Author Topic: For those of you who run inline fuel filters  (Read 32454 times)

KingCustomCycles.com

Re: For those of you who run inline fuel filters
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2009, 09:04:40 am »
I sealed my tank and run a pressurized "head" of dry nitrogen above the fuel. (kidding) I do like the idea of multiple inline filters though.  I am saving up my aluminum cans to buy all the clamps needed now.   ::)

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
You mean you use clamps?

I'm feeling more and more ghetto at times.....
I haven't used any clamps on my fuel line in a while.

::)

(let the flaming ball on wheels jokes begin)
l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

masonryman

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2009, 11:06:29 am »
me neather Soos, gravity system, no pressure, tanks off frequently

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »
An in-line filter isn't a band-aid for a broken or missing petcock filter.  It's an inexpensive, easy to install, and viable alternative to replacing the stock filter.  Simple as that.  It does the exact same job, and does it just as well, and as long as it's installed properly (as anything on your bike should be) it will cause no problems. 

I don't think it is exactly the same.  The inlines collect debris and hold it.  If it collects enough debris, the filter becomes restrictive. The intank type is where the fuel is, and the sloshing clears debris away from the filter, allowing full flow.  Any debris present, stays in the tank where you can flush the entire tank if your tank is manufacturing debris, or you are constantly putting more debris in the tank.  In this regard

An inline filter must be added to routine maintenance (replacement) as its action of filtering and trapping particles will eventually restrict fuel flow, and this WILL cause problems.  The maintenance schedule must created or specified to replace the inline filter at an interval greater than the debris introduction into the tank.  Anyone care to guess what the introduction rate is?
The filter's particle size specification need only be slightly smaller than the smallest orifice in the carbs. This is most often the Slow/Pilot/Idle jet.  Particles smaller than the orifice pass right on through the carbs without collection or stoppage.
In this regard, you are adding to your maintenance chores if your chosen filter is trapping too small of a particle size, and preventing this self cleaning action.

Finally, have any of you filter clean freaks put filters on your carb vents?  These are normally ported directly to the dirty, dusty, filthy atmosphere, in the same way the fuel tank vent without any filtering whatsoever.  If you are obsessive about dirty fuel entering you carbs, why aren't you the least bit concerned about these other avenues of direct dirt injection?

In the barnstorming days.  Pilots would carry a chamois with them.  This chamois was used as a filter for fuel being added to the fuel tanks.  (fuel was often brought to them in 5 gallon cans from local gas stations.)
This helped keep the entire fuel system cleaner, and help prevent engine stoppages from clogged inline fuel filters.

Do you inline filter advocates pre-filter the gas getting to your tank as well?

I guess I really don't care if you want to install inline on your fuel system.  (I haven't needed them on any bike I've owner since 1967. And, have removed them from machines that I have collected.)  But, it is another item to put on the checklist when the engine stops performing, which may or may not add to the repair time needed to get you going again.  If you are a competent enough mechanic, this is of little issue.  It's the inexperienced that I try to guide.  In-lines are not a panacea or a substitute for a clean tank and filter.  And not all newbies need to be advised that an inline filter is essential for proper operation of these old machines.  It quite simply is just another add on of dubious value.

There WAS one time where I wished I'd used an in-line.  That was on my CX500.  The PO had removed the in-tank filter, and I cleaned the carbs twice before discovering there was NO fuel filter at all.  ::)  My bad.  At least there were only two carbs.

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2009, 01:44:19 pm »
Seriously, Lloyd.  It takes all of about ten seconds to replace an in-line filter. 

Added maintenance has always been your biggest argument against them, and it remains a very weak one at that. 

I've never been one who feels I need more filtration than the stock filter provides, but when given the option of ordering and waiting for a stock replacement, or just going down the street and picking up an in-line filter that will work just as well, I go for option 2. 

I agree with you that adding an in-line filter is not a good replacement for having a clean, rust-free tank, and I've never advocated them as such.  On the contrary, a stock filter sock will allow you to ride much, much longer with a large amount of debris in your tank than an in-line filter will.  So in reality, the choice is between two different types of maintenance/upkeep, and has nothing to do with whether or not you're a "competent enough mechanic".  Insults like that don't help further your position, by the way, but I don't think you care.

I'm curious:  how often do you remove your petcock to inspect the filter to make sure it's doing its job?  How long does the procedure take?         

Offline themotoworks

• addict
  • Enthusiast
    • roc city cafe racers
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2009, 03:53:37 pm »
hrm... I love and hate inlines, the petcock on my 400f was beat to #$%* and the screen was torn up, the tank was rusty and the shop "sealed" it... yet it still flaked.  for me, it was either run with no filter, and deal with the carbs overflowing every other stop until i beat them about with a wrench, or run the inline and replace it every 500 miles. seemed like a no brainer to just carry 3 or 4 $2 filters in jacket... well, no worries anymore since I did the aluminum tank for it, but seriously, they're a good way to keep an old bike running well
www.roccitycafe.com <- my sideline turned living

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2009, 07:37:37 pm »
Seriously, Lloyd.  It takes all of about ten seconds to replace an in-line filter. 
Seriously, Gordon, how can you know how every inline filter was installed or implemented?  For example, it takes more than ten seconds to unscrew a single screw clamp.  How could you reasonably assume that no in line filter would incorporate one of these in its installation?
Even if it WAS just ten seconds.  It is still ten seconds diverted away from something more productive or enjoyable.

Added maintenance has always been your biggest argument against them, and it remains a very weak one at that. 
Stating that it's weak doesn't make it so.  It is added maintenance, non-zero cost, and unnecessary complexity, if you insist on defining it so.

I've never been one who feels I need more filtration than the stock filter provides, but when given the option of ordering and waiting for a stock replacement, or just going down the street and picking up an in-line filter that will work just as well, I go for option 2. 
I've already explained how it doesn't work as well as the in tank type by virtue of its root principle of operation.  It is your choice to reject that if that is your whim.

I agree with you that adding an in-line filter is not a good replacement for having a clean, rust-free tank, and I've never advocated them as such.  On the contrary, a stock filter sock will allow you to ride much, much longer with a large amount of debris in your tank than an in-line filter will.  So in reality, the choice is between two different types of maintenance/upkeep, and has nothing to do with whether or not you're a "competent enough mechanic".  Insults like that don't help further your position, by the way, but I don't think you care.

There was no insult intended.  It was a simple statement referring to the range of mechanical ability present within the forum's population.  I rather resent you twisting my words to your own purposes.  Are you implying that adding an inline filter makes a mechanic competent?   All I meant was that if the mechanic understands the fuel system function, they can decide for themselves if they can make fuel delivery modifications with the correct impact.  You can evaluate yourself as you desire.  I'm not making any assessment on specific individuals.  Conversely, if you are arguing that anyone who posts here is automatically an expert mechanic, you clearly haven't read where new posters have proclaimed themselves deficient in mechanical ability.  While not exactly incompetent, an experienced mechanic could not remain in business if they had to rebuild the same carbs for the same customer 3 or 4 times.  I rather think any customer would evaluate such action as incompetent, particularly if they had to pay 3 or 4 times the cost of doing just one carb overhaul.   Have you read any posts about rebuilding carbs lately?

However, if the same rationale applied to additional fuel filters, were the same as other aspects of the MC, do you add or replace air filters?  Are two pods in series better than just one, just for added cheap insurance?
If your tach goes defective, do you place another one that works correctly right next to it, or on top of it?
If you break a rear view mirror, do you just add another one that works and leave the broken one in place?  To me, this is the same ideology of adding in-line fuel filters.

However, if for some reason, one is not able or willing to fix or repair the intank or petcock type of fuel filter, in-lines are the next best thing, if sized correctly, and implemented compatibly with gravity feed systems.

I'm curious:  how often do you remove your petcock to inspect the filter to make sure it's doing its job?  How long does the procedure take?         
Depends on the type.  I usually only have to do the inside type once during a refurb and never again.  The petcocks with the sediment bowls and screen, I attend to every three or four years, I guess.  Unscrew the bowl, look at the contents, flush with some brake kleener, look at the screen, remove if necessary and clean, but usually just re install the sediment bowl and check for leaks. 2-3 minutes, I guess.
The in-tank types don't need to be removed routinely.  Just look in the tank when the fuel level is low.  If you see debris in there, then flush the tank while it is inverted, I suppose.  Never had that problem after a refurb, though.

Cheers,

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2009, 09:44:30 pm »

Did it for the first time in 29 years on the XS650.  Only because I was going to paint the tank.  The Yamaha filters are bulletproof and to tell the truth when I pulled the petcock and filter out of the 750F tank I was suprised at what a POS it was.  If this is indicative of what passes for a filter on the CB750's then I can understand why some would add an inline. My experience is with the XS and there is no reason to even consider an inline for that bike.  I guess I will see how well the new filter holds up on the Honda.  At least I have just finished cleaning the Honda tank and it spotless now.

Offline Buber

• A bit of spanner spinner, but definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • #820 on old mailing list.... :)
    • Mountain Chalets in Polands
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2009, 12:14:50 am »
If you are a competent enough mechanic, this is of little issue.  It's the inexperienced that I try to guide. 
You know, sometimes looking at your posts I feel sorry for the "young and inexperienced". On another forum I'm reading sometimes, there's somebody just like you. That is - a very (really, VERY) experienced mechanic with lots of knowledge, who's main occupation is bashing the advices of pretty much everybody else, with usual explanation - "do it as per factory service manual" and/or "leave it to professional mechanic".

Sorry. But to me such advice is useless. And arguing over details "how many minutes you need for filter change" doesn't make sense at all.
Lets for a change presume that readers have brains too, and simply say "I don't think it's necessary, but in some cases it may help". And let the people themselves figure out what's better for them.

So, as somebody posted above, let's wake up, smell the coffee and look at the real world we are living in. World of real problems with real solutions, instead of theoretical disputations.

Peace..
Welcome to my mountains!
Mountain Chalets

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2009, 05:04:32 am »
First of all, I count myself as mechanically very competent...!  :D

Saving ten seconds unplugging a see through inline filter is no issue - you're NEVER going to miss that ten seconds in your life. If you think you are TT, you need to get out more.

I've worked on plenty of bikes where the tank filter is clogged with rubbish - not all bits in the tank are nice solids, some are gungey hydrocarbons that stick and clog and don't get flushed away by the swishing of petrol. Oh and if you're kidding yourself you can see if an in tank filter is clogged by looking for debris when you fill the tank then I'd say you're exactly the sort of rider who should be adding another filter - like looking in the tank will tell you anything!?

But - the bottom line is, each to his own. If you think it's wrong TT, hey that's your world, your map, your opinon. It doesn't mean everyone else has to follow or has the same view.

Chill out man! ;)
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2009, 05:55:53 am »
Well let's see whare we are. There are those that use filters and thsoe that don't. Those that don't use filters happily ride their bikes. Those that do use filters happily ride their bikes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:38:56 am by BobbyR »
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2009, 06:51:00 am »
Well let's see where we are. There are those that use filters and those that don't. Those that don't happily ride their bikes. Those that do happily ride their bikes.

actually... i think there might be one... that rides and grumbles about how stupid everyone is and is totally bent on the subject.
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

billybobobrain

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:41 am »
Riding totaly bent is never a good idea unless you have a purple dinosaur on board, with a hand full of inline filters.

billybobobrain

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2009, 12:35:10 pm »
Now that's just sick....icey creamy icey creamy, all the time.... ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Blueridgerunner

• Enthusiast
  • CB650 no longer, but do have an 87 GL1200
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2009, 01:14:40 pm »
Fer cryin out loud.. run 'em, don't run 'em who cares? I use an in-line with no problems, don't care if you do or not.  ::)
Said James "In my opinion,  there's nothing in this world, beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl"

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Offline tonycb650

• Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2009, 04:16:13 pm »
+1. I run inline filters on all my bikes, 4-wheelers, 3-wheelers, lawnmower, etc. and have NEVER, NOT ONCE had any problem what so ever.
80cb650c 80 cm400

Offline Buber

• A bit of spanner spinner, but definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • #820 on old mailing list.... :)
    • Mountain Chalets in Polands
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2009, 11:09:13 pm »
+1. I run inline filters on all my bikes, 4-wheelers, 3-wheelers, lawnmower, etc. and have NEVER, NOT ONCE had any problem what so ever.
There you go. You must be this poor inexperienced beginner.... But don't worry! We'll fix you right-o!  ;D ;D ;D
Welcome to my mountains!
Mountain Chalets

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2009, 06:46:00 am »
There you go. You must be this poor inexperienced beginner.... But don't worry! We'll fix you right-o!  ;D ;D ;D

i was thinking 1%er    ;D ;D

don't worry buber... your time will come... at least TT is convinced of that! 
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2009, 11:48:59 am »
...I'll go get the riding crop.
sounds like we're going to keep flogging this dead horse.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

billybobobrain

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2009, 05:33:14 pm »
 :o

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2009, 07:20:35 pm »
Well put Billy
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline cb350twin

• Hot Shot
    • http://mail.google.com/a/sohc4.net/
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2009, 12:48:52 am »
 :D ;D I've never thought this thread  would go on like this... I fine it mildly amusing and mildly annoying what dose that make me?  ;)
1975 CB 750 K5
1972 CB 350 Twin K4
1972 CB 500 Four K1

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2009, 06:47:06 am »
:D ;D I've never thought this thread  would go on like this...   ;)

then you didn't do your searchfu like you were sposed to!   :P  damn thats annnoying!   ;D
just kidding man... i like rehashing stuff and watching all the crazies come out of the woodwork to either nail people on their ideas or about not searching.   :D

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2009, 05:38:57 pm »
I'm going to construct a fuel line entirely out of inline fuel filters.  I figure that if I get my gas clean enough, then when it burns it'll actually absorb pollution from the air rather than emit it.

;)

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0