Author Topic: Ran great last week - come back this week and... not so much  (Read 8408 times)

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Re: Ran great last week - come back this week and... not so much
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 01:15:44 pm »
Some observations:  And note I'm trying to be objective, not harsh, simply to get the point across quickly.

If I thought I knew something I might get uppity. Luckily I know I don't  ;D

In the video, you prolonged the start up process by removing the choke.  If it's cold, leave it on for start up.  You don't have an accelerator pump to add extra fuel during cold start. But, the choke plates (not slides) closed at the carb entrance, increase the throat vacuum applied to all the jets.  The throttle valve and main are mostly closed when the throttle is placed in the idle position.  If you want more fuel during cold start, whack the throttle open while cranking with the choke closed, so the throttle valve can supply fuel as well.

Can do. My method with the choke is decidedly unscientific. I'll supress my need for instant gratification  :D

D8 plugs don't run well cold, particularly at idle, as they are designed to wick away heat from the chamber.  Don't expect it to start and run at idle when cold.  Use the 2000 or 3000 RPM throttle position when it's cold for starting.  Many other machines change the idle position upward when choke is applied.  Honda felt that 750 owners were smart enough to operate the throttle manually when the engine was cold.

That's excellent info! I'm still getting a feel for what's normal on start with the only baseline I have being how it behaved during the 2 weeks I rode it before teardown.

Those blacken plugs show conductive soot between the center electrode and the plug body.  Soot is conductive.  Why would electricity leap the difficult spark gap, when it could just meander the soot trail?

Referring to the pic of the plugs I just replaced (1st one) or the fresh set?

Plug chops need to be done when the engine is making power.  Not much power is made by the engine when the bike is on the center stand and the rear wheel free wheeling. 
Further, your complaint was idle, and you revved the engine so as to operate on a completely different jet supply than idle and the engine combustion was at far higher temps then at idle.  Doesn't this seem a bit unreasonable to diagnose an idle mixture or start up issue?

So I want to pull the plugs from various throttle positions? That would make sense  ;D

For my purposes then (I'm about a mile+ away from pavement down a gravel road and the rest of the driveway is steeper and rutted) the chop while in the garage is only good for diagnosing the idle circuit?

Finding neutral with the clutch in will be easier if you make the rear wheel move (either direction).
;D Not sure what my damage was there. Lost the neutral light on putting it back together - one of the electrical issues I have to iron out. Being overly cautious and worried about just where the clutch was going to engage.

Although, it is worth while to check the plug cap resistance, it doesn't sound (when running) like there is a specific ignition issue at all.

That eases my mind quite a bit.

During electrical start up, the starting motor puts a big draw on the battery.  While supplying these large currents, the battery voltage dips.  As the coils rely on source voltage to make spark voltage, a dip in supply means a dip in capability.  Cold engines are harder to turn over than hot ones, leading to higher current draw from the starter motor.
If the bike's electrical connectors, switches, etc. in the path between battery and coils is also losing voltage, the starter dip plus those losses might make the spark marginal during electric start.  And, this would be worsened if the headlight is on as well, adding it's current draw.  To determine if this is part of your start up issue.  Use a voltmeter to check the voltage getting to the coils during start up.  If below 9V, then suspect a spark problem at startup.

Time to get a voltmeter then! Mostly I'm worried about drawing the battery down too hard trying to get it started over weeks/months. It's intended to be a reliable daily rider but I have no idea what my sub 5 mile partial highway commute twice a day will end up doing on the charging end.

Finally, quick starts were alway indicative of recent tune up completion.  Valve settings, timing, dwell, air filter, cam chain adjust, and new spark plug all made the bike (when new) start quickly.  They still ran crappy when cold, and D8 plugs extended the "crappy" period duration.  Extra RPM would compensate for this somewhat.  But, if the engine is cold, don't try to start it with the controls set where it is known to run crappy.

Seems like I'll know where it's known to run crappy once I log a little more time with it  ;D Would you suggest D7's (hotter) or something else? I suppose I'll want to know a little more about the condition of the combustion under load before thinking about changing to a different plug?

Hope this helps,

Most definitely! I really appreciate the in depth reply!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:20:14 pm by Iggy »

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 02:34:48 pm »
Glad to see the monkey has stopped smoking but can you tell him to please wear a helmet when riding his bike! :D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 05:38:09 pm »
Those blacken plugs show conductive soot between the center electrode and the plug body.  Soot is conductive.  Why would electricity leap the difficult spark gap, when it could just meander the soot trail?

Referring to the pic of the plugs I just replaced (1st one) or the fresh set?
The old plugs... which likely made the engine harder to start.

Plug chops need to be done when the engine is making power.  Not much power is made by the engine when the bike is on the center stand and the rear wheel free wheeling. 
Further, your complaint was idle, and you revved the engine so as to operate on a completely different jet supply than idle and the engine combustion was at far higher temps then at idle.  Doesn't this seem a bit unreasonable to diagnose an idle mixture or start up issue?

So I want to pull the plugs from various throttle positions? That would make sense  ;D
The engine must be making power, under load.

For my purposes then (I'm about a mile+ away from pavement down a gravel road and the rest of the driveway is steeper and rutted) the chop while in the garage is only good for diagnosing the idle circuit?
yes at best.  But, deposits will take a very long time to show.

Finally, quick starts were alway indicative of recent tune up completion.  Valve settings, timing, dwell, air filter, cam chain adjust, and new spark plug all made the bike (when new) start quickly.  They still ran crappy when cold, and D8 plugs extended the "crappy" period duration.  Extra RPM would compensate for this somewhat.  But, if the engine is cold, don't try to start it with the controls set where it is known to run crappy.

Seems like I'll know where it's known to run crappy once I log a little more time with it  ;D Would you suggest D7's (hotter) or something else? I suppose I'll want to know a little more about the condition of the combustion under load before thinking about changing to a different plug?

If you are going to run the engine in cold weather, D7s are suggested.  However, the engine needs D8s when run hard and hot.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 06:26:24 pm »
Glad to see the monkey has stopped smoking but can you tell him to please wear a helmet when riding his bike! :D

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 06:34:37 pm »

yes at best.  But, deposits will take a very long time to show.

Ah well, more time to learn about wiring  ;D

If you are going to run the engine in cold weather, D7s are suggested.  However, the engine needs D8s when run hard and hot.

More good stuff. Not likely to be too much on the hot and hard action going on I think. Probably the farthest afield I'll take it is Portland so 3 hours hiway riding every now and again and some fun time in the mountains.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 09:51:12 am »
Sounds like your getting good help, TT is the man, and not just him ya'll are great people, gotta remember these ol' dogs are cold blooded and don't like to run the greatest when cold. Mine would get tempermental if I started it cold and didn't give it atleast half choke for the first minute. On good days when its like 70 deg f out I wouldn't need choke but for just startup and that's it.

I would think that if it was a timing adavance issue it would hesitate more when you goose the throttle. It sounds like it is responding well to adavancing with giving it fast and slow throttle, remember too that the altenator doesn't kick in until 1,200-1,400 rpm's so if you let it idle too long at 1000 or lower that it will drain on the battery.
Learning more on wiring.....Hello Mr. birdsnest behind the headlight ( wrinkles start to form on the forehead :P ) the wiring on these are something else, just make sure you clean all the connectors and apply alittle dielectric grease while your in there.

Man if that's your pop's place he is in heaven  8), looks awesome from here!
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 10:39:55 am »
Sounds like your getting good help, TT is the man, and not just him ya'll are great people, gotta remember these ol' dogs are cold blooded and don't like to run the greatest when cold. Mine would get tempermental if I started it cold and didn't give it atleast half choke for the first minute. On good days when its like 70 deg f out I wouldn't need choke but for just startup and that's it.

Mmmm, I think the overly rich condition it was in prior to rebuild let it crank up pretty easily as well. Of course that was the middle of last summer to.

TT seems to know just about everything and I suspect he's right on the money about my technique when starting cold.

I would think that if it was a timing adavance issue it would hesitate more when you goose the throttle. It sounds like it is responding well to adavancing with giving it fast and slow throttle, remember too that the altenator doesn't kick in until 1,200-1,400 rpm's so if you let it idle too long at 1000 or lower that it will drain on the battery.
Learning more on wiring.....Hello Mr. birdsnest behind the headlight ( wrinkles start to form on the forehead :P ) the wiring on these are something else, just make sure you clean all the connectors and apply alittle dielectric grease while your in there.

Yup, get to start tracking things down this weekend. Might even take it home! Once it's on a road I think I'll get a better idea of how well it's tuned.

Man if that's your pop's place he is in heaven  8), looks awesome from here!

He did a nice job I'll admit  ;D Lucky for me he has a 2 car garage. I think most of my friends wouldn't relish having my machine taking up space for 8 months. Speaking of which I need to cultivate some suburban friends with garages  ;D ;D ;D I don't think my urban neighbors would appreciate a curb side tune-up very much.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:41:41 am by Iggy »

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 11:41:06 pm »
Thought I'd return and report.

Overall it's been a little worse over the course of the last couple weeks.

Tried a little experiment today and started it up using the kick in morning. Took about 6 go's but came up a lot faster than using the starter motor.

This makes me wonder that I either have an old battery or the charging system isn't quite up to snuff or I'm fouling my plugs or the valves are out of adjustment enough to cause hard starting or some combination of all of the above. Hmmmm.  ;D

Still starts right up no problem once it's warm.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 12:44:37 am »
Go back to drawing board, turn mixture screws back in then do the 1 turn out trick on all four.
Check your plugs (better still 4 new ones) make sure all sparking.
charge battery to full charge.
Check gap on valves.
After that you've probably given the bike its' best chance to start well.....lots a luck.....Hush.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!