Author Topic: Does this seem like a good deal reasonable  (Read 899 times)

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert I ain't no stinken
  • Expert
  • stupid gloripope
Does this seem like a good deal reasonable
« on: July 06, 2009, 07:30:39 am »
I got a quote from a guy on work I need done to the bike I just bought

IT needs a new rear tire 1608016 tube
a speedo cable
new fork seals.
inspection

He quoted me a little less than 500.00 for everything does this seem like a good deal. I am short on time and want to get this on the road and then learn the ins and outs of the bike from there.Here is his quote
The speedometer cable is $39.95
Tire is dunlop K177 the price is $155
Inspection is $25
Fork seals $210 installed (buying them, me taking them off and putting new ones one, includes oil)
Depending on if I have any problems with installing the other things, I would charge around $65 in labor
This brings a total to roughly $500.
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

Offline alltherightpills

• Expert
Re: Does this seem like a good deal reasonable
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:46:04 am »
What bike is this for?

Depending on your answer, it seems pretty steep.  I would have him change the tire because that's the most difficult thing on the list to do.  Speedo cables are less than 20 bucks and would take at most 20 minutes to change (probably more like 10.)  Fork seals were around 15 bucks for my 550 and took me a couple of hours to do because it was my first time changing them.  If I had to do them again, I could have the fork seals changed and the forks back on the bike with everything buttoned up in less than an hour.  I just changed the oil in my forks and the fork oil from the Honda dealership cost 6 bucks. 

But it's your money.  It'll probably be cheaper for you to buy all of the parts and then have him install them. 
78 550K
77 550K (in pieces)
71 500K0 (in pieces)

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:00:57 am »
I agree with alltherightpills.

You could knock it all out in a weekend minus the tire.  The fork seals are not as hard as it sounds and the speedo cable is attached by one phillips head screw and the collar on the back of the speedo itself.  I honestly don't think it would take you 2 minutes to change it, and that includes finding the screwdriver.   ;D

I guess he has to do the inspection and he tire, but you can do the rest.  Oh and look online, you might find the tire cheaper and just pay him to mount it.

CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:50:00 am »
1996 triumph adventurer
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 05:32:01 am »
and it is a 1608016 tubed tire.

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert
  • stupid gloripope
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:24:02 am »
new quote 475 and the guy picks the bike up since the rear tire is in sad shape

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
  • 4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 12:11:55 pm »
Sorry. Misread your first post.  Seems high to me.  Should be able to stay under 300 if you can do it yourself.  There are alot of shops that will mount your tire and balance for around $45 if you bring them the tire and wheel.  Guessing around $150 for the tire.  Cable around $30.  Fork seals & oil around $40.

Even if you have a shop change the fork seals, it should cost under $100.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:16:56 pm by OldRusty »