Author Topic: W T F is happening with AMA  (Read 722 times)

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
W T F is happening with AMA
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:43:27 am »
First thing I hear is that they are not going to have the AHRMA run the races this year.  Then I read from a post of Old scrambler that said:  " I too wish that the AHRMA and AMA could settle the dispute.  Its something about a lawyer in NY and the predecessor group to AHRMA.   Mark Medierski is the guy in charge of the AMA museum that runs this show. I am sure he will put on a good set of races. "  Now I just received an email that reads as follows: 
Hello Ray,

Annual AMA Museum Events Cancelled

We have been informed that the annual All Japanese Day at the AMA Hall of Fame Museum is cancelled for this year. They also cancelled their All British event.

There are several changes at the Museum. Mark Mederski who many of you know is no longer the Museum Director. I have been informed by Don Argento who is the publicist for the Museum that the Museum is concentrating on some other alternative areas of marketing.

There will be a Columbus “Family Day” on Saturday September 12 where admission to the Museum will be free. They are encouraging club participation, so depending on your individual interest in supporting the VJMC at this event, we may choose to participate in this new event. If you would be interested in helping us display at this event, please let me know. More information regarding our possible participation at this event will be forthcoming.

On a more positive note, our first Annual ASK VJMC classic show last Saturday in Grove City was a huge success. We had 37 Beautiful display bikes on a day that was predicted to be total thundershowers all day. The public participation was strong, and I am certain that we would have had probably at least 50 bikes displayed if the predicted weather forecast had been for sun.

Thanks to all members who attended and helped with the event. Sandi Ackers of ASK has indicated her interest in sponsoring the event next year as well. We would like to expand the show and make it even better. Possibly we might open it up to a limited number of VJMC vendors for a SWAP meet

We are open to ideas. Please forward them to david@classicjapanesemotorcycles.com

Thanks Again,

David Hellard
Central Ohio VJMC Field Representative

WHAT THE F#CK IS GOING ON......Is the AMA in a meltdown phase? I think that all the bike alphabet groups and AMA members need to put some pressure to change what is happening and where the organization is going (? maybe down the drain?) I don't have all the details and not privy to all the insider info, but as a member, I am highly disappointed in what is happening right now.

ray

1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: W T F is happening with AMA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:57:47 pm »
Sounds like a mess alright, a clash of egos I read somewhere. Everyone else suffers.

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:25:34 pm »
The ASK show sucked (more bikes in the dealership)!  There was a threat of bad weather all day and everyone stayed away.  Only like three or four worthy bikes at the show.  Did get to see the Honda Fury chopper in person.  Still do not know what I think about that one.....

Is it me or does it seem like the VJMC is an elitist group?  The feeling I get from some of the gatherings I have been too is if the bike is not original it does not count....
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline DammitDan

• Jedi
  • Master
  • Slowly returning to the Honda flock...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:39:53 pm »
Is it me or does it seem like the VJMC is an elitist group?  The feeling I get from some of the gatherings I have been too is if the bike is not original it does not count....

At Barbers this last year my friend asked if he could join VJMC and how to go about doing so.  They asked what he rode and he pointed at the '81 CB750 Custom parked across the street.  It's in nice shape but it's actually been ridden the last 30 years and looks the part.  It also has an aftermarket 4-1 exhaust.  They said, "Oh, that?  Well you can join the club but you won't be allowed to enter the bike in any displays."  When he asked why they told him he didn't have the OEM exhaust and it had some "cosmetic issues".

He wasn't happy to say the least, nor was I.  Why would anyone want to support a group who so obviously disdains the vast majority of its potential members?  I ride a very nice looking '81 XS650 cafe, but apparently it doesn't "count" as a vintage bike according to the VJMC.  Pshaa.

We spent the next 20 minutes walking through the VJMC paddock noting all the non-stock parts on various bikes that looked like they hardly ever got ridden.

Elitist?  I would say yes.
Signatures are for wimps!

fuzzybutt

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:44:07 pm »
wow, i didnt get that feeling at all, that these folks were like an elitist club, i was made to feel very welcome in fact. vjmc that is.

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:09:06 pm »
I was welcomed with open arms from both AMA, VJMC, VJMOG, SOHC4, and SOOC. My problem is with AMA. Not anything that they have done directly to me, but what is happening to the leadership and direction the organization is heading. I know you can not please everyone, but I am hearing more and more derogatory remarks about them in the last two months. If you had a problem with a local chapter of VJMC (which I believe was the case) you should report it to the national web site. I would bet it was an isolated incident of a stupid or ignorant person who probably doesn't even know the purpose of the organization. As long as the bike was made before 1989 and was a Japanese made bike, it is eligible. Anyone who would tell you that it needs to be stock/nos type bike is full of sh!t. Walk away from them and find a real member to talk to. Now Back to my comment on the AMA. What kind of race are they gong to put on at VMD? Why would they cancel the Vintage Jap and Brit days gathering? The ASK/VJMC gathering was a bust. I hope that the Rhinebeck Grand National Super Meet goes off without any problem. It's funny that the VJMC site still has the gathering listed for June 6th. and haven't removed it yet off the calendar.
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228