Author Topic: 400f winter project UPDATE PICS  (Read 2125 times)

Offline XJrusso96

400f winter project UPDATE PICS
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:40:53 am »
Picked this up last summer for about 150 bucks.  Complete with broken controls, wires cut all over the place, and a mouse nest in the airbox.  So I threw it together with some clubmans, cafe seat, rustoleum rattle can paint job, and some elbow grease to make it road worthy.  Road it for a little while, but now, i've decided its time to tear it down and do it nicey nice.  I plan to start the tear down this weekend, I will keep things updated with pics of the progress.

Here is a pic from the initial phase.

And here is how it sits today, so this is what i'll be working with

more pics to come
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:22:46 pm by XJrusso96 »

Offline le_sterls

• Comic book
  • Enthusiast
  • Well than...
Re: 400f winter project PICS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »
Ahhhhh how I would love a 400-4 cylinder cafe racer ;D :D seems like it'd be a fun little ripper. great looking bike, it'll be nice to see it cleaned up a little more though. Best of luck to you.
That's what I'd like to hear.
'77 CB550k - running... For now...

Offline XJrusso96

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:07:41 pm »
Update:  I have been getting a decent amount of work done on the bike.  I haven't really documented too much of it but i'll share the pics that I do have.  I wish I had taken more before pics, but I think most of us on here know what the deal is with these project bikes.  Mine was no exception.  Road grime, corrosion, rust, pitting, you know, the usual.  So far I painted the frame, cleaned and painted the motor, semi-polished the forks, hubs, brake drum, and other misc parts.  I sandblasted and powder coated the rims, and laced them with pretty new spokes and brass nipples. So here are a few pics.  Some of them are cell phone pictures so sorry for low quality.

Half way done lacing the rear wheel. This one was cake, took maybe 20 minutes.  The front wheel however was a different story. I finished the whole wheel, then when it came time to tighten everything up , I realized that my inners on one side were off by one hole.  So it took another try to get it right.

Rear is finished!

Brought them to work with me and trued them up.

Also mounted and balanced the tires.  Sometimes I forget how nice it is to have access to things like truing stands, tire machines, and wheel balancers.  ;D

Thats all for now, I did some more work when i got home tonight, wheels are on the bike and its a rolling chassis again,  but didn't get to take pictures. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Offline daewon774

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:11:54 am »
Hey good luck on the build.  Great start. 

Btw, beautiful Gixxer back there.  Yours?

76' CB550
11' Ducati 848 EVO

Offline XJrusso96

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:51:11 pm »
Hey good luck on the build.  Great start. 

Btw, beautiful Gixxer back there.  Yours?

Thanks, and no the Gixxer isn't mine, but the red CBR back right is ;)

Put the forks back on, threw the wheels on was finally able to roll it again:

I'm currently working on the header,  a previous owner painted them black with what looks like cruddy grill paint.  I sandblasted them to get the paint off and sanded them up, then brushed with some fine steel wool and they are actually starting to look okay.  With a bit more time they might actually shine up pretty nice.   As for the muffler, I just trashed it.  It was pretty in pretty bad shape and the baffle was rolling around the inside of it.  I'm now trying to figure out a cheap alternative for a muffler cause with next semesters tuition coming up I'm on a very tight budget.  Does anyone have any suggestions?