Author Topic: The forthcoming scrambler project (sohc but not 4)  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
  • Figuring it out, one expletive at a time.
    • http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
The forthcoming scrambler project (sohc but not 4)
« on: June 29, 2009, 01:41:30 pm »
I figured you honda nuts wouldn't mind, too much. I've come across a free 72 cl350. Best thing to barn fresh... yard fresh. No title. Seized motor. (potentially able to acquire title) I want it! I'm not seeing many CLs out there for the grabbing, though there appear to be a few. The question becomes, what kind of foxhole am I digging for myself if I take this on as a project? It'll need a lot of love... I'm hoping for a decent parts bike. Do any of the parts from similar year CBs work on these? What should I know? It's free, after all, but some of life's worse problems come with that price tags. All the same... I want it.
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

2009 Kawasaki Concours, 1978 cb550k, 2006 BMW F650GS

Member of the AMA

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
Re: The forthcoming scrambler project (sohc but not 4)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:11:54 pm »
I was given a basket case '68 (or early '69) CL175 last year.  Sloper motor.  Good luck!
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline Dave-and-his-550

• Hot Shot
  • I know the pieces fit...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 03:20:45 pm »
I know a guy who has a cl350 in need of a lot of work. Would be fun to work on his bike once I'm done with mine. Did you pick it up yet? I think it'll be a great bike once fixed up. I like the 350 twin size. Got pics?

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:26:05 pm »
Top end on '73 and later was somehow different, but far as I know, will work. I can't actually tell you what was different about 'em though.
No.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:59:38 pm »
Its a very strong candidate for a cafe...........take a look at ohiocafe.com...........my avitar is a 305 twin with a few mods..........don't confuse the 350 with the 360........also keep in mind that slide carbs and a few other thngs like higher compression was offered on the SL350K1-K2 models. All CB motor parts and carbs will work on the CL. Good Luck
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline schwebel

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:36:28 pm »
The biggest thing on a CL350 is the exhaust....is it intact?, rusted? I have a 73 CL350, and by far the most expensive thing is that high pipe exhaust. Very difficult to source. The suspension, tank/seat, bars, and gearing are different from a CB/SL. Also the top end is a little different ( I believe it is only the camshaft that makes the difference). The CL engine has more torque, but a couple less ponies. Almost any CB part can be used on a CL. My biggest complaint about its design is that you have to remove the engine to do any work to it, you can't change a headgasket, re-ring...etc with it in...big bummer. I swapped a CB motor in mine, as my CL motor was garbage. Engine parts, and most anything else on the CB/CL/SL's are very common parts. And also reasonably priced. I believe it is one of the highest production motorcycles in history, so there a lot of spares out there,...cept that darn exhaust...lol.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:54:23 pm »

The SL350K1 & 2 had different cam grinds and the heads had some differences like porting and valve sizes ( I think) The SL K1 & K2 DID, as was stated, have regular (non CV) carbs and also had NO provision for an electric starter. AND, as was also stated, there were different gear ratios. Not sure, off the top of my head, about the difference of the different years of the CB and CLs. If you get the notion of wanting a 21" front wheel, the SL350K2 came from the factory with one. If you want a different frame for the 350, the SL350 K2 & K3 had a totally different frame than the CB/CL or SL350K0.

Just some things to think about. :)

Gregg, of Ohio Cafe Racers, can really be of assistance, as was ALSO said.

Yake care, Bill ;)     
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 12:01:52 am »
click on the CL350 link in my sig below. Good luck ;D

P.S. The dual tank lines get to be a pain in the closing days of a rebuild, spill, spill ::)

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 01:03:08 am »
Top end on '73 and later was somehow different, but far as I know, will work. I can't actually tell you what was different about 'em though.

'73 was the last year for the 350. The top end is the same between the cl and the cb models, it's the gearing in the trans that is a little different. Swap the bodywork and pipes, and itls hard to tell the difference.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 04:54:50 am »
The biggest thing on a CL350 is the exhaust....is it intact?, rusted? I have a 73 CL350, and by far the most expensive thing is that high pipe exhaust. Very difficult to source. The suspension, tank/seat, bars, and gearing are different from a CB/SL. Also the top end is a little different ( I believe it is only the camshaft that makes the difference). The CL engine has more torque, but a couple less ponies. Almost any CB part can be used on a CL. My biggest complaint about its design is that you have to remove the engine to do any work to it, you can't change a headgasket, re-ring...etc with it in...big bummer. I swapped a CB motor in mine, as my CL motor was garbage. Engine parts, and most anything else on the CB/CL/SL's are very common parts. And also reasonably priced. I believe it is one of the highest production motorcycles in history, so there a lot of spares out there,...cept that darn exhaust...lol.

All things considered the pipes are in pretty good shape. They're rusty. I'm going to get this thing on the road first and foremost. I'm sure I'll clean the pipes... they seem pretty decent for where it's been. Could you coat parts that have been rusting with an engine temp clear coat? I live in a very humid clime with no garage...

I'm getting pretty excited to get this thing here... then I'll probably just sit and look at it. (not for beauty, but for lack of knowledge, parts, and funding) Anyone got a line on parts or a parts bike in or around VA?

Member of the AMA

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 05:15:31 am »
take care of the title before you do the project if possible. The DOT had a small fit cause my cafe looked different from the origional CL350. I talked them out of needing an inspection until they noticed the MFG compliance tag was missing. then they wouldn't budge. now I need an inspection to get a home-built title!

(see my thead on title work)
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:04:38 am »

'73 was the last year for the 350. The top end is the same between the cl and the cb models, it's the gearing in the trans that is a little different. Swap the bodywork and pipes, and itls hard to tell the difference.

Right, sorry about that. Not sure that's the only difference, though, Paul. Theres a reason that 73's aren't allowed in the V5 class out here at OMRRA, though, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the gearing and transmission.
No.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 12:49:16 pm »

Right, sorry about that. Not sure that's the only difference, though, Paul. Theres a reason that 73's aren't allowed in the V5 class out here at OMRRA, though, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the gearing and transmission.

might be the across the board '72 cutoff??  ;)

that said, the rules do say that you can run a later model as long as it was not visually different than the earlier ones as they came off the showroom floor. seems like a silly reason to disallow the '73 because of that if so. are you sure you're not just thinking of the '72 cutoff date for all V2 and V5?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:52:19 pm by paulages »
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1973 CB750K3
1996 KLX650 R

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 01:09:28 pm »

that said, the rules do say that you can run a later model as long as it was not visually different than the earlier ones as they came off the showroom floor. seems like a silly reason to disallow the '73 because of that if so. are you sure you're not just thinking of the '72 cutoff date for all V2 and V5?

Cutoff date is 67, but they allow the 72 cb350 because it is identical to the 67 350... 73 isn't allowed because of some difference (not visual) to the 67 somewhere...
No.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:56:29 pm »

Cutoff date is 67, but they allow the 72 cb350 because it is identical to the 67 350... 73 isn't allowed because of some difference (not visual) to the 67 somewhere...

Mark- there is no '67 cb or cl 350. The 350 began in '68, after the 305 line ended. I'll look back at the rules, but i'm pretty sure the '67 rule is for a different class than the V2 or V5.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1973 CB750K3
1996 KLX650 R

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 05:58:14 am »
B) Classic Vintage
   Thoroughbred racing or street motorcycles having a maximum model year of 1967,
   two-stroke or four-stroke, with the following exceptions which have a maximum model
   year of 1972 unless an earlier limit is specified:

No.

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 06:17:09 am »
Now that I read it again, it appears 1972 may be an arbitrary cutoff point. I'm gonna ask Lavelle again WTF next omrra meeting.
No.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 10:59:17 am »
we've totally hijacked this thread, but the full sections reads:

Classic Vintage
Thoroughbred racing or street motorcycles having a maximum model year of 1967,
two-stroke or four-stroke, with the following exceptions which have a maximum model
year of 1972 unless an earlier limit is specified:
 Aermacchi
 Benelli (except fours and sixes)
 BMW Rennsport, R50, R60, R69 (No /5 or later series)
 BSA singles and twins to 750ccs (all years)
 Bultaco singles
 Ducati singles (all years)
 Greeves Silverstone
 Harley-Davidson CR, ER, and KR
 Honda CR twins to 500ccs, Honda CB, CL, SL to 450ccs.

DAVE- good luck on that scrambler project! those are fun bikes.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1973 CB750K3
1996 KLX650 R

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:24 pm »
I suppose I'll be the hijack police. A little late. If you've got a parts bike for this thing in VA let me know!

Member of the AMA

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 12:50:43 pm »
I suppose I'll be the hijack police. A little late. If you've got a parts bike for this thing in VA let me know!

What kinda parts you need? I'm not in VA, though...
No.

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 01:46:50 pm »

What kinda parts you need? I'm not in VA, though...

Lord. I don't think that there is much of anything that I wouldn't need. This bike is pretty rough. cables are pretty much shot. I'm sure the carburetor is mostly flaky varnish, too. Tank is dented... engine seized, no title. So, even a titled frame would be worth something... I'm looking for things on the cheap for the moment. (So far, total investment has been $0) And it'll probably be a long project. Where are you?

Member of the AMA

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 01:58:36 pm »
Portland, OR.

Can't help you with a frame (need it for my bike), and you should use new cables, but may have a few things like stock pistons, camshaft, some carbs, crap like that.
No.

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 02:02:09 pm »
Righteous. I'm hassling my friend (who told me I can have it) about getting it as often as I can without pissing him off. I did fix his 750, after all... Once I get it, I'm going to check the carbs and see if I can get that motor freed. What's the winner for that? ATF and acetone? 

Member of the AMA

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »
Apparently, acetone mixed with ATF, yes. I've heard some people have good luck with pure seafoam dumped in there.
No.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »
Righteous. I'm hassling my friend (who told me I can have it) about getting it as often as I can without pissing him off. I did fix his 750, after all... Once I get it, I'm going to check the carbs and see if I can get that motor freed. What's the winner for that? ATF and acetone? 

If you can get a hold of an extra alternator rotor, weld a big nut to the center of it. I've broken many frozen 350 twins with this tool. Soak with some type of solvent as described above, and let it sit for a week or so before attempting to free it. Using this Ktool" (or the rear wheel in gear otherwise) rock the engine slowly back and forth. Don't try to free it all at once in one direction.

I don't necessarily endorse it, but I've run several after freeing the stuck rings with no problems. New rings/honing is the way to go though.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1973 CB750K3
1996 KLX650 R