Author Topic: Finally on the road 1974 Honda CB550 Maine  (Read 9803 times)

Offline OldSkool

Finally on the road 1974 Honda CB550 Maine
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:00:08 pm »
It's been about 2 months since I purchased my 3800 mile garage queen 1974 Honda CB550. When I purchased it for about $900 it looked like this:

It was clear the bike had been stationary for 27 years. It had original Bridgestone Supersport tires, all of the factory yellow markings on every bolt. The carbs had clearly never been removed. The problems I faced when I brought it home:

Oxidation and minor rust on every chrome piece.
Wouldn't start
Surface rust in gas tank
Old dry rotted tires
Master cylinder full of gunk

Compression came in on all four cylinders at 120-125psi so I can only hope that other interior rubber engine parts are in decent shape.

So far I've spent probably about 10-15 hours polishing everything on the bike with Blue Magic chrome polish. I was really impressed with the product. I basically used a terry cloth type towel to rub the polish in and after a minute or so I could see the oxidation begin to go away. After thoroughly rubbing the Blue Magic in and wiping away with a fresh microfiber towel I was amazed with how vibrant and shiny the original chrome came out. You can see the #2 cylinder head pipe looked to be the worst of the bunch but with about 10 minutes of polishing it all came off and left me with a brand new looking head pipe.

I've also had the carbs out three times and while I just cleaned the metal bits I purchased the OEM Honda Gasket kit to replace all the rubber parts. Turned out my problem was with the fact that sediment on the interior roof of my gas tank was flaking off and eventually clogging the float needles. Also, my pilot jets were completely clogged.

I mounted and balanced my own tires, also rebuilt the MC with a Honda rebuild kit. Replaced the original bars with some Bikemaster Superbike Bars (I've kept the originals in the garage). I also upgraded the brake lines to Goodridge braided SS Black vinyl covered brake lines and threw in a set of EBC Kevlar brake pads. Here is the final product along with some photos I've taken:

Although it still needs a full carb sync, it runs pretty decent now but I'm looking forward to getting the ignition timing figured out and a carb sync completed
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:14:56 pm by OldSkool »

Offline Lars

• Hot Shot
Re: Finally on the road 1974 Honda CB550 Maine
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:08:10 am »
Hi and congratulation with your "new" CB 550, it looks good and I am sure you will enjoy the bike. They are very good riding, handles very well - better than the CB 750. Remember to do all the tune up before the carb synch and you will have a nice running engine.
I have just bought one just like yours, on its way in a container to Norway and expect to have it by the end ogf the month. You can see the bike here: http://www.hondahobby.no/website.aspx?objectid=1&displayid=1829
From the pictures, the mufflers seems to be a bit rusty in the joint, so I guess they have to be repaced with new ones.
Lars
...if you got the ability to act...

Offline locostbamboo

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:32:15 am »
Looks great!  Congrats on a nice bike!
Rob
1978 CB550K

Offline Otto

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:25:01 am »
Congrats! Nice bike! Where in Southern Maine are you located. I am in Portland. I have a 76 - 550k, and a couple of other Hondas.

I could give you a hand with the timing and carb sync.

Is that Fort Williams in the pix?

Bob
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:26:35 am by Otto »
Otto

1971 HONDA CB750K1- Valley Green Metallic

2007 Triumph Bonneville - Silver/Black Carburetted

Offline JBMorse

• Hot Shot
    • Travel Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:12:19 am »
Beautiful pics!  The bike looks great and the country looks great too. 
I am in NH and went riding last Saturday.  I was going to stop and take pics of my bike in the countryside for the "Let's see your bike on the road" thread, but I was having too much fun to stop and get off the bike! 
Congrats on the new ride.  Maine's got some great riding country (which I plan to explore more of this summer) so you've got a nice summer ahead for sure!
1971 CB500K

Offline OldSkool

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:49:28 pm »
Hi and congratulation with your "new" CB 550, it looks good and I am sure you will enjoy the bike. They are very good riding, handles very well - better than the CB 750. Remember to do all the tune up before the carb synch and you will have a nice running engine.
I have just bought one just like yours, on its way in a container to Norway and expect to have it by the end ogf the month. You can see the bike here: http://www.hondahobby.no/website.aspx?objectid=1&displayid=1829
From the pictures, the mufflers seems to be a bit rusty in the joint, so I guess they have to be repaced with new ones.
Lars

Lars, looks like you've found a nice one there! I bet it will clean up even nicer than mine with a little work and a good chrome polish!

Offline OldSkool

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »
Congrats! Nice bike! Where in Southern Maine are you located. I am in Portland. I have a 76 - 550k, and a couple of other Hondas.

I could give you a hand with the timing and carb sync.

Is that Fort Williams in the pix?

Bob

Hey Bob,

I live in Gorham so only about 15 minutes away. I would really like to meet some fellow SOHCers in the area since I know there are a few in the Portland area. I've seen Uncrash out on the road with his 750 with the white windjammer but I never see any other CB's out on the road.

This is my first motorcycle, first time working on carberators and a points ignition system so I'm always open for help and pointers. We'll have to make it a point to try and get together over a weekend soon. 

The photos were taken at a small overlook/park in Gorham off of 114 close to where I live.

Thanks

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 01:01:55 pm »
How does a 35 year old bike with that low mileage even exist and for virtually no money.

What a score.

Offline Otto

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 01:06:08 pm »
Oldskool,

I am actually in Westbrook.

Gorham is the next town. I'll pm you my cell... and we'll get together.

bc
Otto

1971 HONDA CB750K1- Valley Green Metallic

2007 Triumph Bonneville - Silver/Black Carburetted

mfhutchins

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 05:45:04 am »
hey guys.  im in waterboro and should have my cb550 cafe on the road in a week or 2.
lets ride!

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 09:21:10 am »
You found this bike, with 3800 miles on it, for only $900??!?!!?!!!?? Auggghhh!! (tears out hair in clumps) Why does this never happen to me???  :'(

Congrats on the acquisition, and thanks for not "cutting up a classic". This is an excellent find; if you maintain it as it is, it will only increase in value over the years ($900 for something like this  is a fluke that will never be repeated). While you now have the "real deal", us restorers are left to try and emulate what you have, and our work, no matter how well done, in the long run will never be as valuable. Good move to keep all of the stock parts in storage so it might be returned to original if desired. And part of the value of a bike like this is that it can act as a reference for the rest of us. I may be asking for some detail pics (excellent job on the pics, BTW).

The bike really looks great! That Boss Maroon may be the color I use for my restoration... now that I've seen a good example of it.  Very subtle and understated. I like it.

Thanks for the post, and once again congratulations on an excellent score!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:44:42 am by SohRon »
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 09:38:24 am »
Great find and very nice bike!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

2twisted

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 07:13:26 pm »
 That original post was in 09, Pretty sure I saw this same 550 on E-bay  Sometime in March.