Author Topic: Cant ride my motorcycle with the choke off  (Read 3810 times)

jesus freek

Cant ride my motorcycle with the choke off
« on: May 31, 2009, 04:15:32 pm »
Bought a 75cb550 today and it was fine at the PO's home. I had a hard time starting it when I got it home. I had the bike choked for a few minutes and it died. I tried it again, this time I left it running with the choke on and ran down to the corner gas station to properly inflate my tires. At the gas station I tried again letting off the choke and it was starting to die. When I got home  I through it on the trickle as it was reading a very low battery. My exhaust set up is a 4 into 1 with a Super Trapp exhaust. There seems to be a baffle in side but no closed end cap. I had asked the PO if there was anything I should do in regards to adjustments when I got it home and he said every thing was good, all it needed was a rider. Have I done any damage to it? Also he left off the drain tubes from the carbs. I noticed after I had idled it and then turned the motor off 2 and 4 had fuel coming from them, I promptly turned the petcock off.

Offline JS550

• the artist formerly known as
  • Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
Re: Cant ride my motorcycle with the choke off
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 04:35:11 pm »
Sounds like dirty jets.
If you're worried about how many calories are in beer, is losing weight really your biggest problem?

jesus freek

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 04:39:24 pm »
dirty jets with the idle problem or with the fuel leaking ?

Offline JS550

• Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:34:33 pm »
2nd that.
If you're worried about how many calories are in beer, is losing weight really your biggest problem?

jesus freek

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »
Will or can I do damage to the motor if i run it with the choke on constantly. I am for sure not a carb guy and I am waiting on the Clymer for the small repairs. Any suggestions on guys that do the carbs here in S.E. Mich. ?

Offline JS550

• Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 05:43:21 pm »
It will run rich with the choke on. That will foul plugs & run like shizit. You can try to pull the carbs & just do the jets, they come out easy. Run some wire through them & blow them out.

Offline JS550

• Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 05:48:28 pm »
And its not as hard as it seems. I had to do it on my 750 & my brothers 550. You might have got some junk clogging the jets, it doesnt take much, try cleaning those first if you dont want to do a full on carb teardown. My 750 has been fine since I did it.

Offline JS550

• Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 05:49:07 pm »
Where you @ in MI? Im just south of Detroit.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 05:54:30 pm »
Downloadable manual here:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

cheers
mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

jesus freek

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 05:55:08 pm »
Warren

Offline Beans

• I play with grease every day.
  • Hot Shot
  • 1975 cb550f
    • bean's place.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 06:12:02 pm »
hey cleaning the carb and jets is not that hard. just take the jets out and blow on them to clean them out and then just get some carb cleaner to spray in the jet holes. I did that when I had carb problems on my dirtbike and my other bike and it was fine their after.
Keep it shinny side up.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 06:14:19 pm »
Been some new users posting here that have the choke lever operation backwards.  FYI, Choke on is lever up, Down is choke off.

If the carbs are over flowing there is a problem with the carb floats/float valve. not shutting off when it should.

Take a close look at fuel contamination.  Any rust or debris in the float valve and it won't shout off, causing overflow.  Rust/debris can also plug up slow/Idle/pilot jets. Choke on force extra fuel from the throttle valve to augment the lack of fuel from the idle jets.

You already know that you shouldn't have to run with choke on all the time.  It won't do the engine any good as too rich a mixture will wash the oil off the cylinder walls leading to early ring/piston/cylinder failure.

Don't forget to take care of tank rust issues before clearing the carbs.  Or, do the carb cleaning twice (or more).

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

jesus freek

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 07:30:50 pm »
I did notice something different. The PO hooked up a clear  Y attachment to the petcock, on one of the Y lines it looks bent or pinched at an angle. Maybe that is my problem? Tank and fuel look good. I will post a pic in the morning. I have been away for a while and have forgotten alot. Please bear with me.

jesus freek

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 04:56:09 am »
Been some new users posting here that have the choke lever operation backwards.  FYI, Choke on is lever up, Down is choke off.

If the carbs are over flowing there is a problem with the carb floats/float valve. not shutting off when it should.

Take a close look at fuel contamination.  Any rust or debris in the float valve and it won't shout off, causing overflow.  Rust/debris can also plug up slow/Idle/pilot jets. Choke on force extra fuel from the throttle valve to augment the lack of fuel from the idle jets.

You already know that you shouldn't have to run with choke on all the time.  It won't do the engine any good as too rich a mixture will wash the oil off the cylinder walls leading to early ring/piston/cylinder failure.

Don't forget to take care of tank rust issues before clearing the carbs.  Or, do the carb cleaning twice (or more).

I am one of the many that are backwards then. ??? My choke was in the down positionon my75cb 550 when the bike was running great and when I moved it to the up position ,that is when it turned to crap. So if that is the case all is well,except the fuel leaking when I shut it off. I remember haveing the 75cb750F and the choke lifted up and down,my dirt bike moves front to back.

Offline JS550

• Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:24 am »
Well, that was easy!

jesus freek

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 06:14:10 am »
My faith has been restored!!!!  ;D The guy I bought this bike from is one good dude!  I felt good dealing with this guy and he appeared very honest and good natured. I didnt feel as though he ws going to pull the wool over my eyes. I had asked lots of ????????s before making the decision to purchase and drive 3 hrs to pick it up.He through in 2 F tanks and some other parts . He does visit the site from time to time.One with tiny holes in it and the other media blasted and very clean.