Author Topic: Starting an 81 CB650 Custom after 1.5 years of sitting  (Read 3266 times)

rob

Starting an 81 CB650 Custom after 1.5 years of sitting
« on: April 17, 2005, 10:15:36 am »
Hi everyone,

I recently got an 81 CB650 Custom.  The previous owner has stored it in a shed for 1.5 years, and I am working on getting it started.

I have changd the spark plugs, oil, oil filter, battery, cleaned the gas tank, and added about 5 litres of new gas.  The engine turns over, the back wheel spins, but it doesn't catch.  The battery is freshly charged and it is turning over strongly, so I don't think it is an ignition problem.  I am relatively new to motorcycle repair and maintenance, and was wondering if anyone could give any ideas or advice on getting this going.  I was thinking of putting some chemicals through the carb to clean it out, is this a good idea?

Also, are there any other maintenance things that should be done on the bike after it has sat for a year and a half?  I was going to install a new chain as well, and the old cogs seem in pretty good shape.

Thanks,

Rob

El Taco

Re: Starting an 81 CB650 Custom after 1.5 years of sitting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 10:27:52 am »
You're on the right track. You've already done more than I normally do. Check the spark. That bike has electronic ignition, and if it won't spark, forget about getting it running right now. Unless power's not getting to the coils, you have something else wrong, and it'll cost you. I had one of those. The ignition modules were out, so I bypassed all of it and converted it to points.

Otherwise, spray some carb cleaner in all four carbs and give it a spin. If it fires, you're in luck. Take the carbs off and clean them like you've never cleaned before, then do it again.

Jeremy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 11:53:43 am »
Back wheel spins? Is it in neutral? Bike won't start in  gear

rob

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 01:49:40 pm »
Hi Thanks for the Feedback,

I am pretty sure the bike is in neutral, and I have the clutch in all the way.  Just to make sure, I have pushed "up" on the gear shift pedal a few times to put it in neutral, is that enough to make sure its in neutral?  Then, when I try to turn the engine on with the electric start, the rear wheel spins.  I thought this was normal behavior, but perhaps it isn't?  Its not spinning very fast when I try to start it, just a couple of RPM.  I haven't tried to stop the wheel spin, so I dont know how strongly it is spinning.

Thanks,

Rob

Chrisboden

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 02:14:58 pm »
Down a half-dozen times, then up halfway (1 soft click) once. :)

If you go up ALL the way (2 clicks) You've just put it in Second.

At least I *think* that's it, it's been a few years, lol.

rob

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 02:58:45 pm »
Thanks for that tip, I think I may have had the bike in gear.  Also, after reading around the web, I know that the top light on the dash was red, and I think it should be green to indicate that the bike is in neutral.  I am going to try to get down to the garage sometime today and try it out, hopefully it will run.

Rob

Ibsen

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 03:39:27 pm »
The neutral light is green. The red light is the oil pressure lamp.
This is how the lights are arranged on my 650:

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 06:26:13 pm »
The idiot lights changed by 81. But it is still a green light. If it was in gear with the clutch out it wouldnt spin at all.
Sounds like no spark.

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

rob

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 08:16:01 pm »
Yeah, I was in second instead of neutral.  After a few starts, the bike got going quite well.  I ran it for about 10 minutes or so, it engine seemed to be in pretty good shape.

It stalls when its idling so it will need some adjustment, and I will still probably clean the carbs out.

Thanks for the all the help on this!

Rob