Author Topic: Tuning cr's on CB400F  (Read 1040 times)

Offline riktaboy

Tuning cr's on CB400F
« on: August 18, 2009, 10:25:51 pm »
I have a modified CB400f that I'm trying to get the carbs tuned up on.
Here's the setup:
455cc big bore kit
ST-1 cam
CR-26's with K&N filters
Flowed head with heavy duty springs
electronic ignition(Boyer) and Accel coils
stock header w/ a little shorty exhaust(muffler) that is real loud and allows more air.

With the CR's stock from dynoman it was running real rich and had a bunch of flat spots.
So I changed 2 things on them, raised the needles 2 notches and went one size smaller on the pilot jets (63's)
Now it starts right up and doesn't flood if you touched the throttle before start up.
Pulls real nice up to about 6000rpm and then starts to feel fuel starved, won't do much above 90mph (speedo is broken, guesstimate).
Before I make more changes I thought I'd ask here for some input, thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
Re: Tuning cr's on CB400F
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:29:20 am »
Hi Rikta,

Have a work through of the info in this thread below, I don't think there's much better info about on this subject.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=42903.0

How do your settings compare to these? You should definitely be getting more than 90 out of it.

Offline riktaboy

Re: Tuning cr's on CB400F
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:46:38 pm »
Thanks for the link, I did have this one from before and was referencing it a bit and went with those settings to try at first.  I think I might just drop the needle back one position and hopefully that will bring back a bit of the top end.  It feels close, just getting shorted on the top.  Another thing is i'm at sea level also.