Author Topic: Mo the 80 CB650 Custom: "As the Spanner Turns..."  (Read 79982 times)

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
Re: Mo the 80 CB650 Custom: "As the Spanner Turns..."
« Reply #650 on: August 09, 2010, 06:05:40 am »
Slappy valves are generally happy valves.  Mine was relatively quiet, and Paulages noticed it... we redid my valves and it acquired it's "Singer on 'roids" sound.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #651 on: August 09, 2010, 08:27:26 am »
Slappy valves are generally happy valves.  Mine was relatively quiet, and Paulages noticed it... we redid my valves and it acquired it's "Singer on 'roids" sound.

Well that answered the only real question I had. I was pretty sure I had done it right this time, but after the other engine eating itself I'm admittedly a wee bit paranoid. Nothing to do but ride her now though :)

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #652 on: August 09, 2010, 09:57:11 pm »
I ordered a new "OEM" speedometer cable from the dealer... friggen thing is the same length as the motion pro one, which is about an inch shorter than oem. I'll be returning that and they'd better not try and charge me a restocking fee.

Went for a ride as well and for the most part she handled it quite well. I held the rpms higher than 6k for most of it, and pulled off 30.99 mpg. I'm kind of wondering if she might be running a little rich mid throttle. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow and see how they look. According to my friend who was riding behind me she smokes when I first accelerate from a stop, and sometimes when I'm leaning hard right. I'm guessing my valve seals are the culprits. I'm not worried about it for now, she runs and seems to run strong, so I'm happy for now.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #653 on: August 17, 2010, 08:19:55 am »
It's funny, I was riding yesterday and noticed my bike had developed an odd whirring sucking noise above 2k rpms. I pulled the covers and checked the valves and a few had opened up .001 and one had tightened down a bit, so I reset them. I'm too oblivious to notice when someone I know cuts their hair or something, but if my bike starts making even the slightest different noise I notice... I also wanted to check them anyhow since I'm planning on a couple longish sort of trips today and the next couple days and would like to avoid another disasterous engine munching if I can. I'm beginning to suspect that the way I was gapping the valves at the very least contributed to the demise of my other engine. Oh well live and learn  :)

Keep the Shiney Side Up.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #654 on: August 19, 2010, 06:42:38 am »
One of these days, I'm going to build a bike with a chromed underside to the tank, float bowls and oil pan. Everything else will be matte black, just to mess with people who use that phrase.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #655 on: August 22, 2010, 04:04:09 am »
One of these days, I'm going to build a bike with a chromed underside to the tank, float bowls and oil pan. Everything else will be matte black, just to mess with people who use that phrase.     

You better be careful or the motorcycle gods (or some Harley Riders  ;D ) are gonna call your bluff and put ya shiney side up  ;)

For anyone who is reading it (ummmm, seriously are you guys checking it out??) my motorcycle trip blog is up to date with pics and ramblings. Let me know what you think.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom