Author Topic: '83 CB650z - rat cafe  (Read 7193 times)

madsen5

Re: '83 CB650z - rat cafe
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 04:19:29 pm »
You are gonna be in so much touble with someone when they see you have used the stove and their best pots for boiling bike bits ha ha, love it, can't wait to find out if the Kwaka carbs work for you. :D

If we are going to have anything to eat in this house I will have to make it. Actually I prefer it this way. My girlfriend cleans the kitchen afterwards and does the laundry instead. Anyway the stowe and pots are 'mine'. ;o) Put she didn't like the smell of gasoline from the carb parts for the two days they were lying in the kitchen.

Where did you buy your seat (or just the back end of the seat)? I love the look of it I might buy it for my CB500 cafe.

It's a seat cowl from a Suzuki GSXR600 and I got it of german Ebay. It cost me around 15 euro. :)

madsen5

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 04:32:17 pm »
The new carbs are on and working!!!!

It was so easy to put them on and they seem to have been made to fit this bike with this filter.
At first it was very lean but I have upped the main jets from 108's to 125's. The needles are the original non-adjustable items (i have checked all carb parts against the kwaki shop-manual). This means that the adjustable needles Soos have in his carbs must be part of a jet-kit or something. Anyway - I shimmed the needles with washers lifting them about 4,5 mm.

It feels about right now but I don't have enough experience to tell what changes to make from here.

All in all I consider the new carbs a big success well worth the effort.

I'll snap a few pictures asap.

Offline Nicolai

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 07:55:22 am »
Are you able to fit two people on that seat?
'77 CB500 K3

madsen5

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 02:35:51 pm »
Most of today was spent with the family but this evening I got away for a short ride. I belive it runs even better now than with the original carbs and air box. And it looks so much better without the air box. Next project is to hide the battery somewhere to completely free the triangle behind the carbs. I snapped a single picture of the setup just now. Its a flash picture taken in the dark but i guess you can see how well everything fits. I'm just so thrilled about this! :D

Nicolai - I made the seat for one person only but you can easily make it a bit longer. I'm putting rearsets on it later so mine will be a solo ride.

madsen5

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 02:42:30 pm »
By the way - I just won an Ebay auction for a rearset. It was 41 GBP which is about 50 dollars. Its being mailed from Australia so I will have to wait around 10 days for it. Here's the Ebay image...

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 09:07:55 am »
Is that carb switch something only works on the CB650z in '83, or does it work on others like an '80 CB650C?

Offline daewon774

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 05:57:42 pm »
By the way - I just won an Ebay auction for a rearset. It was 41 GBP which is about 50 dollars. Its being mailed from Australia so I will have to wait around 10 days for it. Here's the Ebay image...

Nice thread.  I just went through the entire read.  Great idea on the tank and especially the GSXR seat cowl.   I might go the same route and use the cowl on my cafe project as well. 

How hard was it to mount the tank from the cx500?  Was it just brackets that needed to be fabricated? 
I just picked up a 81' CB650.  The stock tank is just horrible.  I've been looking for options, lol.   ;D

BTW, any updates on your progress?
76' CB550
11' Ducati 848 EVO

madsen5

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 12:53:18 am »
Hi there

@The_Crippler - Try doing a search on the forum for Ninja carbs. You will find a few threads explaining exactly how things work with the Ninja carbs.

@daewon774 - It was real easy to use the CX500 tank. You just need to fabricate some very simple brackets to move the forward mounting rubbers down and forward a bit. In the back I used a 1" length of tube to lift the end a bit. That's it.

No progress in the last couple of months. I'm building a new kitchen, which includes new insulation, concrete slab, ceiling, plumbing, electricity, tearing down a few walls etc. So that will keep me busy for a while. Hope to be back on the project in a couple of months.

Thanks for your interest :)

/Mads