Author Topic: LED tail light *new* Update: 4-22-09 Vids & PICS  (Read 18570 times)

ev0lution7

Re: LED tail light *new* you gotta check this out!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 08:26:35 am »
if you twist my arm hard enough i just might make you one ;) if you buy the parts.. did you guys like the night shots??? my whole yard was RED whith that brake light on!!!!!! it was crazy and the licence plate light is MUCH brighter and nicer to see!! i dont care that its LED and LEDs didnt come on a CB750 after seeing this i'm not going back.... there is something to be said for safety on a bike like good tires you only have 2 and you cant do without 1 you are pretty much garenteed to crash if you loose one (ie flat) so saftey like brighter lights and stuff are nice improvements and it draws less on the charging system alot less!

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 09:16:08 am »

There is a LOT to be said for safety, and these lights are a great addition! Thank you!  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 09:22:18 am »
Thats really slick!! I like how you maintained the stock look.  My rear tailight was purchased through TruckLite.. which as their name suggests, they make lights of allll sorts for semis, rv's, trailers, and much, much more.  Literally, if you're standing 4 ft. away staring directly into it when the brakelight is on, it is almost TOO bright.  You have to look away... LED's are awesome.  I feel like I dont have to worry as much about being taken out from behind anymore.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 09:23:14 am »
Wow this is great. Id be interested in a simple kit that could be installed easily.

thanks!
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 10:59:04 am »
Very nice work Evo. I would rather look a tiny bit less that stock than have a MiniVan run me over. Aslo the power savings could go to better headlight.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline winnipeg550guy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 01:01:00 pm »
Great job, eVo! Nice planning: if you go me some dimensions, I could make a circuit board up: maybe we could create an SOHC4 taillite kit?

Is it to early to send paypal payment yet??? Me and electrical just don't get along, would definitely be interested.
74\' 550k., 1965 Suzuki K15, 1978 BMW R80/7

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 01:09:22 pm »
Nice work, and a good write-up. :)  You should post this in the "Tricks & Tips" section, or request that it be added to the FAQ, because LED lights are definitely a frequently asked question. 

+1
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »
maybe we could create an SOHC4 taillite kit?

+1

+3  ;D
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

ev0lution7

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 01:25:12 pm »
all i would need is your stock houseing lenz and "stanley backing plate" and the 2 wires sticking out of it and i could prol do 2 or 3 a week it would cost about $75 for materials labor and return shipping and it would be upto you to ship it to me if you guys dont want to do electrical... i really didnt think that this would be this much of a big hit i just got this idea the other day and i was in my slippers sunday morning and i had already gotten the tail light kit and i just sat down and did it... anyways glad you guys enjoy it and yes i like the stock look that is what drove me to update the stock parts with LEDs for a modern light and LEDs last longer and if 1 burns out its no big deal cuz you have LOTS of spares in the cluster now if like half burn out thats a little different.. its not on a car so your not going to use this light near as much as if you commuted to and from work 12 months out of the year and it is a litttle hard to transport large items on a bike.

Offline old76cr

• Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »
I got one of these 13 led replacement taillight bulbs from Aerostich last year. The red one. Makes my white licence plate show up pink ! (not that there's anything wrong with that...) so I'm thinking of upgrading to the 39 led white model.  Not sure of the current draw though.  Check it out   http://www.aerostich.com/aerosearch.php?restrict=Static&q=led+bulb
cb750 k5                                                                     76 Husqvarna 250cr                                                       77 Can-Am 175   1973 honda SL125

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 01:46:24 pm »
i just went to harbor freight and purchased this kit and gonna give it a go in a day or two.

ev0lution7

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 04:32:41 pm »
I got one of these 13 led replacement taillight bulbs from Aerostich last year. The red one. Makes my white licence plate show up pink ! (not that there's anything wrong with that...) so I'm thinking of upgrading to the 39 led white model.  Not sure of the current draw though.  Check it out   http://www.aerostich.com/aerosearch.php?restrict=Static&q=led+bulb

problem is that white LEDS are dim in a RED LENZ!!!!!! you need RED LEDs for a Red LENZ if you want a yellow light you need YELLOW LEDs or it will be very DIM!!!! trust me i have played with LEDs for years now on little projects here and there they do not function like a incadecent. And yes i relize that that is the cheap way to make a LED tail light but mine looks stock on the outside and makes that 1157 drop in look like a candle compared to a spot light!

BTW i'm almost done with my LED turn signal project i will post that next! hopefully i will have some time tonight to take pictures so you can check it out they dont seem to be as bright at many angles... BUT i'm making up for that by having the bright tail light that shines bright to the side... and it does grab attention!

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 06:05:40 pm »
can anyone find the thread where Hondaman had studied this topic? lots of info there.
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 06:36:43 pm »
thats the kit i bought today at harbor freight, from what i could tell there is no other kit there that fits the description.

ev0lution7

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 09:31:09 pm »
yes that is the kit at H-Freight!!! see the side reflectors/ side leds that is the oneyour going to remove off the other cluster to make a total of 2 side LED marker lights! you will see it when you take them apart! i just got my LED rear turn signals done... they look awsome and only draw 100mA btw all my readings were done on a stock honda CB750 battery w/o the bike running so battery voltage was at 12.85v it does matter on that voltage because 13.8v when the bike is running is different Amps draw.

ev0lution7

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 10:17:42 pm »
i took the guts out of my turn signal and reused the rubber boot and hot glued the Yellow LEDs left over from my tail light project and also i bought some brighter leds at kragen.

here is the pictures.

ev0lution7

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 10:25:24 pm »
here is the night pictures the stock 1156 draws 1.67A btw

ev0lution7

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 10:36:11 pm »
i am working on the front signals only probelm is the bulb on my bike is a 1157 (2way) and so my thought is this i got some led marker lights with stud.. and i removed the stud and used short studs from an old battery and screwed the light with stud into the end of the headlight bolts that hold the head light on tell me what you guys think?

then after that i was going to wire in the lights as a marker light and turn the turn signals into LEDS and make it a turn signal ONLY instead of marker light / turnsignal...

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 01:02:26 am »
could you possibly post a link showing which led turn signals you got from kragens/oreilys?

is this on it

http://shop.oreillyauto.com:80/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BLZ&MfrPartNumber=C586A&CategoryCode=3151B

also can you go into detail on how you wired the turn signals? thanks
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:10:30 am by andy8190 »

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 05:08:49 am »
Excellent work ev0! 

Very inspirational. 

Thanks for the excellent write up.
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 06:30:57 am »
This isnt necessarily the place to post, but if someone knows my problem feel free to PM/email me the answer (don't like being a thread-jacker..)

I noticed you had rear running-lights... I am running stock signals on a stock harness (minus the rear brake.. but that shouldnt have any effect on signals?) and I have no rear running-lights. Brake light and tailight work awesome.  Rear and front signals, check... Front runninglight, check.  But No rear runninglights.  I am horrible with electronics... Anyone have any suggestions?

PS. fuses are in perfect order.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 07:18:44 am »
Grove that is normal, these bikes don't have rear running lights just turn signals. Running lights on the rear of as vehicle rmust be Red not Yellow.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

ev0lution7

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 08:23:14 am »
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BLZ&MfrPartNumber=C586A&CategoryCode=3151B

thats the one i used from kragen

also there is another one like it but it has a "stud" for mounting that is what i used for the front on the headlight..

glad you guys like it.

here is the link to the front turn/ marker light

http://www.ledlight.com/s25-25-ultra-bright-smt-led-light.aspx
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:24:54 am by ev0lution7 »

ev0lution7

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2009, 09:52:41 pm »
i've added more relays for the coil and the brakes and the horn. i will post pictures when its all done.

any updates on your guys tail lights?