Author Topic: My latest project...Bike in a Box  (Read 1067 times)

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
My latest project...Bike in a Box
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:42:06 am »
Ya ever do that?  You're like, "Man, my life is going so well without any stress or problems.  What can I do to fix that?"

I had that problem, and to alleviate it, I bought a bike in a box.  A 1971 Hodaka Super Rat 100cc motocrosser.  It was someone else's project and they ran out of gas on it.  All the bits are there, and the ones that aren't, are easy enough to get or fab.

Since it's FAR from perfect, and I don't wanna get upside-down on a Museum-restoration, it's gonna be made into a usable MX machine.  The plans include:

Fix cosmetics: fix surface rust and paint to factory fire-engine orange, replace all cables, grips and rubber bits

Lightening: plastic fenders, fuel tank and alloy rims in lieu of steel items should get the weight under 160 pounds, (though I will fix the chrome tank and mount it someday.  A Rat without a chrome tank just looks WRONG, IMO.)

Suspension fix up: modify the front forks for more travel and compliance and install Works Performance "rider-weight-matched" shocks on the rear

Engine:  Already reeded and equipped with a big carb and unmuffled expansion chamber, gonna port it slightly, and rebuild it.

When I'm done, I should have a 100 that can run with the 125s or even certain 150s on a tight track, thanks to a low weight and choice engine mods.

If anyone cares, I can post updates as the project proceeds.  Should be done by September if the engine work goes smoothly.

Now:

Someday:

http://www.geocities.com/nas51st/hodaka1970sr02.jpg

Offline kirkn

• Expert
Re: My latest project...Bike in a Box
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:06:38 pm »
Outstanding!!

If you haven't already, you need to hook up with http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/cgi-bin/forum2/YaBB.pl?board=news

and

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka/

Keep the photos coming!!

Kirk

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:48:26 pm »
Oh yeah, I'm on both groups.  Got a small fleet of Hodies and this one is gonna be awesome.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:51:12 pm »
GreedieGroovieGhoulie ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D one not enough :D :D :D :D

Good luck with the project. 8)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:06:04 pm »
Cool bikes GG!!!!...............I rode a few back in the early 70's.....good times!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......