Author Topic: Free 1978 cb 550k  (Read 1222 times)

joetona1

Free 1978 cb 550k
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:38:13 pm »
HI new to this forum but am learning a lot already. Here goes nothing. Recently was given a cb550k motor was lock up odometer reads 28000+ miles. So in goes tranny fluid wait a few days and ....... shaazm freed up motor!!! SO next move see how the compression is and  what do you know I have 145+or- across all 4. Me being just like a little kid I put some gas in the carbs and let it set for a week. Had bigger fish to fry. Any hoo come back drain carbs fresh gas and oil hooked up battery and a little figdetting with wires (no keys) hit the button and first crank bike fires right up but no idle. So my question is where to buy complete carb kits needle, seat, idle jets, gaskets and floats? Will be rebuilding all carbs back to factory specs considering I REALLY HATE THOSE SINGLE FILTERS. Just kidding just like the factory look of these old bikes. Does anybody know why these carbs where only out for two years? Oh and by the way a seat off a cb 500 fits perfectjy on my bike frame. Well until I get the rest of my parts for the guy who gave me this bike I will just keep on cleaning and dreaming of the day I will ride Sophie (name of the bike).

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
Re: Free 1978 cb 550k
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:48:04 pm »
Welcome congrats on the new bike.

Lucky guy to have it fire right up!!

Also.... paragraph form please? My eyes are BLEEDING!!!  ;D

Either way you have come to the right place and again..

WELCOME!!!!!!  ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:57:35 pm »
And we need photos....it's not a want, it's a need OK so just get it done.....and before you do too much work to the bike or you will regret having no before photos.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Treeguy

• The power of wind !!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 03:41:22 pm »
That is a story not often heard in these parts! The compression numbers are very nice . . .  ;D