Author Topic: Headlight flickers after installing clubmans  (Read 816 times)

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
Headlight flickers after installing clubmans
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:59:17 pm »
I put clubmans on my '76 CB550, I notched each control and ran the wires outside of the bars. Upon reconnecting everything, my headlight doesn't always work. Sometimes it stays on solid, sometimes it flickers, sometimes it blinks off for a little bit.

I triple checked every connector in the headlight bucket and cleaned them all. I checked all of the fuses, and they're good. I disconnected and cleaned all of the plastic plugs behind the left side cover. I cleaned and re-cleaned the switches in both left and right-hand controls.

There's no difference in how the bike runs, and I don't have turn signals so I can't see what those do. This did not happen at all before installing the clubmans, only after.

Suggestions? Thinks I could go back through and check again?

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
Re: Headlight flickers after installing clubmans
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:40:51 pm »
Does it flicker when you move either one of the wire bundles around?  You may have a broken wire somewhere along the run.  Has the wire come loose at the solder connection to the switch?

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:02:53 am »
I can't seem to repeat the problem. Shaking the wires doesn't necessarily do it, and IIRC the starter switch wires are good, I don't remember what the headlight switch wiring looked like.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:50:26 am »
Got it figured out -
The right hand control passed a visual inspection, so I didn't think anything of it.

I decided to dig deeper and pulled the starter button out of the housing. As I did, the plastic surrounding the switch disintegrated in my hands. I ended up wiring two separate switches, so I can turn my headlight on and off now. All is well.