Author Topic: How to repair cracked sidecovers  (Read 5141 times)

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
How to repair cracked sidecovers
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:00:12 pm »
A friend of mine showed me the results of a trick he was told. I was so amazed but hoped never to need to put it to the test.

Unfortunately I have had to do it before I would have ever wanted, as I dropped my bike a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously you need to pick up every single chip and piece of the cracked part and compose the jigsaw. Just use a little drop of loctite to hold everything into place

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
Re: How to repair cracked sidecovers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 03:02:47 pm »
From the inside, cover the crack with loctite and quickly cover the glue with baking soda -I learnt this trick in this forum- Please note that in this example, there is a part where the blinker stem attaches to, so the plastic must be flat. In that point, a big amount of material is not desirable.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:08:13 pm »
Now is where the unusual part comes. You will need a discarded sidecover of the same material and some acetone, but not the one to clean nail polish, but the industrial type -bought mine in a paint shop-. Cut some little pieces of the old sidecover and put them in a closed recipient with the acetone, just enough to cover the pieces. Don't worry about the paint, just let it soak for some hours or even one day. The acetone will dissolve the plastic and leave a messy goo.

We will use this goo to glue the crack. The acetone will eat through the sidecover-to-be-repaired, melting the plastic together. It takes a couple of days -even more- to fully cure, as the acetone from the outside evaporates quickly while inside dries slowly. Look at the pictures how the colour of the glue changes as it dries. Also, make sure the part to be glued is flat, as the goo tends to slip.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 03:11:37 pm »
See these pictures to notice the change in color with the passing hours/days -just put some goo there even if not needed, to check how hard it stuck. Impossible to remove it with an x-acto knife, it just melted with the plastic as if it was the same.

The reason to cover the whole crack with loctite -super-glue- is to avoid the acetone to go past the crack and ruin the paint in the other side of the crack.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:14:21 pm »
And finally, to touch up the paint, just used the closest match in nail polish I found at a Dollar Tree -well, the spanish equivalent-. Be aware that nail polish have solvent, so if you paint over your paint, it will eat it up in seconds, so no chance to wipe it out.

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:57:18 pm »
welcome back raul, this is a nice trick , haven't heard the baking soda version though .... whats that all about

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:25:26 pm »
welcome back raul, this is a nice trick , haven't heard the baking soda version though .... whats that all about
+1  ???

what if you wanted to repaint/finish the "pretty" side, could you goop it and sand it down for filler etc...?

oh yeah, thanks for the tip!
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 02:51:21 am »
I think I read about the baking soda from Terry in Australia. The idea is to pour some baking soda over the liquid super-glue. It reacts and form a hard compound that reinforces the union. i used it first in a battery cover from my TV remote -you know, they spend more time on the floor than on the couch. In the inside, with a knife, I cut the edges slightly at an angle, in such a way that when both parts are put together there is a slight groove instead of a hairline crack. Glue the parts together as usual, and then, pour superglue over the groove and baking soda over it. It will dry in seconds, blow the excess away and you are done. In fact, next time the remote fell, it broke at a different place, not at the repaired crack.

About using the acetone-plastic to repair the "pretty side", I think you can do it, but painters will surely have better options such as filler and the like, that you can sand and smooth out. This is intended to be a cheap solution, that reinforces the piece from the inside if you can live with a cracked cover instead of having it painted -or before you have it painted-

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 06:07:25 am »
I think it was Industrial Cafe who had a thread about modifying a seat cowl using the acetone-and-shavings technique.  He had problems with the edges of his repair when the part was heated in the sun several days after repair.  He was getting a ridge where the edge of the repair was.  Don't remember how it turned out but I think his theory was that the inside wasn't completely dry.  So, one might consider building up a repair like this in layers allowing several days drying time between them. 

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 03:46:42 pm »
I 'rebuilt' the badly cracked corner of my side cover using that 5 ton, two part epoxy that comes in those double syringe thingies?  I soaked a strip of fiberglass cloth with the epoxy and also put it generously over the afflicted area, then applied the patch (after I had cleaned the area well with alcohol solvent). It's rock hard now and the fiberglass really reinforces the multiple cracked area nicely. I could have even sanded it down smooth, like you would with fiberglass, but I didn't bother given that it's all hidden.

I'm sure the super glue and soda tricks works great but I don't know if I would trust it on such a broken up area, as shown in the first pictures of this post? Breaks that bad are repaired much stronger with a reinforcement backing material along with the glue, in my opinion.

(by the way, the odd  reddish tint is from the piece of cardboard I prepped the patch on - the epoxy picked up some of the dye, otherwise it would all be beige)
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike