Author Topic: Suzuki GT500: pulled out of the woods, where to even start?  (Read 15277 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Suzuki GT500: pulled out of the woods, where to even start?
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 03:13:23 am »
Hey Sporky I thought you said it was a wreck?
Heck give it a wash, scare the squirrels outa the airfilter, mow the seat and it'll probably start!
That is gonna be an easy rebuild mate, them things are piss easy to work on after Hondas.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 11:19:33 pm »
Well Hush, I'll get around to getting pictures of the cylinders up... Might change your mind. Looking at a nasty amount of rust in there. Carbs are completely seized up along with the forks, rear shocks and both brakes. Like I said, it was in a barn for 10 years and the woods for 16 or so. Around 300 inches of snowfall a year, it's been 100% buried in snow for 16 years in a row. Luckily it was nowhere near a road so it didn't get hit with the rock salt over the years.
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

bikermike

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 11:58:09 am »
Hi i just got a 1976 gt500 blue. i need a few things to complet the bike,I am curintly restoring it but im having problems finding parts, any suggestions
I live in Ontario Canada

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 12:41:20 pm »
Different vintage, I know, but this thread made me miss my '83 GS850GL.  First bike.  Pulled it out of a shed in the woods.  Ah, memories.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 03:32:10 pm »
I thought only bears #$%* in the woods! ;D
Nah I still say that is doable Sporky, soak everything in some form of liquid solvent, the carbs will come right they are sooo basic and jammed brakes etc are just time spent to get them cleaned and working.
I will admit a few seals and O rings are gonna be needed, but sounds like if it's too much of a mission for ya there are people lining up for parts so you could part her out and get some other guys 500's running. :D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 03:56:57 pm »
Without wanting to sound overly negative, it's probably not worth your time and effort to get that thing back into a useable condition.

To "unstick" everything you'll virtually need to lower the whole bike into a vat of PB Blaster, and leave it there for a year, and when it comes out it'll still be a clagged T500 (not a particularly collectable bike, even in "mint" condition) in need of a heap of parts, most of which will be hard to find in good condition.

Is there a "bitten off more than you can chew" smiley? Best of luck mate, if you're serious about returning that thing from the long dead, you're really, really gonna need it........  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 12:36:25 pm »
Hey Sporkfly. Don't let that Titan go to waste! I have had mine for six years and would never get rid of it. It is a little quirky, but when its running well, I enjoy it more in the twisties then my CB750. The crank seals can be hard to source and replace on these bikes. Parts in gen are hard to find and there is virtually no aftermarket for Titans.

Sundialmotosports is a pretty good forum, but I no longer frequent it due to the two viruses I contracted from it.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any parts.

kluts

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 02:46:19 pm »
Hi there. Not sure if you can punch the bore out to 750 from 500.  It's unlikely there is sufficient metal.  Not to worry!  Titans were and are successful hooligan bikes when ported and jetted properly, and with some new (off ebay) Toomey or Denco collector exhausts you'll be finding lots of power out of it.

Get the 500 rear swingarm.  The 250 may be inadequate unless the tubing is the same size and strength.  A new front end is a great addition, like a good set of forks, brakes and wheel from a mid-90's GSXR or the like.  A rear disk is not necessary.  But the rear end can use a good set of S&W's and/or Koni's.  You'll be surprised at what this bike can do when set up, and the conversation it will bring.

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 08:03:27 pm »
Yea, what Klutz said. Paul Miller sells rear shocks for around 100$. Night and day difference.

I don't think your going to be able to put 750 slugs in your bike. If your serious about performance get some Jemco expansion chambers.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 02:39:36 pm »
Here Sporky check out what those old Titans go for here in New Zealand. :D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=231722482

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 07:14:43 pm »
Here Sporky check out what those old Titans go for here in New Zealand.

But what's the conversion rate again??  ;) 

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 07:35:05 pm »
3890 USD......You guys should be holidaying in NZ......good value for money and a great place as well.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 08:06:34 pm »
3890 USD......You guys should be holidaying in NZ......good value for money and a great place as well.

Mick

I would, but the sheep scare me!  :o

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 01:25:09 pm »
I hate to give this update, but I'll need a new engine if this project is to go anywhere...  :( I'll be starting the restoration of my Goldwing this winter, hopefully it will be in a riding state for the summer. It was an inherited bike and I want to take it out west for my uncle; it was one of the last things he wanted to do, but he didn't get the chance to. I want to make that trip for him and visit my brother (and maybe some of you lot) while I'm at it.
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 01:29:25 pm »
Sorry to hear that...I was actually curious to see where this project was going to head.

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 06:35:28 pm »
Nice project! I have a '67 Suzuki T20. It would be nice to have a 500.

Good luck with the project!
How far along is your T20? I finished my 66 last year and have had a lot of fun ith it.
Fonda Honda

Offline patricke9

• Enthusiast
  • SOHC4 #2037
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 08:20:36 pm »
Sorry to hear that...I was actually curious to see where this project was going to head.

Me too, a buddy of mine picked up a '75 GT500 cheap for us to work on & sell to make some extra $$ to put into my CB550.  I hope to have some pictures & get it up for sale this weekend- It's been sitting in a garage since '81 & has 2600 miles on it.
"I did everything by the seat of my pants. That's why I got hurt so much."

Evel Knievel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1978 Kawasaki KZ650