Author Topic: PEACHES, my 750F  (Read 5328 times)

poomwah

PEACHES, my 750F
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:05:14 pm »
Hi, looks like a great forum so I thought I'd join. I picked up my 750 about a month ago, its a 76 super sport, that spent most of its life in a barn, it was a total mess when I got it. I named it Peaches, because for some odd reason, it says "Peaches" on the oil pressure gauge :\
here are a few pics

poomwah

Re: PEACHES, my 750F
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 12:05:53 pm »

poomwah

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 12:07:17 pm »

and although its hard to believe, it actually looked a LOT worse in person than it did in the pics :[

poomwah

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 12:08:27 pm »
its far from finished, but here is the most recent pic, the tail section is not attatched yet, and the tank is only in base coat, I have to decide on my stripes so I can get them on there and do my clear coat.

CaptainAmerica

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:35:14 pm »
Like that color.

miwsher035

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:04:07 pm »
It certainly has come a long way. Keep up the good work, from Australia

Yaquina

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:12:27 am »
WOW! What a difference between the two pictures!

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 08:40:39 am »
Nice job and welcome to the family!
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

poomwah

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:42:23 am »
thanks everybody :]
  I'll definitely keep everyone updated.  I wish I could get a better pic of the color.  Its not as orange as it looks on here, its more of a copper, and its a RIDICULOULSY heavy meatl flake. I can't get that to show up in pics either.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 05:23:08 am »
That engine has been out of that bike before and had some work done to it. The black cylinders give it away. Makes me wonder if you're pushing more than 736cc in that thing.

I like the direction you're going with it.  :)
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

poomwah

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 11:22:22 am »
well I was HOPING to have more pics today, but the pics would be depressing.  I decided against stripes, decided against two tone, so I cleared my tank today.  Put a VERY light tack coat on the tank, looked good, waited, put another coat on it, looked REALLY good.  another coat, looked GREAT!!!  figured one more coat and I'd be done for the day.  well I should have stopped, the last coat blistered :[

poomwah

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:39:14 pm »
well, here it is right now.

I figured I had nothing to lose at this time, so I loaded up the clear in hopes that it would soften up the wrinkled clear and smooth out a bit.  it kind of worked, theres still a little wrinkling and its really humid and I got serious orange peeling, but its a lot better than it was and HOPEFULLY I can wetsand it out
here's a better shot of the color, weird how the metallic doesn't show up much though.

poomwah

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 10:57:56 am »
oh my god, I went out to look at the bike today, and the wrinkling in the paint is BARELY noticable.  I'm pretty sure its just in the clear coat, and its VERY mild now, I'm almost positive it will wet sand out :]

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:56:30 am »
just found this thread. welcome and great job bringing another one back from the dead. i hope you kept the 'peaches' gauge! part of it's history and a head scratcher for sure.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

poomwah

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 03:31:08 pm »
thanks for the welcome and the compliment :]  and yes, I've GOT to keep the peaches guage.  I've got to get you guys a new pic of the gauge, the chrome on it cleaned up perfectly, and the yellow polished out of the face

poomwah

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 09:04:53 am »
got my left side foot peg relocated.  Instead of doing the newer style rear sets that I see a lot of people do, I went a different way.  To me, the newer style rear sets look out of place on the older bikes.
  I cut the "loop" off that had the mount for the original rear peg, shortened the loop accordingly, lowered it and welded it back on, then bolted the original front peg to it, it puts the foot peg just in front of the bolt that holds the sidestand rubber on.  For the shifter, I didnt' want the look of a linkage setup on this bike, so I just flipped it over.  Its functional, comfortable to shift (I know, the pattern is reversed, but I don't mind) and I think it looks great.  So I'm happy. But this was the EASY side, lets hope the other side goes half as well.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 09:13:41 am »
Welcome, and wow that is looking great, hope the other peg goes as easy or easier for you. Can't wait to see it all done and strutting its stuff out on the road. I always love seeing old bikes come back from almost junk status to become a good clean machine! Great work so far. Going with a different exhaust?
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 11:29:57 am »
good thinking! if i works for you that's that counts. pix!
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

poomwah

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 12:17:08 pm »
thanks again guys.
 as far as the exhaust, I really like the way the chrome 4 into 1 looks on there, and its still solid and will clean up nicely.  The muffler however has GOT to go, I have no idea yet what I'm replacing it with.  I'd LOVE to put a dunstall style on it, but they are VERY hard to find with a 2.5 inch inlet.

poomwah

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 11:51:43 am »
figured I'd throw a pic of the rear peg on here

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 01:20:46 pm »
Not sure the flipped lever will work, only reason being that if you push down on the selector it should put you into the higher gears and pushing up with put you into first. Think that is correct. Like the idea very much. I had this problem with attaching my rearset link. The lever was in the wrong spot pressing down (first) was putting me into a higher gear.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 01:24:15 pm »
Not sure the flipped lever will work, only reason being that if you push down on the selector it should put you into the higher gears and pushing up with put you into first. Think that is correct. Like the idea very much. I had this problem with attaching my rearset link. The lever was in the wrong spot pressing down (first) was putting me into a higher gear.

That's the "GP" pattern, accepted in racing circles.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

poomwah

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »
yeah, the shift pattern will be reversed, but given the choice between a linkage that doesn't look like it should be there and having to shift in a reverse pattern, I'll take the clean look and shift "backwards"  :]

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »
it would take some getting used too.

It amazes me what people would sacrifice for clean astetics. My ass begins to hurt after 20+ miles, but love the way the seat looks

poomwah

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 02:53:02 pm »
I too, like the way the seat looks, it will look even better after I finish the tail (its just sitting there, LOL)
as far as the shifter, its not that much of a sacrifice, I've ridden bikes like that before, its not as hard to make the adjustment as you would expect it to be.  just like driving a car set up for the strip that has a reverse pattern valve body in the transmission, you get used to it SURPRISINGLY quickly