Author Topic: The $50 Rustoleum Special paint job - a scientific endeavour  (Read 82637 times)

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
Re: The $50 Rustoleum Special paint job - a scientific endeavour
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2009, 02:46:41 pm »
well what do you already have access to?  Paint gun? Compressor? 

Duplicolor's paint shop system gives great results for a cheap price.  The big expense will be the tools you have to have to shoot the paint on.

Other then that I have seen great rattlecan jobs also.  Takes way way more effort to make a cheap paint job look good.
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2009, 04:42:46 pm »
i am in the process of doing a rustoleum spray job. I did one before and it turned out pretty decent. I will post pics to what i have so far in a min.

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2009, 05:05:18 pm »
the first 3 pics are of the tank i am working on now. I have 2 primer coats on this one, wetsanded the first one down with 400 and the second with 800. This is the first coat of paint i put on. The spots that are thick with paint are some little dimples i had after primer that i didnt want to go back and put in more filler in. To get this first coat i did one light coat and come back after it dried and did a medium to heavy coat. I will wet sand this one down with 800 prolly, maybe 400 if it isnt taking it down enough. The two emblems i did with gold hobby paint first then white, black, and clear rustoleum lacquer paint. and the last 2 pics are of the tank i have now that i did with rustoleum spray paint as well. Also, the spray paint i am using is the professional line. I used this link to help me with the first tank http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36659.0 I would definitely recommend waiting 48 hours between coats.

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2009, 05:24:18 pm »
2 things can kill any paint job

#1 bad prep
 - including body work and not cleaning/degreasing the surface

#2 facilities
 - need a place to shoot the paint and have it dry without dust, bugs, moisture and direct sunlight.

Nice work on the tins andy it goes to show you don't need to be rich to have a nice tank.
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2009, 05:57:06 pm »
i hope the green one turns out as good as the almond one did but i moved and i did the first one in a garage that was attached to my house and now i am doing the green one in outside shed. I have mad a small paint box that i can close off to let each coat dry keeping a lot of dust out but there is always moisture in the air. I plan on wet sanding that coat down tomorrow and will post updated pics.

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2009, 12:27:13 am »
Oh sure, rub it in you guys, why don'tcha.  :P

After reading up on the fisheyes I've been getting, I'm starting to build up more confidence in my paint job. I plan on sanding off the problem areas outlined above, then touching up with my spray can and applying at least 3 coats of clear when that all dries. I'm a bit wary spray painting in my basement, but where would be a good place to paint without getting crap in the air?

One of my sidecovers is also heavily wrinkled, which is annoying because I'll have to completely redo it. It's starting to look unlikely that I'll get this bike riding before I leave for school, due to a possible coil problem, so I'm not as worried.
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2009, 12:39:44 am »
spray outside. get some pvc 1 inch pipes like i did and go to walmart and get some painters plastic, i got a roll of 10 pieces of 10x10 for like 6 dollars and then get some wooden clothes line clips. Get some 90 degree pvc connectors and build yourself a box figure that you can wrap the plastic around and use the clips to hold it together. works pretty well i think.

Also i would stay away from clear unless it is spray max. From what i have researched on here none of the other clears will hold up to gas.

The key to these spray paint jobs are even if you have dimples in your paint like you do as long as you have enough paint around the tank you can sand down to get those dimples even and then buff the paint and you will be good to go

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2009, 09:59:01 am »
spray outside. get some pvc 1 inch pipes like i did and go to walmart and get some painters plastic, i got a roll of 10 pieces of 10x10 for like 6 dollars and then get some wooden clothes line clips. Get some 90 degree pvc connectors and build yourself a box figure that you can wrap the plastic around and use the clips to hold it together. works pretty well i think.
Yea this is even a good idea in the garage if you have the room. I would also get a exhaust fan for a bathroom, a cheap one is like $20+ and have it exhaust the over spray out of the booth you created, its not perfect but worth the $20.. Just a thought.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2009, 02:38:58 pm »
Furnace filter + box fan + bungee cords = cheap filtered air intake vent for paint booth.
Project Rina

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2009, 09:33:50 pm »
Furnace filter + box fan + bungee cords = cheap filtered air intake vent for paint booth.
You know I never thought of that. Its a much better setup then what I had. I will keep this in mind this winter when I repaint my baby!
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2009, 12:58:25 pm »
I leave for school this weekend and won't be able to work on the bike until Thanksgiving break, so I'm going to leave it as is for the paint to harden. The tank has been sanded down, most of the fisheye dimples have been removed, but half the last coat has also been torn up. I've sanded it slightly smooth at 1000.

The sidecovers got a heavy coat and are now in a box. Oh, sure, they look good now, but there's some scratches that still show and a bit of wrinkling on the left one which I plan to sand down in November. Hopefully it won't be too cold by then (it doesn't usually start snowing in MA until mid-December).

1976 Honda CB550F

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
Well good luck in school. My son leaves for school next week, collage has him pretty busy so I understand. We will be looking for some reports around Thanksgiving!

TTYS,
Scott..
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline bzr

• Hot Shot
  • I'm not here.
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2009, 04:33:59 pm »
Actually, cancel that* - my friend Mike offered to finish painting it for me while I'm at school. He painted the tail of his ZX9R with a spray bomb and some clear, so he knows what he's doing. Besides, he has two months to screw it up.

*No, I haven't been kicked out of school...yet. If I do, it'll be something manly like riding a police motorcycle through a lecture hall or something, instead of cheating or dealing weed or whatever people get kicked out of school for.
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2009, 05:48:46 pm »
wel i tried it and heres the link to my bike in the project shop area

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=56525.0

turned out pretty good i think
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2009, 06:03:20 pm »
ok after a few more coats and more wetsanding. Then used rubbing compound and new finish. I think i am done. I have some spots but I am ok with it the way it is right now,  I do wish it would have turned out just a little more shiny

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2009, 08:23:52 pm »
Looks pretty shinny to me! Nice work. Can't wait to see it on the bike.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:28 pm »
i am going to put it on within the next few days, i am trying to figure out what i want to do with my side covers. right now they are almond. I am thinking about doing an almond and green combo so i can change the tanks in and out when i want. any recommendations with pictures maybe?

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2009, 11:46:19 pm »
im thinking something like this for the side covers but with green instead of red

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2009, 04:23:49 am »
Green and white like that one? Could look good. You can always re-due them if it does not work to your liking.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2009, 07:49:30 am »
Kit Scratch-Out does an amazing job for rubbing out final sanding scratches. $1.89 a bottle at Wal-Mart.
Fonda Honda

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2009, 09:57:18 am »
i think it more the paint than the scratches

Offline MacM2010

• Nobody Special
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2009, 11:07:41 am »
Hey Andy:

Whose bike is the red and white one?  It's gorgeous.  I've had a similar idea in mind for my 76F only with black, not red or green.  That's the prettiest one I've seen in a long time, though.  Any details?
One day, I will put up a signature.

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2009, 01:13:43 pm »
no i got the picture off the inspiration thread

Offline MacM2010

• Nobody Special
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2009, 02:58:57 pm »
Ah, thanks.  I'll try and track it down there.
One day, I will put up a signature.

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »
its on like the 5th page of the thread