Author Topic: Project Rina ------ the scooter intimidator!  (Read 27410 times)

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
Project Rina ------ the scooter intimidator!
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:50:40 pm »
Hello all

I thought I would make a topic on my up and coming project...well its an ongoing project, not a transformation.   :D

To start off with its a 1980 CB650. I bought this bike for $700 the only non OEM was the gutted exhaust.  It did have idling problems which where fixed with a carb cleaning.  I have been riding and wrenching on this thing for years so I will start with what I have today.  The things I have already completed are as follows...

Front MC rebuild     Front caliper rebuild     Dyna coils    
CB1100F igniters    Battery tender            New tires    
carbs rebuilt         Gixxer exhaust             side bags            

Every year I have done the following

Adjusted valves    Change oil + filter    sync carbs

Now the good parts!   :D :D  Photos   :D :D

The following is a closer photo of the exhaust I have.  Its a GSXR 1300 muffler on the OEM 4 into 2 pipe.  2 mufflers total.

The handlebars I have arn't OEM they are superbike bars with roadhawk mirrors.   :-\

I do have the typical oil leak from the left side  >:(

I also have a movie for you all to enjoy... cold start even!   ;D

Im planning on a few things during summer  8)
brakes front and rear
Uni filter
New clutch
new chain and sprokets front and rear

and a few things during winter   ::)
head gasket
replacing valve springs and seals
lapping in valves
cleaning up in general
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:56:12 pm by razor02097 »
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
Re: Project...well I don't have a name for it yet...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:13:46 pm »
Just ordered the parts for brakes, clutch and what not... After work I'm picking up new mirrors.  I'm hoping I can find a master link for my 530 chain   ::)

Need the seat redone... the rips in the seat make the bike look terrible...  Any ideas would be appreciated.
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:10:29 pm »
Bought mirrors and master link!
Cleaned out the ignition advance and pickup and cleaned up the ignition cover.  I try to take photos of everything...I know how y'all like photos...

Adjusted the timing and test rode.  It seems to be running a bit better.

sorry I took that vid with my cell phone  :-\

Installed my new chain also its a 530 X ring gold tsubaki chain

I wanted chrome mirrors with a different style I found these mini cruiser mirrors from emgo... cheepies but they will do.

I found that the air cut off valves are probably screwed... I am going to wait till winter to rebuild the carbs.

Finally this is the dreaded seat problem I have... it makes the bike look so bad  :'(

Project Rina

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »
We do love pics and videos, don't we.  I like the look of those mufflers on the 650, sounds good too!  Sorry to hear about your seat, maybe a local auto upholstery shop can do something for you, or there's likely a cover available on eBay.
Good work, Keep it up.
-A

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:48:05 am »
Interesting look with those mufflers on there.  Did you add them yourself? 

Looks good. Have fun with those air cut-off valves when you get to them  ;D
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:33 am »
Hey, could you take a pic of the new dyna coils on it?  I'd been considering dyna coils, but no one on here knows how the dynas fit under the '80 tank. 

Very nice bike, btw.  Going to stick with the red?  The whole thing looks pretty flashy. :D  I like the pipes, too. Very neat look.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 12:06:59 pm »
@ alan:  Thanks and yeah seat is a bummer I'm on the lookout for local shops that will deal with motorcycle seats...some I have called only do home furnature or car interior... nothing that would stand up to any weather  ::)...

@ Joe:  Thanks and yes I did add the mufflers.  I got the idea from my other project.  I picked up a full exhaust for a stock Gixxer 1300 from a shop local for $30 including header collector and mufflers!  I spent about 2 days fitting it all together then I welded it up trying to keep obstruction to a minimum... I have a 120V MIG at home so I can do various minor repairs.  I'm not worried about the cut off valves too much... the mufflers provide enough backpressure that it slows the bike down and hides the popping on decel   :-[

@ kit:  Thanks and yes I will keep it red.  Your right Dyna coils arn't a bolt up deal... they will bolt on the tank will not fit.  I made quick L brackets to point the wires down... its not perfect but the coils where a freebie and eventually I want to replace the whole deal with a digital ignition or maybe a Hondaman ignition with dyna coils.  

Here are some photos of the coils.  She is modest so talking her into nudie pics was a trip...  ::)

I also have adapters for when I sync the carbs... they make the job a whole lot better.

I also have a closer photo of the transition of the stock pipe to the suzuki muffler.

Here is a photo from the back... you can see the right muffler is pointing more out then the left, this is an illusion acording to the tape measure  ???

I have to admit I am a fan of large cans... err can style mufflers... :-X
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:15:07 pm by razor02097 »
Project Rina

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 04:45:05 pm »
I like the exhaust, too.

How bad is your oil leak? Mine was so bad I could literally watch it run out and down my motor, and I'd end up with an oil soaked shoe.  There is an oil line that runs up through the block, and is sealed at the head with an o-ring. That's really all I needed on mine.   

If you change that yourself, don't let anyone, not even really good friends help. I did, and it cost me $600.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 06:25:08 pm »
how about a name for your project>>>>>>  "project big pipe"..... ::) ::) ::)
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
Ha ha your 650 sounds just like mine, but it should quieten once it warms up eh, or is that cam chain rattle always there?
Man you have done some shyte to your bike, I'm impressed.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 09:19:33 pm »
yeah, I don't quite have that kind of tapping, it sounds more like a couple of dueling sewing machines, listening to my bike idle.  a synch will do you good, for sure.

Cam chain, too.  I'd set it by turning the engine by hand slowly, backing the nut loose, rotate, rotate, rotate the engine, then tighten the nut down.  Yay for auto-tensioners.  If it still makes noise, get it idling lowish and loosen the nut just enough so you can feel the vibration against the wrench (it's a very different feeling, you'll know it when you feel it) then tighten it up again. 

Very sweet build, again.  I love those big cans, too. Generally not a fan sportbikes but I can make some definite exceptions.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 10:04:02 pm »
I thought these bikes always have valve noise though? 

The clutch noise dwarfs the valve train noise  :P

I did sync the carbs already this year but I did not check the valve clearances.  I'm afraid to mess with the tensioner cause I haven't before on this bike and I don't want to shear the stud.  I might play with it to see if it will loosen without grief but if it won't Imma leave it alone till off season.

The oil leak is only present after a ride and bike on kickstand... verrrry little.  It was worse leaking out of the valve cover.  I replaced the gaskets though.  MJL you had to replace the head gasket and all right?  I didn't think there is a way of getting the O ring back in there without taking the head off.

BTW these motors studded or bolt?  Im sure the answer is on the forum but its 1am and Im a lazy arse.  :D
Project Rina

Offline martino1972

• Expert
  • and still a expert welder,period...
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 10:37:31 pm »
bolted....
Marti, I want you to know, I like you an awful lot, but guys have said far less and left wearing their drinks on their shirts.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36933.0  (my bobber)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 12:34:13 am »
Yikes mate adjust your cam chain, as Kit said just put bike on main stand and when the bike has reached a decent idle back the adjuster nut off about two turns, I'd be amazed if the bike doesn't quiten right down after that, you will actually hear the difference.
I was pretty skeptical about doing it while the bike was running too but it works. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 10:00:10 am »
VERY NICE, I love the red, and as Kit and others have said, the exhaust looks really good.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 10:37:09 am »
oh, dude, when you clean those carbs, just strip 'em all the way down to the aluminum bodies, go to the dollar store (or dumpster diving) and get a little quart saucepan (3" deep at least) fill with simple green, and put on the stove on 'low'.  put one of the carb bodies in, loose pieces, etc. wiggle now and then.  ~10 minutes later (about the time it takes to blow out/clean out tubes/jets/orifices) pull it out and give it a good brushing over with an old tooth brush.  Rinse well with hot water because you don't want simple green in your gas or on your aluminum forever.  They'll be cleaner than they were when they fell outta the machine in Japan.  For bonus points, take another old toothbrush, put some Mother's aluminum/Mag cleaning paste on it and scrub the visible parts of the carb body, buff with a soft cloth, and rinse again to make sure none of that paste gets into the orifices.  Makes 'em super shiny and nice.
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
Re: Project... well I don't have a name for it yet...
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 03:05:43 pm »
I am taking the seat for estimates on recovering and possible modification... more on that later...  I believe I have found a name for this project.. Rina the 'Crimson Beauty' 650... Is it too cheesy?  I don't care  :P

Anyway my local welding shop refered me to a place that will powder coat and chrome parts... I already know a good machine shop so this project should start moving along...
The carbs are staying on the bike till I have trouble or winter which ever comes first.  I will definitly do something thanks for the suggestion Kit

This winter will be busy though. 
Project Rina

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 03:27:18 pm »
I am taking the seat for estimates on recovering and possible modification... more on that later...  I believe I have found a name for this project.. Rina the 'Crimson Beauty' 650... Is it too cheesy?  I don't care  :P

Anyway my local welding shop refered me to a place that will powder coat and chrome parts... I already know a good machine shop so this project should start moving along...
The carbs are staying on the bike till I have trouble or winter which ever comes first.  I will definitly do something thanks for the suggestion Kit

This winter will be busy though. 
I vote FOR cheezy names. Like the drag racers of old. They named their racers. Like the Sorceror, or Baccaruda, or Paper Tiger. Kept them for more than one racing season, they weren't throwaways like modern day roadracers. Undoubtedly there is some deeper meaning to you, and that's cool.  Sigh...

Mine is "Phaedrus" from one of the most fabled alter egos in modern literature. My bike is my alter ego. It's who I would be if I weren't me.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MosquitoJones

• how do i ried biek? and how did I become an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 04:48:07 pm »
or Baccaruda,
It's what you get when you mix card games with cheese!  ;D  If you just want to replace the vinyl without redoing the foam, you can find kits all over online.  If you want to redo the entire thing that'll cost you a bit more (but probably be a lot more comfortable in the "end" )
'82 CB650, 65 CP77 Superhawk in chunks

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 06:04:36 pm »
or Baccaruda,
It's what you get when you mix card games with cheese!  ;D  If you just want to replace the vinyl without redoing the foam, you can find kits all over online.  If you want to redo the entire thing that'll cost you a bit more (but probably be a lot more comfortable in the "end" )

More like: "Sox and Martin built a state-of-the-art ‘66 Cuda Funny Car known as the "Baccaruda." The car was very competitive and won a lot of races against the heavy hitters of the day, including “Dyno Don” Nicholson and “Grumpy” Jenkins."  But a good laugh anyway.  :D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
Re: Rina the 'Crimson Beauty' 650
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 05:54:58 pm »
Its been a bit but I have been busy... The Bikebandit order comes tomorrow that will cover brakes, clutch, carb parts, uni air filter and sprokets.  

The seat leaves wednesday for recovering at a local shop.  While the seat is out I will adjust the cam chain and valves, pull the carbs.

I found a thread on here about making a soda blaster on the cheap and thought I would give it a shot.  I went to a hardware store and picked up a few items.  They had cheap universal media blasters that look like paint guns for like 16 bucks but they either have the hopper on the top or on the bottom.  I wanted one with a remote hopper so its not so bulky.

cheap air gun  3.99
cheap regulator 6.99
coupler set 1.99
Tubing  1.50
tape  .49
piece of copper tube  freebie

total with tax $16.16

Then I went to dollar store and bought 6 boxes of baking soda for $3.00 (no tax)

total with blasting media $19.16

Cheapest soda blaster rig I could find is $99.00 without media, blasting gun or couplers.

Here are pics.

This is a closeup of the regulator... I figure a little adjustment in the rig is good?

The junction where they meet is stupid simple... both go in a large tube and its taped...

Haven't tried it yet but worst thing that happens is I have a new fancy air gun and a bunch of baking soda.  I will keep updates when I try it out.

Completely off topic though... I found a pic even an avid cat hater can't resist...

That is my cat when he was 3 weeks old... I found out he liked to be in a safe, quiet spot so he found one.   :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:26:16 pm by razor02097 »
Project Rina

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 06:10:51 pm »
You'll need something to filter the water out of the air or else it will most likely plug your system. HF has some cheap desicant filters you can use, I have one and can't complain.

Cute pic of the cat  :D

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 06:12:19 pm »
You'll need something to filter the water out of the air or else it will most likely plug your system. HF has some cheap desicant filters you can use, I have one and can't complain.

Cute pic of the cat  :D

Brandon

I have a water trap on my air compressor will that work?
Project Rina

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 02:45:42 pm »
Parts came in today....  :D HORRAY PARTS!!!  :D

Seat goes out tomorrow and I figure I have wed, thurs, fri, and weekend.  I dunno their turn around time though.  Hoping to at least get the parts installed and change out the oil.  Want to pull carbs and soda blast them.  Until I get the head gasket replaced they will be just as bad by the end of the riding season.  ::)
Project Rina

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 11:34:17 am »
Installed new clutch, tightened the cam chain, replaced rear shoes and new sprokets.  Installed the UNI air filter but may go back to paper cause she actin kinda funny with it.  Still need to do the front but when I do the MC gets rebuilt as well as the caliper.  Would like to find a SS line to go to the caliper and I will change the fluid to a synthetic to cut down on the moisture.  Priced how much the machine shop would charge to slot my rotor and true it up.  Around $45 is that too much you think?  ???

letting the plates maranate in 10W40 before I started on the clutch...

I had to lol about this one though... look at what the PO did with the retention in the clutch cover... must have been special in the head...

Found out my Fin clutch nut wrench doesn't fit  >:(  Really hated to but I had to use a punch and hammer method to get the stupid thing off... I wasn't happy.  Also found fing rust on the clutch plate  ???

Scraping the gasket material off was a pain cause it was gettin dark...I did finish though

Installed new clutch springs and replaced the bearing.  Since they are OEM and cheap I though it a good idea... turns out I was right though the clutch springs that where in there where soft as heck!  The new springs where nice and stiff.  The clutch lever has a better feel now.

Still waiting on the seat I decided to go with a dark burgendy red piping and black walabe vinal.  It should look pretty slick... I also am wanting to put gel in to make long rides nice n comfy.  when I get it back I will post pics
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 05:08:41 am by razor02097 »
Project Rina