Author Topic: Project Rina ------ the scooter intimidator!  (Read 27412 times)

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
Re: Project Rina the P.I.T.A. Pg. 5
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2009, 07:17:21 pm »
Hit over the 20,000 mile mark so the switch should be soon.

I have rebuilt the caliper today.  I took a bench mounted wire wheel to it then finished up with the dremel then gave it a coat of flat black engine paint.  I then cured it in my official Jeep Cherokee oven which was preset to 30 mile drive home  :D

Its all back together and is working great!  No squeeky  ;D

I think I have found my new tail light though its the perfect size

I will have to make a bracket for it but it will be nice when I get all done. Also my sprocket arrived today so now I am going to see how the 16 tooth front feels. Rina is running much better now.  I can't see smoke anymore but still smells like she's running rich so I guess we will see...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:19:16 pm by razor02097 »
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2009, 07:31:32 pm »
Have you tried removing the cover over the air filter? I've read that the air system is pretty restricted on these bikes, if you have it on and are running rich, removing it may place you closer to where you want to be and is really easy.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2009, 12:26:47 pm »
Have you tried removing the cover over the air filter? I've read that the air system is pretty restricted on these bikes, if you have it on and are running rich, removing it may place you closer to where you want to be and is really easy.

Brandon

She won't run right with the cover off.  In fact with the 100 jets she won't run right on the OEM filter...so the UNI is staying.  I am getting really good at pulling the carbs off though... I can do it in about 5 minutes on or off now.  I took out the mix screws to see whats up... found that 3 of 4 washers where gone. and 2 of 4 had 2 o rings in them... wtf... I must have been tired or drunk when I put the carbs back together.  I changed the spark plugs to a fresh set and I have the mix screws 2 turns out and she runs better with less rich smell... figure that one out  ::)  Meh... at least I've attained idle... I'm not holding my breath though.  I'm counting on her still giving me grief.

On a lighter note though I mounted the tail light I will have on for good.  Its been a while since I was able to take good body shots of her so I did it today...

What do you think?
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline manjisann

• Master
Re: Project Rina should just go on a low carb diet... PG. 6
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2009, 12:32:33 pm »
PHAT  ;D Seriously, that is one sharp looking bike!

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2009, 07:38:26 pm »
PHAT  ;D Seriously, that is one sharp looking bike!

Brandon

thanks man  :)

This place seems to keep me motivated otherwise I think Rina would be in someone Else's garage by now.  When she's a runnin I'm a likin it... when she's not I want to toss her off a cliff... sometimes the problems are so frustrating that even a machaphiliac would have a difficult time loving her.  :-*

I would have to guess all in total since I started the project in June I have spent 700 bucks.  The suspension was the bulk of it at $400  :o

Since I've owned the bike back in 04 I have spent under $2000 including the purchase of the bike.  However I have spent some long...long long hours working on Rina.
Project Rina

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2009, 01:19:54 pm »
Hi, my name is Brandon, and I've spent waaaaayyyyy to much money on my build, and it's not done yet, and I'm not positive she runs  :-[

I paid $500 for the original bike, $550 for the parts bike with good frame, and I'm guessing around $2500 to $3k in parts and tools. I will NEVER be able to get out of my bike what I put into it, but it's a labor of love (spelled O.B.S.E.S.S.I.O.N.) I'm just lucky my wife is so understanding and patient!

Seriously though, bike looks awesome, and just think of all you have learned and will learn. I'm starting to have neighbors have me work on their bikes because they've heard I know what I'm doing (haha, rumors) and they pay money! Not a bad hobby really. But I know what you mean about tossing it off a cliff, I've contemplated a few different ways to destroy my bike as things went horridly awry.

Keep up the good work!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2009, 02:15:57 pm »
Hi Brandon.
Welcome to our club support group. :D
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2009, 02:23:16 pm »
Haha, at this point I think I'm the treasurer, although I think thats a very bad idea.  ;)

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »
yup I agree this is obsession... Thing is I would pay someone to work on Rina but I have a hard time handing over the key without tackling the guy 2 seconds later  ???  I need in the support group too.... and tie me down Kit I don't want to hurt anyone.  ;)
Project Rina

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2009, 10:57:46 pm »
it gets easier to spend that money when you don't keep track of how much you throw at the bike. 
I've already gone on a ranting tirade that ended with me pulling a $10 out of my wallet and tossing it at the bike to appease the bike gods' unending hunger for spendable bendable.

I get pretty dramatic when I'm PO'd.
;D
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2009, 04:03:29 am »
I'd sacrifice a virgin to the motorcycle gods, but people get unreasonable when you do that for some reason  ;D

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2009, 01:54:13 pm »
Today is the first time I rode home and just parked the bike without tearing it apart!  ;D

She ran and idled great so I'm happy about that
Project Rina

Offline cb650PK

• Hot Shot
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2009, 06:13:42 pm »
Have you tried to shim the needles for richer mid range? Also to trow more money on the bike, I recommend Tarrozi fork brace for small but noticeable front end improvement .
S CB750 na vecne casy a nikdy jinak.

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2009, 04:19:33 am »
Have you tried to shim the needles for richer mid range? Also to trow more money on the bike, I recommend Tarrozi fork brace for small but noticeable front end improvement .

the mid and high seems ok its the idle and off idle I had trouble with.  I would dred shimming the needles though its not like my RM that I can do in 5 minutes  :o
Project Rina

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2009, 07:41:32 pm »
Not much going on lately.  I have been riding without wrenching... weird  ::)  It is suppose to rain this weekend and all next week so I may just be cleaning and polishing for now.  I'm on the lookout for new rims and spokes as the ones on Rina are more then likely shot.  The chrome is bubbling.  I would look into powdercoating them but not sure how much powder would cover or the prep involved.

She seams lean off idle confirmed by using choke and improvement so I may turn out the screws more 1/4 turn at a time.  Also I hearing a puff from the airbox.  Cylinder 3 is out of sync with 1,2,4... Hoping that it will hold a sync better with time cause I did pull the carbs apart completely.  The brass nipples are a savior it makes hooking up the mercury gauge a snap! 

I can also work on the new gauge cluster... I have a thin carbon fiber plate I was going to use to cover it when done.  I would like to find a red, blue, amber and green LEDs from radio shack or something for all the idiot lights.

Also I do have an extra set of mufflers I can't get them apart so I was thinking about drilling out 1 or 2 chambers of the 3 in each muffler.  I dunno maybe I'm trying to find something to do with this bike.  Its strange to not have to take the carbs off and tear them apart after every ride  :o
Project Rina

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
Re: Project Rina ------ Horray she's running on rebuild carbs!
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 05:55:40 pm »
Bump...

I redid the badges.  I got the paint off to plan on new black paint but after stripping I found that the badge looks great without paint.  So I polished them up and tried them on the bike.  Here are the results.

Managed to break the pull cable the other day :(  Sounds like a perfect time to switch to new hand controls.  ;D

Got the cables sorted out next is wiring.  I'm on call this week so not much time to work on Rina.  I will be documenting when I get to it.  The new controls are off of a 2005 GSXR 600.  I still need to figure out the dash though...

Driving home the other day I saw a tree on the road... I thought it strange as there are no trees around that area... then it pulled up to a light...

Is it legal?... probably not... is it funny?... F yeah

Last saturday I was working on the garage.  Repairing the roof isn't fun.  Trying to build up a place I can be proud of.

Today after pulling into the bank parking lot I saw something rare...

pretty sweet huh?  To see cars like that will make my day  :)
Project Rina

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2009, 06:06:57 pm »
Driving home the other day I saw a tree on the road... I thought it strange as there are no trees around that area... then it pulled up to a light...

Probably drove safer than half the drivers around here!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2009, 02:02:44 am »
Nice tank, how did you clean up your badges so well?
I'm scared to touch mine.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2009, 04:38:05 am »
Nice tank, how did you clean up your badges so well?
I'm scared to touch mine.

soaked in gasoline to loosen the paint.  Scrubbed with a nylon brush then used an old tooth brush to get in the tight spots.  After all that I used a buff wheel (no compound) go shine them up a little.  Cleaned them off with WD-40 and bolted them on.

I wax them with the rest of the tank; I have a clean toothbrush I use only for getting wax out of nooks and cranies on vehicles.  I use that on the badges to get the excess wax out.
Project Rina

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
Re: Project Rina ------ Watch me push her buttons (O.o)
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2009, 03:59:28 pm »
Well I have been very busy... not with Rina so much as the damn garage... I had started the project early last month and have worked tirelessly on it.  In fact until today Rina sat with the broken throttle cable!

I have som pics of the progression of the "wood" garage.  I'm going for a more finished floor instead of concrete.  So far I have a 9' X 12' platform in which to work on the bikes now.  Its made from treated 4X4 frame on gravel ground.  3/4" treated ply for the floor.  Using a grid pattern each square is about 9" X 6" so its a pretty strong floor.  I'm not planning on putting in a car lift or anything.  Doing small sections I can keep a budget and still get a floor down.  

I still need to cut the ply and screw it down right now I have 3 sheets down just sitting but here are some pics.

Anyway back to the important thing here... RINA!

The handlebar switches came from a 05 gixxer.  I grafted them to the existing honda switch harness to make them plug and play.  The only thing was the suzuki starter button is pretty simple with SPST monentary switch.  The honda is a DPST switch which kills the light when the starter is pushed.  As of right this very moment in time I have hardwired the light to stay on even when starting Rina.  Eventually I will use a relay to make it correct.

I did a video of the function checks.  Now it is pretty warm today so I didn't think I needed choke to test the ignition kill but I was wrong.  That is what happend.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:04:21 pm by razor02097 »
Project Rina

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2009, 05:11:24 pm »
let me know how that goes... I really like the look of the new pods...
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2009, 05:22:37 pm »

HAHA, that just kills me. I'm with kit, love the look of the switches, so much cleaner than our stock ones! I might have to do something like that. The only other option I found was these weird chrome covers you fit over them, but since I've painted most of the chrome on my bike, it'd look kinda wierd.

Nice job on the flooring. If you built it right, you might not get away with a lift, but you would be able to park a car on them ;D

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2009, 05:37:50 pm »
Thanks guys ;D

Anybody that wants to wire up new switches I would be happy to share my knowledge... or maybe offer my services.  Either way its 1000 times better then the stock switches for fit and feel.  The pull cable is the stock Honda CB cable adapted to the gixxer throttle housing but the push cable is I believe is a pull cable I got from a shadow  ???  It does bolt up and is safe (plus I get a push cable adjustment too)  All in all not bad for 25 bucks worth of parts n all.

As far as the flooring goes I did pull my jeep up on the platform to measure flex.  There isn't a very noticeable difference.  Largest difference with jeep on is less then 1/16 inch and error may negate or intensify that number.  I think the floor will be plenty strong to hold a car.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:39:33 pm by razor02097 »
Project Rina

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2009, 05:52:27 pm »
Anybody that wants to wire up new switches I would be happy to share my knowledge... or maybe offer my services.  Either way its 1000 times better then the stock switches for fit and feel.  The pull cable is the stock Honda CB cable adapted to the gixxer throttle housing but the push cable is I believe is a pull cable I got from a shadow    It does bolt up and is safe (plus I get a push cable adjustment too)  All in all not bad for 25 bucks worth of parts n all.

Can the stock cables not be used?

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2009, 05:53:01 pm »
oop! that's the sound of a deal breaking...
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale