        26.3        
 Greece                23.0        
 Angola                20.5        
 Thailand                16.0        
 Australia                15.5        
 Mexico                15.0        
 South Africa        13.1        
 Turkey                13.0       
 Argentina                12.6        
 Italy                12.1        
 Pakistan                12.0        
 Spain                11.0        
 Russia                9.0        
 Ukraine                9.0        
 Brazil                8.8        
 Colombia                7.2        
 United Kingdom        5.6       
 Iran                      5.3        
 Philippines             4.7        
 India               4.0        
 China               3.5        
 Nigeria               1.0

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 08:01:45 am »
One must define "heavily armed". Is it "guns per hundred population" where the stats show US leading. Or gun OWNERS per hundred population, which is where one might suspect Switz and Can to lead.

My WAG is fewer US owners tend to have many guns, while more individuals in Canada each have one or so. For example, and its a feeling, i have no proof.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline CrisPDuk

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:38 am »
You do surprise me upperlake.  Although I'm personally not sure that Wikipedia's source material is totally accurate in this instance?   That figure for the US is far higher than is usually quoted elsewhere, and the figure for Switzerland is lower, bearing in mind that every adult male member of the Swiss population is a member of their military reserve and is armed accordingly :o

Canada's figure again is lower than I've seen recorded elsewhere,  I know if I myself lived in a country where bears outnumber humans (and next door to you lot ;)) I'd make sure I was properly equipped ;D
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

upperlake04

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 08:32:57 am »
 ;D ;D I really don't know if those figures are correct either, I just cut and pasted the first page that came up on the google search. Handguns have been tightly regulated since the 1930s'. The federal government introduced a new stricter gun  registry a few years ago which caused a huge public outcry.  Many westerners (Canadian) ignored the deadline so no one knows for sure who has all the long guns or how many of them.
 You do know that even though those guys south of the 49th have built a fence along our border, hosed us in trade and overwhelmed our airwaves with their 'culture', they are our best friends and neighbors?   ;D

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:45:25 am »
crisP's and upperlake's figures also tell different stories... just like rider was pointing out.

upperlake's suggests that gun owners in the US usually have a lot or none
crisP's only pertains to how many owners are in 100... not how many guns are in 100 owners

don't argue statistics if you're not arguing the same statistics.   ;)
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

upperlake04

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 09:01:28 am »
 Hey Heffay, you're not a mod anymore so you can't tell me what to do.  ;D

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 09:16:54 am »
just makin' a point... i'm sure i could make it more understood at gunpoint!   ;D

i wasn't trying to tell you what to do... just that arguing different stats will get us nowhere.   ;)
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline CrisPDuk

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 10:19:40 am »
Any politician (un)worthy of the name can manipulate any set of figures to illustrate any point he needs to make ;)

That's why I'm naturally inclined to distrust* both politicians and statistics >:(

*Except of course where one, or both, happens to subscribe to, and/or reinforce, my own particular prejudices ;D

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 09:13:22 pm »
I have weapons of all flavors to exercise my 2nd amendment right- freedom to bear arms to prevent the arbitrary and capricious rule of a tyrannical government.

Sic siemper tyrannus  ;)

A common justification but looking back over the last 8 years how well did that work out?

billybobobrain

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 10:42:01 pm »

Sic siemper tyrannus  ;)

A common justification but looking back over the last 8 years how well did that work out?

About the same as the next 8!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 10:56:23 pm »
Somehow i doubt that Bill, no one could be worse than Bush...

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 12:20:49 am »

Sic siemper tyrannus  ;)

8!  You must be already feeling positive about Obama's reelection chances.  He has only been in office for 50 some days so how about we wait and see a bit.  We KNOW how the last eight years went.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:37:16 am »

Sic siemper tyrannus  ;)

No kidding, do ya really think the next 8 will be much different than the 8 before that, and the 8 before that? A lot of people still can't get over the false left/right paradigm that exists in our political system.
They all pretty much serve the same master: trans-national corporations that don't have to answer to anyone.

I am not happy at all with what our government has been doing lately here and abroad. A lot of corrections need to be made to get this country back to being a better place to live. I have hope though, that is important.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

billybobobrain

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 10:09:13 am »

Sic siemper tyrannus  ;)

8!  You must be already feeling positive about Obama's reelection chances.  He has only been in office for 50 some days so how about we wait and see a bit.  We KNOW how the last eight years went.

The same as the next 4 It relay doesn't matter who is in office the agenda is the same, Take away as many rights as possible. I don't think Obama is any different then Bush jr., Clinton, Bush sr., Reagan,..Blah...Blah...Blikity BLAH.... need I list more?

If you want some insight into how our beloved presidents are chosen and puppeteered, read the book "The Shadows of Power" by James Perloff.

But hey we are talking guns here! Enough with the political party crap! There are plenty of threads for that.
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:17:07 am by billybobobrain »

fuzzybutt

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 08:51:58 pm »
i have several handguns, all in a locked case now except for one, since theres a baby in the house now.

Offline boatsdickson

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 836 K8
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 05:42:01 am »
How do you all feel about the increase of gun sales recently. Seems like as new legislation is passed or the obama term starts gun sales went through the roof. Setting aside the stats and the stories, how have all of us felt during this time? Personally everytime a new president takes charge, I feel the need to concider a new sidearm or case of ammo for the just incase theory. Not incase of an upheaval, mainly for fear that the guns or ammo that I want will be impossible to find or afford with each new law thats enacted. I dont have an arsenal of any sort but I want to feel like Im supplied with what I need for the weapons I do have.

How do times like these make you feel, and what purchases have you made lately that you might not have made if times were a little more cheerful?
"No. We're all our own prisons, we are each all our own wardens and we do our own time. I can't judge anyone else. What other people do is not really my affair unless they approach me with it. Prison's in your mind. Can't you see I'm free"?  Testimonial of Charles Manson