Author Topic: For those of you who run inline fuel filters  (Read 32384 times)

Offline cb350twin

• Hot Shot
    • http://mail.google.com/a/sohc4.net/
For those of you who run inline fuel filters
« on: March 25, 2009, 07:02:33 pm »
Why do you run them? Is it because you don't have the the in-tank filter? Or just want the extra protection? I have the K5 750 so I have the in-tank filter instead of in the peacock. My bike randomly leans it's self out and stalls at random times. It could be once every 1000 miles or could be a few times in a ride.  If you wait a few secs to a min its up running like nothing happened. So I cleaned out the in-tank filter which was decently dirty. I was wondering if the extra filter is cause the random stalls and adding extra blockage?
1975 CB 750 K5
1972 CB 350 Twin K4
1972 CB 500 Four K1

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: For those of you who run inline fuel filters
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 07:08:04 pm »
Check also:

Gas cap vent for rust & corrosion.
Float bowl vent holes: these are tiny little holes above the float bowl, in the carb bodies, that go to the little vent tubes that join the pairs of carbs together  They corrode inside sometimes, and won't let the bowls breathe.
Kinks in the hoses.
Fuel line routing: the hose(s) should route always downward or horizontally, never upward.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 07:09:46 pm »
Oh man, there has been lots of posts about in-line filters...they have been blamed for everything from global warming to ,,,fill-in-the-blank....
The consensus is that they are more trouble etc., etc., i.e. the filter ( clean ) above the petcock does the job, but hold on for more opinions......................
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 07:15:40 pm »
if it is the proper filter... it does not restrict flow, it filters foreign matter.
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

masonryman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 07:23:54 pm »
In line filter = cheap insurance. If you are working on a new to you bike that needed any carb work or cleaning it is wise to run a clear in line filter so you can see what is coming out of your tank, about the third time in a week you remove your carbs you will agree.

If a in line filter is causing your bike to run lean or die you have a lot of crap in your tank that is plugging up the filter

Offline cb350twin

• Hot Shot
    • http://mail.google.com/a/sohc4.net/
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:46:45 pm »
Ya I'm thinking about maybe ditching the in-line filter as the in-tank one looked to be in good shape once it was cleaned up. Looks like it would more efficient anyways. Hondaman where are these vents in the carbs you speak of? I think the problem might be the crud that was in the stock filter. The tank is clean inside just the filter was probably never cleaned since it was new and  probably the fuel line routing. How do you guys route you fuel line?
1975 CB 750 K5
1972 CB 350 Twin K4
1972 CB 500 Four K1

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:59:23 pm »
I once rode my K6 to work.  Half way to work it was croaking.  Had gas... what the crap?!  Went through restarting / starving / croaking routine until I got close to work.  Reserve didn't help.  Pushed the bike the rest of the way (a few hundred yards).  Woke up (or at least called too late) an SOHC4 member (sorry man).  He said my sock was dirty.  I told him my socks were fine ;)  So, I took off my petcock and cleaned the sock.  There was fine silt on the lower half or more of the filter/sock.  Thanks "person to remain nameless", and again, sorry. 

I am currently running a filter as well and after seeing how fine the sock is, I'll be fine without the filter. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:12 pm »
+1 on the gas cap vent hole...... my k2 had those same symptoms when i first got it ..... took me a couple weeks to figure it out because i was such a newb........drove me effin crazy
Funny thing about regret is...... its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »
Problem is your routing.  With the way your hose is run, the gas flows down out of the tank, then has to turn a 180 and flow uphill for a long distance before going back down to the carbs.  Fuel delivery is gravity fed, liquids don't like to flow uphill.

Instead, come down out of the petcock, through the hole that should be in your carb mounting plate, then to the tee fitting and from there into the carb inlets.  Try to keep the flow going downhill the whole way.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 09:51:44 pm »
It is a gravity feed fuel system.  Gravity pulls down the fuel tubing not up the fuel tubing.  When the tube going up is the same length as the tube going down, gravity flow is negated.

I submit that one good filter is all you need.  The in-tank type is self clearing with the movement of the fuel in the tank. 
Further, if two filters were better or needed for added insurance, then isn't more insurance better?  If so, why stop at just two filters?  Why not five or six?  Just think how clean the fuel with be with ten filters in series with the tank feed?

Cheers,

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

billybobobrain

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 10:26:51 pm »
Those in line filters ARE the cause of global warming! But if you use 10 then you can help with the current global cooling problem. Also watch out because to many causes your kids to like purple dinosaurs and horrible acting.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 10:40:53 pm »

Further, if two filters were better or needed for added insurance, then isn't more insurance better?  If so, why stop at just two filters?  Why not five or six?  Just think how clean the fuel with be with ten filters in series with the tank feed?

I just went ahead and did away with that pesky fuel tank and fuel lines and replaced it all with a huge, interconnected, glued-together  mass of in-line fuel filters.  I'm gonna have the cleanest gas in the entire world!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

It's a real #$%* filling up at the gas station, though. :-\

billybobobrain

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:48:09 pm »

I just went ahead and did away with that pesky fuel tank and fuel lines and replaced it all with a huge, interconnected, glued-together  mass of in-line fuel filters.  I'm gonna have the cleanest gas in the entire world!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

It's a real #$%* filling up at the gas station, though. :-\

You have to diconect at the carbs and suck with your mouth, at the same time hold a funnel and pump the gas.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 10:57:33 pm »

You have to diconect at the carbs and suck with your mouth, at the same time hold a funnel and pump the gas.

Thanks for the tip!  Do you think it would help if I flogged myself first, and said ten "hail Soichiros"? 

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:28:36 pm »
Something "ate" my in-tank filter so when I switch to reserve all the sand in the Arab empire and rusticals off the Titanic race to be first to block my carbs!
The tank is spotless inside so they also have magic transporter powers. ;D
Have a very very small disposable in-line filter fitted and it's cheap insurance but as the guys said you gotta keep the flow downhill.

More of a question is, why did Honda make the main tank only able to extract the top half?
My petrol "straw" is like 3 inches long, it takes all my willpower not to slice 2 inches off it everytime I have to remove the gas tap. >:(
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Buber

• A bit of spanner spinner, but definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • #820 on old mailing list.... :)
    • Mountain Chalets in Polands
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:56:54 pm »
So you say that filter is not needed? Others say cheap insurance? I will tell you my short story:
I'm on way back home from decent trip (2000 kms), and 120kms before the end I can feel that gas it getting loose. "aha, those old gas cables are giving way" methinks, and me's right. A moment later pulling cable is gone. So, short stop, TANK OUT, DISCONNECT FUEL LINE, fix the cables (little trick) FUEL LINE BACK, and going home. Some 50kms later i notice that my carbs  are overflowing.

To cut the story short - in the course of moving the tank in/out of the bike, a small bit of rubber from the hose went down the hose and blocked one of the float valves. Next thing I did home, was to fit a in-line filter. And don't tell me it's not needed. It was.

My 2 cents...
Welcome to my mountains!
Mountain Chalets

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 12:39:53 am »
Yeah.  All you engineers on this forum are waaay better than those Honda jerks.  Heck, they can't even make a bike where all the rubber components lasts 35 years, maintenance free.  What incompetents!  How could they NOT have foreseen the imminent chipping off of fuel line rubber bits by home schooled mechanics? :o

What were they thinking, only one fuel supply filter.  It's negligence, I  tell ya, Negligence!  They must have it in for biker punishment.  Any lawyers on here want to start a class action suit, so we can recoup the cost of all the carb rebuilds, pain and suffering, etc.?

Gonna buy me some stock in a filter company, me thinks.   I foresee a huge upturn in future business.  Maybe THAT will get the economy back on track!  The future looks bright!

;D ;D

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

masonryman

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 02:58:37 am »
In A perfect world with a perfectly maintained bike the in line is not needed, but the simple fact is, most of us are not perfect and most of us are riding not perfectly maintained bikes. I bought mine for $200.00 it had all kinds of stuff  in the tank and not so much as a screen in the petcock. I could spend $2.00 on a in line and ride today or $40.00 rebuilding the petcock on a $200.00 motorcycle and ride in 2 weeks when the parts come in.

Not perfect, just a bricklayer who wants to ride his cheap motorcycle.

And that is the real world truth

Mark

Offline Buber

• A bit of spanner spinner, but definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • #820 on old mailing list.... :)
    • Mountain Chalets in Polands
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 03:04:52 am »
A ha ha... very funny. As it happens it was not Honda fuel line. But no matter. With hard-core approach like that, of course you're right. But now, let's go back to planet earth, where not everybody is swapping everything in their old bikes for NOS parts, but just tries to ride the bike now and then...

So, when you ride your 30+ years motorcycle, nothing ever happens? is that right?

I honestly don't want to argue or fight. My previous post was just saying that fuel filter may have sense after all. And despite immeasurable wisdom of Honda engineers of their day, there's still room for improvement, and this forum is the best example of it. Ask Hondaman.

Use the filter if you want. I will, because it costs me nearly nothing, yet it may prevent "something".

peace.....
Welcome to my mountains!
Mountain Chalets

Offline Grumpol

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 03:18:52 am »
Yeah.  All you engineers on this forum are waaay better than those Honda jerks.  Heck, they can't even make a bike where all the rubber components lasts 35 years, maintenance free.  What incompetents!  How could they NOT have foreseen the imminent chipping off of fuel line rubber bits by home schooled mechanics? :o

What were they thinking, only one fuel supply filter.  It's negligence, I  tell ya, Negligence!  They must have it in for biker punishment.  Any lawyers on here want to start a class action suit, so we can recoup the cost of all the carb rebuilds, pain and suffering, etc.?

Gonna buy me some stock in a filter company, me thinks.   I foresee a huge upturn in future business.  Maybe THAT will get the economy back on track!  The future looks bright!

;D ;D

The engineers at nasa spent billions on the shuttles, used the latest technology and the highest of safety protocol yet seven astronauts were blown to pieces in seconds.........
Are you saying nasa is less capable than honda was 30 years ago?
Get real and learn a little about dealing with people for #$%*s sake

Offline aussie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 03:30:11 am »
I agree with grumpol, Two Tired sounds like you need to go and have a good sleep.

Most of your post are agressive, and it seems you get off on making people feel small.

Cut the guy some slack, where not experts just a bunch of blokes trying to keep some old Hondas running.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 04:55:17 am »
Regardless of the inline filter issue, cb350twin, re-route your fuel line.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 05:17:17 am »
The engineers at nasa spent billions on the shuttles, used the latest technology and the highest of safety protocol yet seven astronauts were blown to pieces in seconds.........
Are you saying nasa is less capable than honda was 30 years ago?
Get real and learn a little about dealing with people for #$%*s sake

Yup - very true...and that was down to the failure of.....a simple o-ring! I worked on some of the modelling post disaster that proved the cause. If an o-ring can bring down the massive excellence of technology that is a brand new shuttle don't you think a perfect NOS Honda could send some crud down the line despite having an in-tank filter? Of course it could - this is the real world, s**t happens and there's nothing wrong with using an in-line filter to reduce the probability that the s**t will happen to you!

I use 'em too and they're GREAT! .....unless they get an airlock in them  ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 06:06:43 am »
Jeez, Lloyd, you're really going off this time.  This has been a big issue with you for a long time, now.  Seriously, why does it bother you so much if somebody else wants to use an in-line filter on their own bike?  As long as the line is routed correctly, it's not going to hurt anything. 

Offline donny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 07:43:07 am »
I have a couple of rusty tanks with the petcock brass pipe & filter the PO lost.  The F cap will not stop rain water, so I like to see what is going into the carbs.  I use an inline filter. It will clog up, replace it. okay..so I have some upkeep to do.
2007 Husqvarna self propelled lawn mower    1976F    1971K    1974K      1990 FXRS-SP