Author Topic: oil pump screen  (Read 2744 times)

honbonduc

oil pump screen
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:50:47 pm »
Hello all, I just joined this group and can't find anything in the archives, so here's my problem. I recently acquired a 73 cb750 and was replacing the oil pan due to a stripped drain plug hole. I accidentally tore the oil pump screen. Do I have to find a whole oil pump assembly, or can you just get the screen and somehow install it? Thanks for any help.

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
Re: oil pump screen
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 01:36:25 am »
hi , i am pretty sure you can just replace the screen  ;) do you have a manual? mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Henry Dorset Case

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 01:59:14 am »
there is a recommended service interval of 6000 miles or 12 months for changing the oil filter screen specified in my Honda shop manual (CB400F).  Thus I assume its an order-able part like an oil filter or spring seat washer *   I am about to try ordering one from David Silver for my bike so I will let you know if any issues.

*doh.  (see my thread below about my oil change issue if curious.)

Jim Shea

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 02:05:29 am »
Honbonduc,
Welcome to the forum, the guys here know everything, although I am not one of those!
David Silver   http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/     can supply an oil pump screen, they are 10 pounds.
Which part of the world are you from? I am in the UK.
Cheers,
Jim.

honbonduc

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 05:26:37 am »
Thanks much for the info, I will check with a dealer. I have a clymers manual I got off ebay, but it is not too in depth. I need to buy a shop manual before I do any more damage. I live north of St Louis Missouri, and it is supposed to be in the 70's for the next few days, too bad this bike isn't roadworthy yet. Thanks again.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 08:15:09 am »
Don't feed those greedy parts dealers! Go to the kitchen and get a colander, that will make the trick!!!!

Raul

Online dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 11:42:39 am »
raul!,such animosity.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

honbonduc

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 02:29:15 pm »
Maybe a rubber band and old pair of panty hose would be good enough then.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 06:10:31 pm »
"there is a recommended service interval of 6000 miles or 12 months for changing the oil filter screen specified in my Honda shop manual (CB400F)"
The manual says to clean the screen every 12 months / 6000 miles, not replace it. This metal "collander" should never require replacement!
Actually, I have found it (and the rest of the oil wetted engine internals) "like new" and requiring no cleaning when I have the sump off since I've been using synthetic oil.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 07:13:59 pm »
I've been using synthetic oil

Just curious, what kind of synthetic are you using?
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 09:54:42 pm »
I've been using synthetic oil

Just curious, what kind of synthetic are you using?

Oh no...not oil again! Bob, what are you doing?!?! You've just opened Pandora's box again. Shame on you. ;D ;D ;D

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 03:51:57 am »
I asked what kind 'he' used out of curiosity not the killer question of what oil is best. I would never, ever, ever ask that one.  ;D

Jim Shea

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 04:47:18 am »
Not afraid to open Pandora's box: I thougth synthetic oil was an absolute no no?

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 05:22:13 am »
Oh, oh, now you have really done it!  ;D

Jim Shea

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 05:28:48 am »
Bob,
You probably have already realized that I am quite happy to ask the silly question, then I sit back and enjoy the abuse!

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 07:49:49 am »
I REALLY wasn't trolling for another oil thread. Use whatever oil wiggles your wagger. I've used synthetic for many years, brands including Mobil 1, (before the fuel conserving crap) Motul, Esso (Exxon), Spectro, Canadian Tire (made by Esso if you care), and now Amsoil motorcycle specific.
I have had no issues with seals leaking (excepting the 400F head gasket leak, but it leaked with petro oil as well). O have no explanation for it but every bike I've switched to full synthetic has run better; smoother idle in particular. Except when I broke a ring and blew a lot of smoke into an engine, the inside of the motors using synthetic look shiny new when opened rather than the gummy varnished look of petro oil engines.