Author Topic: My DIY bearing retainer remover tool.  (Read 8537 times)

Offline Hinz

• Enthusiast
My DIY bearing retainer remover tool.
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:28:49 pm »
I share with you a bearing retainer tool that I fabbed up real quick tonight.  I wanted something that I can throw in the toolbox so I can have it for future projects and friends projects.
I used my 110V Craftsman welder and some scrap hardware that I had laying around. 
Sorry for the bad quality pics, they're from my cell phone....forgot the good digital at my apartment.  Oh, I was also rushing so the welds didn't come out that great but they hold.

For the pins, I just took some screws and put them in the drill press chuck.  With the drill press on, I used a file to grind down the screw threads to somethign that fit into the retainer holes... voila, a POOR mans lathe  :D

I must say, it's ugly but works great.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:26:58 am by Hinz »
1976 CB750K
Has learned so far that..."complete" gaskets are never complete no matter where you get them, VHT Silver Case Paint is just as durable as painting your motor with chalk and cheap tire irons used with rim protectors are useless on 30 year old tires.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: My DIY bearing retainer remover tool.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:37:34 pm »
Very good!
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:40:47 pm »
Well Done!

For the pins, I just took some screws and put them in the drill press chuck.  With the drill press on, I used a file to grind down the screw threads to somethign that fit into the retainer holes... voila, a POOR mans lathe  :D

That's amazing, I have the exact same lathe!  ;)

I must say, it's ugly but works great.

Ugly matters not.

For extra stability, and a convenient excuse to use the welder some more, you could take an old wheel spacer and weld it to your tool, so that it's self-aligning.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline sdmsc

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 05:21:57 pm »
I share with you a bearing retainer tool that I fabbed up real quick tonight.  ...

I just popped in here unsure if the retainer even rotated or not - yup it does.

One question, did you have to do anything with the swage marks?  I thought I saw other people mention needing to drill them out before the retainer would come out.

Incidentally, my problem, which I spent all evening trying to diagnose as a chain problem, was a bearing that disintegrated on the first long ride after a chain adjustment.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:44:41 pm »
I share with you a bearing retainer tool that I fabbed up real quick tonight.  ...

I just popped in here unsure if the retainer even rotated or not - yup it does.

One question, did you have to do anything with the swage marks?  I thought I saw other people mention needing to drill them out before the retainer would come out.

Incidentally, my problem, which I spent all evening trying to diagnose as a chain problem, was a bearing that disintegrated on the first long ride after a chain adjustment.

YEs you MUST drill out the staked areas. Use a bit slightly larger than the staked hole and go down about an 1/8 to 3/16 maybe a 1/4".

A tool very similar to this can be made witha 24+" long strap. Drill 2 holes in it about midway, spaced apart to fit your retainer. Put the bolt and nut affairs in to create the pins. With the length of the strap you shouldn't need any more leverage.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:07 pm »
Very clever, and yes you need to drill out those staked portions. They were put there to deform the threads to prevent the ring from vibrating loose.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline sdmsc

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 06:47:45 pm »
Thanks guys; I did drill out the staked spots (only two each side form my particular assembly tech).  I put a couple short #10 machine screws through an aluminum bar to make my tool, it worked fine.  Then I learned that the other side is a different size; okay, I put another screw in the rod.  The retainer on the side with the explodified bearing was a little hard to get out, but with some extra love from a 16 oz hammer and nail set, it started to move.

Now, to get the rest of that bearing out....

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 08:24:06 pm »
  So exactly how much force should it take to remove this rear wheel retainer?  Reason I ask is I drilled out the stakes, had a tool tack welded together to fit the round holes, and made sure to spin clockwise.  This darn thing isn't moving.  And to make matters more difficult I already separated the hub from the wheel so it's proving challenging to find a way to keep the hub from wanting to turn when I torque it.
  I sprayed it with WD40 before I left for work, hopefully that'll help by the time I get home.  Any tips on securing this thing so it won't turn??
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 09:03:50 pm »
 So exactly how much force should it take to remove this rear wheel retainer?  Reason I ask is I drilled out the stakes, had a tool tack welded together to fit the round holes, and made sure to spin clockwise.  This darn thing isn't moving.  And to make matters more difficult I already separated the hub from the wheel so it's proving challenging to find a way to keep the hub from wanting to turn when I torque it.
  I sprayed it with WD40 before I left for work, hopefully that'll help by the time I get home.  Any tips on securing this thing so it won't turn??
I think it should be fairly easy, mine were on a cb750. But losing the leverage of the wheel is unfortunate. Note to readers, always loosen the retainer before de lacing the wheel.

Only one of the 550 retainers is left hand thread I think. GOt the correct one? Maybe there is only one? Confirm with a 550 guy.
Ride Safe:
Ron