Author Topic: 34 minutes and out for the season  (Read 5756 times)

Offline IHWillys

• Enthusiast
Re: 34 minutes and out for the season
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 08:40:40 am »
Sucks to be hit by an auto driver.  I've been there, done that, got the ambulance ride.  Worst for me was getting back onto a bike.  It will have been 15 years ago this June and I'm still not fully recovered mentally.  I guess that means that it permanently altered my thinking/feeling when on a bike in the city.  Unfortunately, it was more fun before.  However, riding is rewarding enough that I'm still putting two wheels and an engine between myself and pavement, but I tend toward country-side rides vs city commuting.

Losing the bike hurts whether you got 34 minutes or 34K miles, but there's plenty of bikes out there.  We only get the one body/mind/life.

Also, I'd now try to not be too rabid with the legal thing.  I was all fired up too but I regretted it later.  I wish I had handled things differently in that regard.

Better days ahead,

Ken

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 08:52:15 am »

Also, I'd now try to not be too rabid with the legal thing.  I was all fired up too but I regretted it later.  I wish I had handled things differently in that regard.

Better days ahead,

Ken

I'd say running a red light is inexcusable. And you'll have to excuse my language, but that bastard was, obviously enough, endangering lives doing so and it probably wasn't the first light he's run. Unless I know I can't stop, I stop for yellow lights even if I could "make it".
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 09:16:07 am »
yeah, as others have said, it sucks but any bike can be replaced.  ANY bike.  Long as you're still breathing and got all your limbs you can build another one.  Just make sure you squeeze the guy for the money you put into it (and make sure you charge him for the time you put in at a reasonable shop rate too) and go find an even nicer one to start with.  I'd say you got lucky.  A t-bone hit on a biker is usually game over man.  Hope you get what you need outta the guy and you stick with another SOHC.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 09:40:46 am »
Good to hear your still with us, like all the others said stick it to em'. Keep us posted and we can come up with parts to help offset the cost to rebuild ;)
Keep all your papers and get ready, your lawyer is a biker that will help too but don't lose your cool about it like Ken said so you can stay focused on winning this case
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 09:45:01 am »

Better days ahead,

Ken

I'd say running a red light is inexcusable. And you'll have to excuse my language, but that bastard was, obviously enough, endangering lives doing so and it probably wasn't the first light he's run. Unless I know I can't stop, I stop for yellow lights even if I could "make it".

I'm with the Fly here.  I went easy on a drunk driver that blasted me.  I've regretted it ever since.  The court cases are over before all the headaches crop up after the fact.  I thought I got enough money out of the guy but it wasn't nearly enough.  Basically, I'm forced to drive a totaled Jeep now because I went easy on him.

Yeah... I'm with Fly, bury that cork soaker.  I imagine he was on his cell phone.   ::)

Glad you're alive though!  That's most important.
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 10:12:43 am »
Glad you are alive man.  That is some scary $h!t.  First get healthy, then get mad.  Take this jerk to the cleaner.  I am really sick and tired of watching cagers get away with the brain dead manuevers they do - and I am in a car most of the time.

You know you have a great support network here, use it when you are ready.

Where are you in NYS?

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 10:38:24 am »
Cafe2be,
When you're ready to start thinking about fixing your bike, post some photos of it and let's see what we can salvage.  We may also be able to help figure out how much money you should ask for in replacement costs.  Benji has really nice seat+tank combos, that could be a start.... 

1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline mikeb4

• Enthusiast
  • Building and riding and building ....
    • Mikeb4's website
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 10:41:14 am »
That really sux ..... That is my worst nightmare, plus the bike is just gorgeous but you must feel lucky to have only minor injuries.  Hope you heal quickly then worry about the bike later.
1978 CB750K CR750 Replica
1995 CB1000F
1978 CB750K CR750 Replica
1994 Sportster Bobber
1977 CB750SS Cafe'
1999 ZRX

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 10:55:46 am »
Damn good to see you still posting!! Heal well.

Witnesses I hope. Cop hopefully wrote it up as the other guys fault?!

One word of advice from someone that got taken out head-on by someone obviously on my side of the road - Ask Tell the insurance claims manager for the at fault driver that you want to know what his/her client's insurance limits are. Remind them that a broken neck will follow you the rest of your life (they know this). At the appropriate point in your conversation be sure to casually and in a low key manner mention that you have been advised to retain the counsel of an attorney but you'd prefer not to do so. Keep it simple and to the point. You are showing intent without threats at this point. If you were to take this to court it would cost them 2 to 3 times what they would pay out if they just voluteered up the limit. You almost got killed and it is proven to be the other guy's fault. You have all that time in the bike which you should be reimbursed for too. At this point wait for a response. Do not accept anything under the limit at this point. Do not give an immediate reply. "Take it under advisement" only. "I'll have to think about it and get back to you". Just don't be in a hurry. You can mention attorney a second time and hope for the best. If you must retain counsel they will probably take 25% to 50% of any settlement.

Good luck and fast healing to you.

Jerry  

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 12:53:03 pm »
Hey guys and girls. Thank you for all of the support and warm comments. I really appreciate the family aspect of this board. Went to see the bike today after my dr. appt. The bike is not as bad as I thought.
Needs:
F2 Gas Tank
New rear sets on both sides
Rear set brackets need to be bent back (damn strong welds!)
Exhaust bracket needs a bend
Needs a points cover
Needs an alt cover
New headlight assembly with mounting arms
Tail piece needs paint
Seat needs re upholstering
Needs new oil (now that its all over the floor)
From a quick look that seems to be it. Need to look at the frame.

I live in Queens NY. This accident happened on 69th street and Queens BLVD.

I dont plan to be discouraged from bikes, just need to fine tune my vision and hearing for other a-holes

Thank you again guys!

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 02:04:23 pm »
Not sure if it will fit, but I got an extra points cover off of a 76 750k for ya when ya need it. ;)
Keep us posted and let the wounds set in a little more, you will feel more setting in, give it a week and take plenty of calcium to help the bones.
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline chrislib

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:21 pm »
Sorry to hear about your accident, sue the teeth outta the jaggoffs head I say.
Chris...closet Idlefiddler
1973 CB750K...CANDY BACCHUS OLIVE

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:48 pm »
Really happy to hear you are OK...............don't get mad at the other guy..........get rich!  +++to previous advice about being patient.  Take your own time to heal properly.  Get the best medical care.  

I helped a friend build a sedan delivery a long time ago.  The only bounce was in the tires and the mopar power came with a six-pack!  We started it up in the late afternoon in LA.  We got T-boned at an intersection within 3 minutes.  No serious injuries.  The little old lady driver had good insurance but they did'nt want to pay for our 'old' truck.  HOT ROD magazine was very useful to establish our value.  You have pictures and reciepts.  Get the $$$ for the bike now.......settle for the personal issues later..........Dennis in Wisconsin
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

fuzzybutt

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 04:55:05 pm »
got my neck broken 2 years ago now. it will never leave you. unfortunately it was nobodys fault but my own as it happened when i got thrown from a horse. 180 oxycodone a month and 100 flexeril. i pray that you recover from yours better than i did from mine. good luck.

Offline scooter1

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 cb750
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 05:15:34 pm »
NOT COOL !!!

Offline Johnny5

• Master
    • CB350F build thread
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 06:31:45 pm »
Crap, that's scary. Heal up, and Im sending prayers your way.
www.kerosenecycles.com
1971 CB350
1973 CB350F
2006 Harley Springer Classic

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 06:39:20 pm »
Man, that sucks.  Glad you're OK, make sure you follow the recovery regime.
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 06:49:55 pm »
Sorry to hear your first ride went so crappy.
Speedy recovery, and get that bike back on the road!
Good luck w/ the legal side of it, hope the no inspection part doesn't come into play.
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

Offline mcuozzo

• Hot Shot
  • Bottle in front of me or frontal labotomy?
    • 77 CB750K - needs total rebuild
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 07:35:53 pm »
Glad you are okay.  Glad to here your going to get back on the bike.

I had an accident years ago on a Harley in AZ.  It was rented.  It happened the second day of a two week trip.  I had bumps and bruises, the bike had cosmetic damage.  Had it repaired at Flagstaff Harley the next day and finished the trip.  If I didn't get right back on the bike, I think I would have had a tough time getting back on if I waited. 

There is good legal advice above.  Take your time to make sure all your medical problems are discovered and get compensated for them.  Your time in the bike, your mental anguish, etc are all worth money above and beyond the cost of the bike.

Not being inspected should play no part if it's done the way it is in NJ.  You get your ins, then your reg and finally inspected within a certain time frame (2 weeks, 30 days?).  As long as you are within that time frame you should be Ok. 

Good luck with everything.  I got a few spare parts lying around, let me know what you need and I'll take a look.

Matt

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 08:10:00 pm »
Sell the Oxy to buy another bike! lol..

Actually I would make sure you do not mention ANYTHING about the bike even possibly being salvageable! Likely they will consider it a writeoff as they ALWAYS under value these (unless you had some sort of appraisal done). Once they write it off buy it back at a fraction of the cost.

Heal up first and there will be time to wrench later!

Dennis

shaft9ii

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 08:11:29 pm »
I just might have a 750F gas tank in excellent condition I'm not using...pm me.

ev0lution7

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 08:14:06 pm »
I hope your ok!!!

i got in a bad WRECK in 01 :( i had my bike for 30min (i bought it and tried to ride it home... then i wrecked) anyways i ended up with a BUMB left foot :( for life... but i'm doing better now its good to make sure that you get propper medical treatment!!!

fuzzybutt

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 08:29:01 pm »
i had my k6 750 for a whole day and a half before I got t-boned. not my first bike but it WAS my first japanese bike and the first time in almost 10 years since i'd ridden.

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 12:21:29 am »
Sell the Oxy to buy another bike! lol..

Actually I would make sure you do not mention ANYTHING about the bike even possibly being salvageable! Likely they will consider it a writeoff as they ALWAYS under value these (unless you had some sort of appraisal done). Once they write it off buy it back at a fraction of the cost.

Heal up first and there will be time to wrench later!

Dennis

I had my bike valued at $2000 with my insurance company. I low sided it in December, scratching my alternator cover and breaking off a turn signal. If your ins. co declares the bike a total loss, a salvage company (usually just one) will bid on the bike. Luckily most of these companies know #$%* all about vintage motorcycles. In my case the salvage company offered only $50 (!!!) for the bike in this state, which I gladly forked over after they handed me a check for $2000.
"An ounce of prevention is worth more if you break it up into nickel bags."

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 12:28:07 am »
Glad you made it. I cant offer much besides saying good luck!
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.