Author Topic: Wear on 150 rear tire: Pictures included  (Read 2056 times)

Offline drdreas

• Enthusiast
  • 77' CB750k
Wear on 150 rear tire: Pictures included
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:18:58 am »
For the past couple months I took on the project of lacing a 4.5" harley rim to my cb750 k7 rear hub, and moving the stock rear rim (2.5 X 17) to the front. I mounted Avon Roadriders, 150/70-17 to the rear, and 120/80-17 to the front.

Everything cleared ok except for the rear brake stay, but I moved it out 1/4" and it clears the tire. I've checked everything for clearance and nothing that I can see touches. Took the bike for a ride and when I got back noticed a band of wear along the outside edge of the rear tire:

I can't see anything at all that is touching; swingarm, brake stay, brake arm. I thought maybe when I sit on the bike the loading of the suspension caused something to rub, but nothing I could see. Any ideas? Is it possible this isn't from contact with the a part on the bike?

Thanks for the help

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
Re: Wear on 150 rear tire: Pictures included
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:27:07 am »
got a fat girl friend..??? put her on the back of your seat and see how close the tire is coming to the fender etc....
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:06:44 am »
Its only on the right side?
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:21:48 am »
Centerstand?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:43:35 am »
Centerstand?

Aah the centerstand! sneaky. I wonder...
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline babyfood1217

• The only way to drink espresso is as a
  • Hot Shot
  • I miss my baby...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:05:01 pm »
Centerstand?

If it is, the best solution would be to rip it off, and then...uhm... that's all.  Just rip it off. :)
I need help moving my project bike from Wisconsin to Seattle, WA.  Willing to pay well.  Contact if interested.

SOHC member: #438

Project: 1976 CB750K
GSXR forks, Monoshock Rear end, 836 in progress, RC51 pipes, custom frame and everything else.

Offline Mdub

• Xspurt
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 12:13:31 pm »
Just out of curiosity, how close is the chain? I run a 130 and it's close.
X= an unknown quantity
Spurt= a drip under pressure!

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 01:07:52 pm »
OK, I've found it, this is who and where I remembered reading about a 150 rear tire and the centerstand trying to occupy the same space at the same time... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36459.195 page 14   The only difference is that you're running a 150/70-17 and he's running a 150/90-16 I calculate the difference in tire radius is 17mm smaller on your tire, so it's plausible if you run a centerstand.

That looks great Ron, well done mate! I can't remember if you've already done this but be aware, to run a fat rear tire you also need to modify your centre stand.

I run a 16 inch, 150/90 rear tire on my K1, and when I installed it I had the bike up on the centre stand and just "tweaked" the brake rod out of the way, no problem.

I came back from that first ride, and noticed that one side of my tire was badly "gouged". WTF? I put it back up on the centre stand, spun the wheel, and nothing touched. WTFF?? Then I realised, the "foot" on the left side of the stand was contacting the tire. Damn. I took the stand off and ground about half an inch of metal out of that thing, and it no longer touches.

As I said, you probably already know this, but I thought I'd remind you so you don't have to suffer the ignominy of gouging a new tire, like I did. Cheers, Terry. ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:14:08 pm by Alan F. »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 01:43:53 pm »
OK, I've found it, this is who and where I remembered reading about a 150 rear tire and the centerstand trying to occupy the same space at the same time... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36459.195 page 14   The only difference is that you're running a 150/70-17 and he's running a 150/90-16 I calculate the difference in tire radius is 17mm smaller on your tire, so it's plausible if you run a centerstand.

That looks great Ron, well done mate! I can't remember if you've already done this but be aware, to run a fat rear tire you also need to modify your centre stand.

I run a 16 inch, 150/90 rear tire on my K1, and when I installed it I had the bike up on the centre stand and just "tweaked" the brake rod out of the way, no problem.

I came back from that first ride, and noticed that one side of my tire was badly "gouged". WTF? I put it back up on the centre stand, spun the wheel, and nothing touched. WTFF?? Then I realised, the "foot" on the left side of the stand was contacting the tire. Damn. I took the stand off and ground about half an inch of metal out of that thing, and it no longer touches.

As I said, you probably already know this, but I thought I'd remind you so you don't have to suffer the ignominy of gouging a new tire, like I did. Cheers, Terry. ;D
Hey that's my build thread and I didn't even remember that interchange. I guess I will be looking at centerstand clearance. I'm running (will be) a 140/70/17 but on a 3.5 rim which will open it up some. Is it the width or the radius of the wheel making the contact?
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 02:10:08 pm »
Hey MC, check the pic in his first post, looks like tread contack like Terry mentioned, bu much less intense due to the 17mm difference.
-A

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 03:27:58 pm »
Hey MC, check the pic in his first post, looks like tread contack like Terry mentioned, bu much less intense due to the 17mm difference.
-A

Yup.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:50:30 pm »
Centerstand?

If it is, the best solution would be to rip it off, and then...uhm... that's all.  Just rip it off. :)

I like your style!

l8r

Have you checked framerail to tire clearance?

Try putting some clay, or something sticky(but removable) to your frame(or other suspected rub points) and go for a short hop, try to get in as many bumps as possible to get the rub point to show.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline drdreas

• Enthusiast
  • 77' CB750k
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 05:50:15 am »
Guys thanks for the responses. The wear is only on that side, and there is no visible interference with the frame of the bike nor the centerstand. The overall diameter of the tire is less that that of the original that was on there 130/90-17, so its actually further back in the swingarm than it originally was, and I used a stock chain replacement 88 link 630 non o-ring.

I guess I need to find a way to load the suspension and check the centerstand clearance when its rolling.

The idea did cross my mind that the wear mark could have been there before I put the tire on the bike, and I just never noticed it before. This doesnt really seem plausible though, as I feel this is pretty distinct.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 05:55:33 am »
Draw a heavy line of chalk around the tire at the same spot as the wear mark ,then go ride around the block a couple of times and look to see if anything has chalk on it that didn't before.   

Offline ChrisR

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 07:53:25 am »
I've just fitted an oversize rear tyre (freebie) to my 550K and it is fine everywhere except it comes very close to the centrestand spring which is on the right side where I think your wear is? Might be worth a look if you haven't already.
Chris
ChrisR
1977 CB550F
1975 CB550K