Author Topic: Mo the 80 CB650 Custom: "As the Spanner Turns..."  (Read 80671 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Mo the 80 CB650 Custom:Discouraging results!!!!
« Reply #525 on: May 08, 2010, 10:02:22 pm »
Behave yourself Kit, I actually went and looked at that advert duh! ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Kurlon

« Reply #526 on: May 08, 2010, 10:03:53 pm »
You've proven you have an ignition problem, so I wouldn't worry about chasing jetting for now.  Chase down the ignition problem and I think you'll find your jetting is pretty darn close already.

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #527 on: May 09, 2010, 03:54:59 am »
You've proven you have an ignition problem, so I wouldn't worry about chasing jetting for now.  Chase down the ignition problem and I think you'll find your jetting is pretty darn close already.

Agreed, that is my plan. I just try and think ahead, which is probably a waste of time sometimes  :D

Behave yourself Kit, I actually went and looked at that advert duh!  ;D

HAHAHAHAHA, at least it wasn't a sheep  ;)

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #528 on: May 10, 2010, 06:56:53 am »
Behave yourself Kit, I actually went and looked at that advert duh! ;D

This is why I preview the hyperlink before I click.  Well, for most people.

For Kit, I remote login to a computer with a self-destruct switch, just to be sure.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #529 on: May 12, 2010, 12:08:06 pm »
I swapped the coils around, put in new plugs and verified that all cylinders were warming up, they were. I went for a ride, and once she started bogging came back home and checked the pipes.... 1-4 were super hot, not red hot, but hot enough to almost instantly melt the ridges on my fingerprints. 2-3 were just warm, like always.... so I'm guessing it's not the coil  ??? ??? I swapped the little spark things under the seat by just switching the connectors. I figured if I did that I'd need to swap the plug wires, but it wouldn't start and backfired and such, so I put the plug wires back and it fired right up (does this mean I didn't actually swap the sparker units and just put them back as they were?)  I rode off and after a bit, same issue, started bogging, came home and pipes were the same 1-4 hot, 2-3 luke warm.

I checked the plugs at some point, and true to past results 1-4 were showing nice and lean while 2-3 were dark and rich looking. I checked and for some reason when I tried to get the plugwire in the #2 position I couldn't get any plugs to spark, but when I put the plugs in #1 wire they would spark just fine.

So here is my question.

If the plug in #3 is fouled and I try to test the plug in #2, because 3 is fouled 2 wouldn't fire???

I also decided to put some tape over the pods to see what would happen, she was bogging from the get go. I suppose this isn't really all that helpful since the two center cylinders already weren't firing.

At this point to keep my sanity, I'm having to put any dreams of riding the bike any time soon to do anything other than test it on hold. At this point I'd love to go back to the stock setup, but since I've already altered the tank permanently, I'm pretty much committed. Besides, going back to stock would feel like being defeated.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #530 on: May 12, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »
there's more than coils- there's igniters and pulsers, too.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »
Yes Kit is right and in my post on your other thread I suggested you hook up with Soos and swap in some different pulsers and ignitors as they are more likely your suspect parts.
Swapping the ignitors would have put your timing out totally as they fire from the pulsers. ;D
For you brandon it's gonna be swap and see tests until you find the problem....but for God's sake don't tell TT I said that OK! :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #532 on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »
Ha! ::)
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #533 on: May 12, 2010, 05:53:41 pm »
Double ha!

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #534 on: May 12, 2010, 06:18:23 pm »
For you brandon it's gonna be swap and see tests until you find the problem....but for God's sake don't tell TT I said that OK!

Don't worry, your secret is safe with me  ;)

I have a spare set of pulsers from my spare motor. I measured the resistance on both sets of pulsers. The ones on the running (I use that term loosely) bike measure 524 ohms on the blue side and 547 ohms on the yellow side. The ones on the non running engine is 514ohms, so I'm not really sure what that means. According to the Clymer manual it is supposed to read 530 +or- 50 ohms, so both should be in spec. I may ride it around till it's acting up and then take a reading, since it's super easy to to do.

I just wish I knew what happened to the ignitors from the parts bike, oh well, guess I'll send Soos a pm if it comes to that.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #535 on: May 13, 2010, 12:50:57 pm »
SUCCESS I think. I put the spare set of pulsers on my bike, timed and gapped them then fired her up. I didn't do anything else than this, didn't even clean the plugs or anything. She fired up happy as a clam, after a bit of idling I checked the pipes, all 4 were toasty. Shut her off, went and grabbed my riding gear, fired her back up and went for a ride. I put her through her paces and even rode on the cursed road (theres a road that every time I turned onto it I'd start bogging.) I rode as long or longer than I'd normally be able to before this, so at this point I'm saying the old pulser coils were what was causing the problem. When I got back I checked the resistance on the pulsers. Cold it was 514 each color, hot after 6 miles of riding, 650ohms. Thats a decent jump in my book, at this point I'm guessing that the other set of pulsers would get too resistant and the spark at the plugs wasn't strong enough.

I haven't pulled plugs yet, I was just happy to be rid of the bogging problem. I'm going to have to start tuning the carbs now. While riding I'd get some burbling at the exhaust pipes. All things considered I'm considering this a huge win. I'll start pulling the plugs and tuning the carbs later.

I also received the new speedometer and installed it before I went test riding, AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!! It read the correct speed, AND the needle didn't bounce at all and the trip odometer appears to work as well!! Two wins in one day, can't beat that!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #536 on: May 13, 2010, 04:35:07 pm »
That's fantastic.. See just keeping at it some times fixes things...

Good work..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #537 on: May 13, 2010, 05:11:15 pm »
You'll have to alter your header on this thread now Brandon. ;D

Offline manjisann

• Master
Re: Mo the 80 CB650 Custom:I think it's fixed, just gotta tune!!!!
« Reply #538 on: May 13, 2010, 06:42:55 pm »
There you go Hush, I altered the header  :D

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #539 on: May 13, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »
Good boy, now go do some work! :D

Online CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #540 on: May 14, 2010, 03:46:07 am »

I haven't pulled plugs yet, I was just happy to be rid of the bogging problem. I'm going to have to start tuning the carbs now. While riding I'd get some burbling at the exhaust pipes. All things considered I'm considering this a huge win. I'll start pulling the plugs and tuning the carbs later.

I also received the new speedometer and installed it before I went test riding, AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!! It read the correct speed, AND the needle didn't bounce at all and the trip odometer appears to work as well!! Two wins in one day, can't beat that!

Brandon

Check for exhaust leaks at the header or where the mufflers connect to the head pipes.  Popping on decel can be caused by this.  Best to make sure the exhaust system is leak free before moving on to fuel system tuning.

Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #541 on: May 14, 2010, 01:24:45 pm »
CBJoe, I replaced all the exhaust donuts a while ago and haven't removed it since, even tightened it down a hair the other day (I'm always paranoid I'll snap a post, as I've done it before  :-\ )

I've got to work on some boring life stuff so I may not really get to do much on the bike today or the next few days. However, everytime I say/think that I tend to work on it anyhow  ;D

I'm not saying I'm looking forward to tuning the carbs, but at least I have a better idea of what's going on there.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #542 on: May 14, 2010, 01:25:48 pm »
those donuts are a pain in the ass to get right.  sometimes I STILL wonder if I have some slight leak. :P
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Zig

• Enthusiast
« Reply #543 on: May 14, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »
Pulsers????

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #544 on: May 14, 2010, 01:44:18 pm »
the little black things on your ignition/timing plate on the bottom right on the right side of your bike (if you're sitting on it) They operate on the basis of minute magnetic signals instead of points/condensers.
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #545 on: May 14, 2010, 04:28:11 pm »
I didn't trust my crush gaskets either Kit so they got a coating of exhaust cement on them before fitting. ;D

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #546 on: May 14, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »
nothing like makin' the buggering sods permanent. ::)
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #547 on: May 14, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »
I just hate using pastes for anything I don't have to, however.... I just wish there was some way to test for this, anyone know a good way to test for slight exhaust leaks?

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #548 on: May 14, 2010, 09:30:20 pm »
start 'er up and light a stick of incense.  Make sure you get a nice, broad area of 'ember' on the stick so it's putting out a LOT of smoke.  Hold the stick in front of each header, real close, as the bike runs.  get someone to rev a little (or you can) and see if the smoke does any weird stuff.
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #549 on: May 14, 2010, 10:33:54 pm »
that's a great idea kit, beats trying to blow cigarette smoke at them
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project