Author Topic: if pulser coil is bad  (Read 1161 times)

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert I ain't no stinken
  • Expert
  • stupid gloripope
if pulser coil is bad
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:06:45 am »
if the pulser coil is bad when warmed up could it cause a miss with heavy throttle.
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
Re: if pulser coil is bad
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:14:15 am »
271.00 from honda dealer ouch
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

gilesclement

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:18:25 am »
If it's bad the resistance will be off. you can check them with an ohm meter. no idea what bike you have but on my 81 it's meant to be 530ohms between the two yellows and the two blue wires. I'd guess that most bikes are similar but your manual would tell you that. Mine checked out ok when the bike was cold but as soon as it warmed up the PG for the two inside cylinders was failing resulting in no spark. Also check your plug wires and caps. Mine were ok until it was pretty humid and then they'd start arcing.

A very simple method to check if you don't have an ohm meter is to heat the bike up and try pulling plug wires, insert a spare plug and see if you're losing spark on any.

I found a used set on ebay for 30$ fixed my trouble.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:21:16 am by gilesclement »

Offline Jay B

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:31:02 am »
I banged my head against the wall for ages trying to sort out a bad high rpm miss on my brothers '79 dohc 750. (Same style ignition as your 650 I beleive) I talked to Jeff at Z1 and put a Dyna 2000 kit in it and it runs like a champ. It was $417.00 including shipping and new plug wires. Well worth the money compared to prices of new parts, or trying to ebay 30 year old parts that may or may not work, IMO
Jay
'77 CB550K
'74 CB350F cafe
2001 Road King
'73 CB175

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 12:26:26 pm »
It is when i give it heavy gas seems to run fine as long as I dont go heavy on the throttle. I am trying to get one aired in so I can try it this weekend and see if it is the hot start issues.

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:50:44 pm »
271.00 from honda dealer ouch

Not bad considering the alternative I went with...

I am running a dyna2000 setup.
with the kit, and programming kit(not really needed, but nice) 400+
Surprisingly I used a DOHC cb750 kit.
The downside is I had to graft the dyna2000 pickups (triggers?) onto the stock timing plate.
AS WELL as modifying the crank trigger to have the locating pin on the correct bolt circle as well as the correct diameter.
If I was not a machinist, I guess the damage would have been 600+.
Luckily I had all the tools/machines and materials to do the needed work at the time.

Have you tried running without your air filter in??
If it runs better, mabey you just need a new filter.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:53:04 pm »
And yes the DOHC 750/900/1100's use a similar(identical?) system, just the parts are mounted differently.
I have ran with DOHC 750 CDI units before, as well as once grafted some 750 pickups onto a 650 timing plate.(the DOHC 750 timing plate is a 2 bold mount, the 650's uses 3 mount bolts)
Both worked well.
Not to mention other adaptable DOHC 750 parts.....

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650