Author Topic: %$#^$% cam chain bolt! (with weird update)  (Read 5100 times)

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
Re: %$#^$% cam chain bolt! (with weird update)
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 11:32:50 pm »
Good to know. thx. Are you going to try it with the cylinder head still on the bike?

Yes, I checked the bolt that came out of my machine on a standard M6 nut. Fits perfectly. If you Google or Wikipedia ISO metric threads, the M6 has a regular 1 mm pitch. Good luck to us both!
"An ounce of prevention is worth more if you break it up into nickel bags."

Offline London Dock

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 10:44:31 am »
Yes I do believe I will. I have no access to a workshop to do this, so it's going to be a tape-up-the-head-in-the-bike job. Really though, all you have to be sure of is to go slow, don't rush it. I would try to get the bike at least level before drilling so that your hole and helicoil go in straight. Cover needs to come off (you've already done it), take the cam out and tie up the cam chain as per the Clymer manual, seal off all oiled areas from metal shaving, and do the helicoil.

For re-install, clean up all debris, check you have cleaned it all. Make sure you use some assembly oil on the cam bearing surfaces so that on start up she's good to go. Put the cam and chain back, in with all timing marks matching (TRIPLE CHECK your timing!!). Slacken all the tappet adjusters on the rocker arms and pull them up using looped rubber bands (search this site for some pictures...such as "rubber band cam cover," etc). Check timing again! Install the cam cover as per the manual; do the cam chain tensioning and valve clearances whenever it says...check you've cleared all steps before starting the engine. Then check for oil leaks when running.

So...I haven't done this myself, but I've been getting psyched up to do it for the weekend and going over the steps in my mind 8). I'm pretty confident that as long as you don't get metal debris everywhere, and get your timing right, it should go ok!

Sound right Martino?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 10:51:57 am »
Using some grease on the drill bit is good idea someone mentioned.

I would also have my lab partner stand there with a shop vac with a snorkel type attachment. Anything the grease can't hold may be sucked away. Like a doctor clearing blood during a surgery.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:53:36 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »
Just finished a few minutes ago. Instead of grease, I blocked off the oil galley and cam with blue tack, and sealed off the rest of the head with duct tape and plastic. The blue tack worked perfectly, catching all of the metal shavings that got back around the hole after blowing it out.

I got kind of ripped off for a crappy helicoil kit ($35) which made the job much harder. I also didn't realize that the tap was tapered at the end, so cutting the threads at the very bottom for the first helicoil was nearly impossible. The second helicoil went in without incedent, but now there is a slight gap between the two. The bolt threads in OK, but gets pretty damn tight at the end. 

When I went to reinstall the head cover, I realized that my PO neglected to include 5 of the sealing washers and two bolts. Oh well, I need other small bits from bikebandit anyway.

Costs are starting to pile up now...up to about $300, without any gaskets. (I needed some tools) starting to slowly creep past the value of the bike now. Need to stop the bleeding.

Using some grease on the drill bit is good idea someone mentioned.

I would also have my lab partner stand there with a shop vac with a snorkel type attachment. Anything the grease can't hold may be sucked away. Like a doctor clearing blood during a surgery.

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 01:26:09 pm »

Sound right Martino?

sounds like you already done it before.... :D :D :D :D
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »
Yeah man, I do these all the time. Easy peasy. :)

I was going to use modeling clay, but I couldn't find any...dug through my desk for a few minutes...viola. Instant metal shavings blocker.

A hot nurse wielding a suction tool and wiping my brow would have been much nicer though...

Sound right Martino?

sounds like you already done it before.... :D :D :D :D

Offline London Dock

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 02:45:44 pm »
Costs are starting to pile up now...up to about $300, without any gaskets. (I needed some tools) starting to slowly creep past the value of the bike now. Need to stop the bleeding.

Well, just think how much this would cost a reputable bike shop to do...probably more than that, and you would have no real guarantee it's done correctly without ripping it all apart again! Plus you'll now have the tools and experience to do simlar work (probably less complicated than this) in the future.

What's blue tack? The modelling clay?

Offline jeepster

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 02:58:36 pm »
Damn straight. Blue tack is sticky blue gunk you use to hang posters. Been sitting unused in my desk drawer for YEARS. Knew it would come in handy someday.

Well, just think how much this would cost a reputable bike shop to do...probably more than that, and you would have no real guarantee it's done correctly without ripping it all apart again! Plus you'll now have the tools and experience to do simlar work (probably less complicated than this) in the future.

What's blue tack? The modelling clay?