Author Topic: Just caught everything on fire!!!  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
Re: Just caught everything on fire!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 09:53:25 pm »
it's happened to me, too, except with ether. :P
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 10:25:16 pm »
ya i was reminded of the pics of the spikybike
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 05:33:34 am »
Crotch rocket anyone  :o

Seriously, glad you are ok. I've read enough of these threads (one was enough) that installed a fire extinguisher right next to my work bench. I've had enough fuel spills to make me wary.

Not trying to jack the thread, but oily rags have been mentioned. I can't remember, is it the ones that are exposed to oxygen or deprived of oxygen that will spontaneously combust? Just trying to figure out the best way of disposing of them without catching the side of the house on fire.

Thanks,

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 07:06:01 am »
Not trying to jack the thread, but oily rags have been mentioned. I can't remember, is it the ones that are exposed to oxygen or deprived of oxygen that will spontaneously combust? Just trying to figure out the best way of disposing of them without catching the side of the house on fire.

Thanks,

Brandon

They need sufficient air to oxidize, so you're supposed to store them in a sealed container.  I'm not sure about disposing of them, though.  I wash mine and reuse them. 

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 08:53:15 am »
In recent years I've switched to the paper-towel type (Scotch blue seems best), so I don't keep the rags around anymore. It costs a bit more, to be sure, but it is safer, and I have a small metal trash can outside, with a plastic garbage bag inside like a liner, where I dispose of them until it is full. Then I take it to the curb with the garbage, and hope the trash truck picks it up and makes it to the dump before they combust... :D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Sparked

• Hot Shot
  • Cheaper then therapy
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:09 am »

Thanks,

Brandon

They need sufficient air to oxidize, so you're supposed to store them in a sealed container.  I'm not sure about disposing of them, though.  I wash mine and reuse them. 

If you wash your oily rags make sure you air dry them.  DO NOT dry them in a dryer or if you do leave them in a pile. if they are warm, and piled together they can and probably will start on fire after a couple of hours once you've gone in the house and gone to bed. And if they do light up, it's going to be one hot fire.  I've seen it happen where kitchen rags (used with PAM then washed) light up a restaurant.
1972 CB350F
1982 CM450A
1961 Ford Falcon (time for four wheels)

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 04:06:48 am »
Thanks everyone for the explanation! I will have to get hold of a metal garbage container with a sealing lid. I mainly use heavy paper towels so I don't have to worry about washing them, but I would rather they don't catch on fire  :o

Thanks,

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com