Author Topic: Warning: The Works cleaner eats chrome  (Read 9833 times)

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
Warning: The Works cleaner eats chrome
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:30:05 am »
So, after reading some of the threads about cleaning rust out of your tank with The Works toilet cleaner I decided to give it a try. It did a great job of cleaning out the rust. The tank is now spotless. The only problem is that you have to make sure to remove your fuel cap. Some of the chemical spilled on to mine and ate the chrome right off. Now I have a clean tank, but a gnarly looking fuel cap. I wouldn't want to try it with a tank that has nice paint!
75 CB550
70 CB350 gone to new home

Offline mcuozzo

• Hot Shot
  • Bottle in front of me or frontal labotomy?
    • 77 CB750K - needs total rebuild
Re: Warning: The Works cleaner eats chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:42:41 pm »
Thanks for that info.  Probably saved a bunch of people a big headache!

And now you gave me an easy way to strip the chrome off of some parts that I want to powder coat, awesome!

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:18:17 am »
Glad the post was helpful. I don't know how I would work on my bikes without this forum, it has saved me from so many mistakes :)
75 CB550

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:06:44 pm »
The Works has acid in it if I'm not mistaken.  Acid will eat chrome and aluminum.  I f'd up a triple tree with muriatic acid.  Works great for removing rust from steel, but keep it away from chrome and aluminum.
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:07:42 am »
Did it just discolor the chrome, or the chrome is gone and the copper or nickel or whatever it is now shows? I'm looking to paint some chrome parts and this sounds a ton easier than blasting it off or sanding it.

Thanks,

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline OldSkool

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:31:48 am »
Did it just discolor the chrome, or the chrome is gone and the copper or nickel or whatever it is now shows? I'm looking to paint some chrome parts and this sounds a ton easier than blasting it off or sanding it.

Thanks,

Brandon

From what I understand, it will remove the chrome plating but leave the nickel plating underneath.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:37:13 am »
 ;D  Sweet, that should work, just scuff a bit and paint.  If you were doing this specifically to remove the chrome, how would you mix it and how long would you soak the parts? Just looking for suggestions, as I've never removed chrome with anything.

Thanks,

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:59:57 am »
Not sure how long you would need to leave it on. You would probably want to keep an eye on it.
75 CB550

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:05 pm »

Okay, it's been long enough. Has anyone tried to actually remove chrome using The Works cleaner? If so, how successful? How long was it immersed? Any pics of the part after treatment?

I've got some chrome to strip and I'd rather not have to do the reverse electrolysis process at home unless absolutely necessary.

Any info??? Thanks!  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline OldSkool

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:17:03 pm »
Just going by a bad experience where I ruined a good but at least replaceable part. Got "The Works" on my gas cap and in a manner of about 10 seconds it had disolved the chrome down to a nickel looking layer. At that point I wiped everything off and utilized my baking soda solution which created lots of bubbles but there was clear etching into the chrome showing as I stated what looked to be nickel plating. Hope my bad experience can help you out.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:27:17 pm »
I'm getting ready to start tearing my bike down and painting it. Got several chrome parts that are kinda sad looking, and this sounds like an easy way to remove that chrome so I can paint em. If you can wait a week, I'll take before and after pics and give the report of what I did.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »
When I used it to clean the tank it spilled on about 75% of the fuel cap surface. Where this happened the "works" etched right through the chrome to the metal underneath. Whether that's bare metal or nickel plating I don't know. I definitely looked like crap.
75 CB550

Offline MosquitoJones

• how do i ried biek? and how did I become an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 05:13:49 pm »
I definitely looked like crap.

Yes, but what about the gas cap?  ;D
'82 CB650, 65 CP77 Superhawk in chunks

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 05:45:40 pm »
I definitely looked like crap.

Yes, but what about the gas cap? 

Nice MJ, kick a man while he's down  ;)

I've got some spare chromed pieces I'll try this on when I get to painting, sadly looks like it may take a few days longer before I do  >:( Aww well, all good things in their time.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Chicago550

• 75 CB550
  • Enthusiast
    • Gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 03:31:02 am »
Good one ;D
75 CB550

Offline judder

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 01:21:29 pm »
I've got some old sealer in my tank that I want to get rid of, the paint stripper POR-15 sent worked OK but didn't remove all of it. Do you think The Works will eat old sealer out of a tank? Or should I put some screws and aircraft stripper in the tank and shake it up and try not to get any on me when the pressure builds?

Thanks
Jud
1974 CB750 K4 cafe project bike
1990 Harley Davidson FXSTS

poomwah

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 01:47:48 pm »
I got all excited when I read this.  I , too, have some chrome I want to remove. So I went and checked the bathroom and sure enough, there was a bottle of The Works, I went and put some on some parts, NOTHING.  Waited a while, went back and checked.....NOTHING :[   are there different varieties of The Works cleaner? do I have the wrong kind maybe?

Offline Slippery

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 07:48:52 pm »
I got all excited when I read this.  I , too, have some chrome I want to remove. So I went and checked the bathroom and sure enough, there was a bottle of The Works, I went and put some on some parts, NOTHING.  Waited a while, went back and checked.....NOTHING :[   are there different varieties of The Works cleaner? do I have the wrong kind maybe?

You want the toilet bowl cleaner...it comes in a bottle with a bent neck (for the hard-to-reach area under the rim! :)) and a blue label and cap.