Author Topic: rear wheel hop  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
rear wheel hop
« on: May 29, 2009, 08:27:55 am »
 Ive got everything reinstalled in the rear and have a question about the torque on the axle nut. I believe that the nut its tightened so that it pinches to the frame and the wheel rotates around the  axle. If I go too tight than the cush drive plate on the sprocket side gets too compressed and throws off the alignment of the chain.  I have found a happy medium except when I spin the rear wheel (the bike is off the ground) and hit the brake the force causes the rear wheel to jump a bit, enough to move the axle forward a few notches than it rebounds. This cant be right can it? I know it only happens when I push the pedal hard but what do you all suggest?
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: rear wheel hop
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 08:39:56 am »
Ive got everything reinstalled in the rear and have a question about the torque on the axle nut. I believe that the nut its tightened so that it pinches to the frame and the wheel rotates around the  axle. If I go too tight than the cush drive plate on the sprocket side gets too compressed and throws off the alignment of the chain.  I have found a happy medium except when I spin the rear wheel (the bike is off the ground) and hit the brake the force causes the rear wheel to jump a bit, enough to move the axle forward a few notches than it rebounds. This cant be right can it? I know it only happens when I push the pedal hard but what do you all suggest?

You are likely missing a spacer. There should not be an issue with tightening the axle nut too tight and throwing anything off. You should be able to stand on a 3 foot wrench tightening the axle nut and the rear wheel and brake will still work perfectly.

There is a short shouldered spacer inside the drive plate between the drive plate bearing and the bearing in the hub. I suspect this is missing.

This is a safety issue. Get a microfiche or exploded diagram and see what's missing.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:45:54 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Online Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 08:45:54 am »
Here ya go:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:47:37 am by Alan F. »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:46:45 am »
Here ya go:

Thanks, I'm speaking of #11.

I know this because...?  ;)
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:53:52 am »
muchas gracias! does number 8 slide into #3 or can I jusr use washers there too?
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:20 am »
muchas gracias! does number 8 slide into #3 or can I jusr use washers there too?

YIKES! Number 8 slides into #3, do not use anything else besides the original parts. #8 bottoms out on the inner race of bearing #33. You have to maitain the integrity of these pieces touching each other to be sure the wheel turns freely and the sprocket carrier and the brake plate ride properly.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:01:13 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:06:14 am »
ok great. One last question, between the 2 main bearings (#32) there is #15, mine doesn't have the 3 prongs on it, but should it fit tightly between the bearings or ride loosely?
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:21:54 am »
ok great. One last question, between the 2 main bearings (#32) there is #15, mine doesn't have the 3 prongs on it, but should it fit tightly between the bearings or ride loosely?
It floats loosely, a little. We're talking thousandths of an inch, not 1/8ths of an inch. Just enough that you can get the axle thru. The 3 prongs are to help hold it in position so that the axle will slide through it. I'm not sure if the 3 prongs are necessary to build the stack mentioned next.

EDIT: I checked and the 3 pronged flange is not part of the "pipe". It merely holds the spacer loosely in place so the axle can go through it. Without it, that spacer could conceivably be knocked far enough askew that the axle would hit it and stop when you are inserting it. No problem, just line it up and go again. End EDIT

If you can picture this concept, the "stack" of the spacers and the inner races of the bearings, create a solid continuous "pipe" from swingarm to swingarm. No matter how tight you make the axle nut you cannot compress this pipe. The plates and hub ride arouind the pipe.

When you tighten the nut, the bearings in the hub, one of which is a floater, compress on #15 and it becomes part of the solid pipe. The pipe, like the axle, does not turn.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:43:47 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:02 am »
One final hint: when you go to tighten the axle, actuate the rear brake and hold it actuated while you firm up the axle nut. This will center the brake plate in the drum and your brake may perform better.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline JS550

• the artist formerly known as
  • Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:13 am »
Ive got everything reinstalled in the rear and have a question about the torque on the axle nut. I believe that the nut its tightened so that it pinches to the frame and the wheel rotates around the  axle. If I go too tight than the cush drive plate on the sprocket side gets too compressed and throws off the alignment of the chain.  I have found a happy medium except when I spin the rear wheel (the bike is off the ground) and hit the brake the force causes the rear wheel to jump a bit, enough to move the axle forward a few notches than it rebounds. This cant be right can it? I know it only happens when I push the pedal hard but what do you all suggest?

You are likely missing a spacer. There should not be an issue with tightening the axle nut too tight and throwing anything off. You should be able to stand on a 3 foot wrench tightening the axle nut and the rear wheel and brake will still work perfectly.

There is a short shouldered spacer inside the drive plate between the drive plate bearing and the bearing in the hub. I suspect this is missing.

This is a safety issue. Get a microfiche or exploded diagram and see what's missing.
#$%*! I only used my 2 foot wrench on mine! ;D
If you're worried about how many calories are in beer, is losing weight really your biggest problem?

Online Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 10:37:34 am »
One final hint: when you go to tighten the axle, actuate the rear brake and hold it actuated while you firm up the axle nut. This will center the brake plate in the drum and your brake may perform better.

That's a great tip to use on any bike with a rear drum, thanks again MC.
-A

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 10:49:25 am »
YW.  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron