Author Topic: Sych adapters/connectors for tube to gauge  (Read 2998 times)

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
Sych adapters/connectors for tube to gauge
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:22:22 am »
I don't know if this has been tried before, but I was going to buy some adapters or else try making them by drilling a 5mm bolt.  I found that I had some spare brake line that measures-up to be close to 5mm in diameter.  (I think its the smaller size, nominally called 3/16 inch.)  So I cut some small pieces and threaded up one end with a suitable thread die, cutting the thread to just the depth of the die.  They seem to screw into the manifold holes with just finger tightening, up-to the extent of the thread which will taper off and make a seal.  The other end of the pipe is then just the right size for a plastic hose to slip over.

I tried popping these onto two of my carbs, with a loop of hose with each end attached to these adapters.  I had put a bit of fluid in the bottom of the loop, hoping it would act as a manometer to register the difference in vacuum.  However, even with what I thought was a reasonable length of hose (the end hung down to the ground from the tank height), all the fluid quickly got sucked into the running motor.  Maybe the two carbs I chose to hook to are REALLY out of synch. :o  Fortunately I had chosen to use some old model engine fuel that my son has had lying around for a number of years - it's also a nice pink colour and looked good in the tube - so it didn't seem to have any affect on the motor 8).  After that experiment, I've decided to get some vacuum gauges off ebay (got four of the NOSHOK 1.5" Dial Size 1/8" NPT 30" Hg Vacuum Gauges on-order) and make-up a set for sych'ing that way.

I know how a picture is much better at explaining, so here is a picture of one of the adapters hooked-up to a tube.  The other end is threaded for screwing into the motor at the carb intake.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:24:25 am by HondanutRider »

Offline dpen

• Hot Shot
Re: Sych adapters/connectors for tube to gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:47:15 am »
I just got some 5mm mild steel bolts & drilled a 1mm (or 1.5, I forget now) holes through the middle
  a few lengths of copper pipe silver soldered to the top of the bolts & ... some u-bewt adapters
  had to do the same with 6mm bolts for my Diversion 900 but you blokes won't want to hear about that (I may stir you up & post a sneaky picture of it disguised as a SOHC)

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Sych adapters/connectors for tube to gauge
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:37:16 am »
My adapters have a lip with rubber washer to ensure a good seal at the connection.  Do you have some kind of seal for yours? 
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA