Author Topic: 75 400F clutch cable replacement  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
75 400F clutch cable replacement
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:14:27 pm »
I ordered a new clutch cable and was trying to install it today.  The new one does not have an adjuster on the crankcase end.  The old cable has an adjuster on it but it will not slide off over the cable end.  There have been quite a few oddball parts used by the previous owner so I wouldn't be surprised if the cable and adjuster were from something else.

I haven't been able to find anything in the manual about replacing the cable.  Should it be possible to slide the correct adjuster over the cable end for this bike?

Offline ttr400

• Hot Shot
    • ttr400 Projects and Billet parts.
Re: 75 400F clutch cable replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:31:10 pm »
Yes the adjusters should come off the cable as it's a separate part. The adjuster bolt/nut is not part of the cable.

Kevin
CB400F- 492 Yoshi Racer.
Cb400F- 466 Yoshi Cafe.
CR750 D Mann Replica.
VFR750R- RC30 - 1988.
www.ttr400.com

Offline many408

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:09:57 am »
I ordered a new clutch cable and was trying to install it today.  The new one does not have an adjuster on the crankcase end.  The old cable has an adjuster on it but it will not slide off over the cable end.  There have been quite a few oddball parts used by the previous owner so I wouldn't be surprised if the cable and adjuster were from something else.

I haven't been able to find anything in the manual about replacing the cable.  Should it be possible to slide the correct adjuster over the cable end for this bike?

Check if the new cable end will go through the old adjuster centre hole - if so, cut the old cable and use it.

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:52:01 pm »
The ends of both cables are about the same size.  The hole in the adjuster on my old cable is barely bigger than the cable diameter so I'm sure it won't fit over the new cable.  It's probably the wrong part and I'll just have to find the correct one.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:39:50 pm »
I used the adjuster off the bar end....SO I have two...one at the bar and one on the crank cover.
Stranger in a strange land