Author Topic: '80 CB650C Cruiser - Project Wraith - Another setback  (Read 44604 times)

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
'80 CB650C Cruiser - Project Wraith - Another setback
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »
Hey, all...been lurking for a while and I figured that it was time that got my project posted up here.  "Project" is really a bit ambitious of a name for it right now, as I'm still planning it all out, but that's how it goes.

I recently picked up a CB650C as a project, and my plan is to do a semi-bob on it.  Semi, because local laws won't let me go all out and still have it street legal.

Here's the frame, tank and seat.

I couldn't believe that this bike is 30 years old.  It belonged to a Shriner who dropped it off for a lube and tune after he'd dropped it.  As I was told, he passed away before paying the bill, so his widow traded the title to settle the tab.  It hasn't been ridden since.  My boss bought it off his friend (the mechanic) and tinkered with it a bit, but never got it back on the road.  (Lack of motivation and a bike license.)

Engine is still looking good.  Needs to be cleaned up a bit, but it was recently tuned  (notices the liquid gasket.)  The starter clutch needs to be replaced, and I have a replacement in with the box of parts.

Finally, there are the original 4-4 megaphones and the fenders.

Here are my plans for this project, subject to change when faced with reality:
  • Put is back together and make sure everything still works.
  • Install shortened solid struts to lower the back.
  • Replace the taillight and turn signals with something a bit sleeker looking
  • Replace the bench with a solo saddle.
  • Add mid-level apes and forward controls.
  • Swap the gas tank for something smaller.
  • Change paint scheme to something matte black and copper

EDIT: 09/06/2009 A lot of my ideas have been in flux for the above.  I'm leaning more towards a combo of the cafe and bob styles.  As I've worked, there are a lot of things that I'm liking the looks of and want to keep, as well as limitations I'm running in to with keeping it road legal.  Read on for the most up-to-date plans.
END EDIT

It's been a while since I've worked on an in-line 4 (last one was an '83 GS850GL) and my first bobber.  Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:57:13 am by The_Crippler »

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
Re: '80 CB650C Resto-Bob
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 06:41:16 pm »
Finally got a chance to do some more work today.  Since the engine is (in theory) already in serviced condition, I decided to put it back in the frame to make it easier to wheel outside for degrease/cleaning.  While waiting for my extra set of hands to arrive, I noticed some something behind one of the side-covers (sorry for the poor quality - didn't notice till upload):

Oops.  At some point in the past, it looks like the side cover got put on without clearance and neatly snipped one of the wires.

A quick bit of soldering and some shrink tube...

And then, just like new:

I started cleaning up bits of the engine to see how much grime was going to come off.  Not much that I can do until some degreasing.  But at least We got the engine back in the frame.  While working, I intended to take some pics while we were doing is - since I felt even my Clymer book lacked some needed documentation in this area - but I discovered why there are so few out there:  It's just a pain in the butt to stop and take a picture.  We found that, even with the removable frame section, we still had to remove the oil filter and housing and do some creative dance steps to get everything in.  But the end result was worth it:

One last thing:  The handy part about having you garage double as a workshop is that when you spill oil, you can just sweep some saw dust from one side to the other.   ;D

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
  • 4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:47:17 am »
The handy part about having you garage double as a workshop is that when you spill oil, you can just sweep some saw dust from one side to the other.   ;D

+1.  Can't wait to see the progress on this one.

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
Hey, Rusty - thanks.  I was beginning to wonder if anyone was even reading this.   ;)

I see from your sig that you've been through this before yourself.  I'm reading through your log, but if you have any other peculiarities you discovered with this beast along the way - shout it out.

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:54:45 am »
I bought mine last year and just starting tearing into it recently.  There are several good threads on the 650's here.   One of the more common issues with our 650's are charging problems.  Kit has a good thread on that one.

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:04:58 pm »
Hey, I hear you there.  That's what made it such a big "DOH!" moment when I found that clipped wire.  If there was one part of the bike that I knew didn't need any help with being damaged, it was the charging system...

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:01:39 pm »
Hey, all.  Got some more reassembly work done today.  My work focus was on the electrical system.  Between the Clymer manual and notes from the PO, putting everything back was fairly straight-forward.  (Except for the ignition cables, which were mislabeled from the factory, it seems...PO notes to the rescue.)

The gauges, idiot light assembly, bracket and mounting hardware were all separated, but were the easiest part of the day.

As you can see, there's some damage to the speedo, but the tac is fine:

There's a scrape on the side of the housing and a matching one on the headlight bucket.  Obviously, someone in the past dropped her.  The highway bar apparently did its job, as there is no damage to the engine housing.

There are only two snags that I hit.  One is the these two wires on the main harness from the generator.  Anyone know where they go?  Couldn't find them in the Clymer manual.

(Image from bikebandit.com)

The other issue is the connecting wires to the "winker" relay. I have the wires that seem to be for it (One white, one white and green) but I'm not sure which goes to which post.

(location: back side of the battery box.)

That's about it for today.  Electrical system is mostly installed.

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »
Have you checked the winker relay for any markings, a pos and neg maybe? If nothing else, plug it in and test, if it doesn't work, swap. The relays are dirt cheap at the auto shop, like $5.

You did your build differently than I did mine, I started with aesthetics, and completely blew my budget  ::) . I'm seriously hoping there isn't anything wrong with my engine. Oh well, it's all part of the adventure. I have a spare parts bike thats an 80 custom, let me know if you need any parts, I might have them (sorry, honestly not trying to advertise, just letting you know as sourcing parts can be a pain sometimes.) Looks like you have a good start though, keep the pics coming, and I know what you mean about stopping to take pics  ;)

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 05:48:13 pm »
Yeah, I know it's going to be a pain to put everything on when I know darn well that quite a lot of it is coming back off again and replaced - but as you hint at above, I'd hate to back myself into a monetary corner only find out that it doesn't work.  So, yeah, once it's fired and checked, then the really fun stuff starts.

Good point on the relay.  I didn't see any +/- markings on it, but I'll pull it out and take another look.  Otherwise, I'll take that 50/50 chance at it.  Any idea on those other wires?

And thanks for the parts offer.  I'll let you know.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 04:32:43 am »
Since they are green I'd almost be tempted to say they are grounds, but the red plastic on them makes me think maybe not. I've seen it in the headlight bucket where they use a bit of plastic to denote the wire as something else. Do you have a color wiring diagram, that might shed some light on it. I guess I can go home and pull mine off and see where those wires go. I'll be home in a few hours and post a pic if I find anything helpful.

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 05:42:48 am »
I'll be home in a few hours and post a pic if I find anything helpful.

That's a depressing damn thing to read first thing when I get in the office... ;)

But, no, I was not able to locate them on the diagram I have.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 06:19:20 am »
But, no, I was not able to locate them on the diagram I have.

If it's the black and white in the back of the manual then I am not surprised. If you haven't already, find a color diagram, it is a trillion times easier to read than the black and white, trust me  ;)

I'll be home in a few hours and post a pic if I find anything helpful.

That's a depressing damn thing to read first thing when I get in the office... ;)

If it makes you feel better I get to work at 5am, and worked all weekend  :) I like my job, but I'm fighting burnout, so I tend to take early days near my weekend a lot, keep waiting for the company to missenterpret that. Sadly it's about to come to an end as they are changing the attendance policy  >:(

Anyhow, I'll check that and post back with what I find.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:26:12 am »
I know I took a picture of the winker relay before I took it off my bike.  If Brandon doesn't find his I'll post my pic tonight when I get home from work.

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 09:53:00 am »
Great, thanks...don't worry about a picture, if your wire colors are the same - I just needed to know which went where.

What Brandon is snagging a picture of for me are the two mystery wires coming from the generator.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 11:19:15 am »
Great, thanks...don't worry about a picture, if your wire colors are the same - I just needed to know which went where.

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words, and my vocab is pretty limited so I'll let it do the talking  ;) I haven't gotten around to purttying up my engine so pardon the grease, the two wires go to the oil sending unit and some thingler up top above it (see, glad for the pic aren't ya  ;D )

Also, just for kicks threw in a pic of how to convert a car engine stand to a motorcycle stand. Thats just simple angle iron, nothing special. Before you drill the holes, be sure to center punch them otherwise the stupid bit wanders and your holes end up all over the place  >:(

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 11:28:08 am »
re those two wires, one is for the nuetral switch and the other is for your oil pressure sender.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 12:22:42 pm »
the two wires go to the oil sending unit and some thingler up top above it (see, glad for the pic aren't ya  ;D )

Excellent...I guessed right on the oil sending unit (though I didn't know that's what it was) because it has a matching red top to it.  Never would have guessed the other "thingler."

Also, just for kicks threw in a pic of how to convert a car engine stand to a motorcycle stand.

You know what makes that totally awesome?  I have that same engine stand and had been looking at it and thinking, "hmmmm..."

Now I'm armed with knowledge for next time I have an engine out of a frame.

Thanks for all the info, buddy.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 12:58:05 pm »
re those two wires, one is for the nuetral switch and the other is for your oil pressure sender.

Yay now I know the official term for it, but Thingler is funner to say  ;)

You know what makes that totally awesome?  I have that same engine stand and had been looking at it and thinking, "hmmmm..."

Now I'm armed with knowledge for next time I have an engine out of a frame.

I can't take credit for the design, a couple other members on here were nice enough to show pics of what they did. Just tossed it in there since you'll probably pull the engine again to do the body, at least you will if you are as insane as I am  ;D

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »

Insanity aside, Hopefully won't pull the engine (on this ride) again any time soon.  The only parts of the frame that need de-rusting and repainting are 1.) the swingarm (removable) and 2.) a few spots on the "spine" under the seat and tank.  Those ones, I'll probably just strip and touch up for protection's sake, but will never be seen by the outside world.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 02:24:12 pm »
I miss being able to ride, but I guess it'll just be that much sweeter when I am done. Are you gonna leave all the other paint alone?

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »
(That's why I have the Vulcan...no down time  ;D)

No, I am definitely changing the paint.  The tank and side covers are currently yellow, though it never got finished.  Still need clear coat and such, so it's easy for me to change.

Though, as a Pittsburgher, I bleed Black and Gold, I've never been a fan of yellow vehicles.  The plan is to black the tank and sides out, along with the fenders and exhaust.  The side panels of the engine, foot pegs, cam covers and (the new) gauges are going to be powder coated copper.  (Fenders may go copper...don't know yet.)

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 07:50:45 pm »

What Brandon is snagging a picture of for me are the two mystery wires coming from the generator.

If you're looking at the flasher relay like a U shape, the gray was on the left, green was on the bottom and white/green on the right.  My bike hasn't run yet, so I can't confirm it's wired correctly.  I should also add that the PO was an idiot so take that into consideration.  My avatar speaks for itself.

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:25 am »
I should also add that the PO was an idiot so take that into consideration.  My avatar speaks for itself.

I dunno, maybe he was just a misunderstood genius! The ability to make something run in a way it was never designed to, and defies conventional wisdom is a brilliance all it's own. Thankfully I'm pretty dumb, I like things to run the way they were meant to  ;)

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 08:08:31 am »
I dunno, maybe he was just a misunderstood genius!

Maybe he just liked the periodic "FZZZT!" sound.

Offline The_Crippler

• Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 05:25:43 pm »
Picked up some stuff today.  Oil, crush gaskets and such...oil filter is on order, and I'm picking up a battery in the morning (they had one in stock, but it wasn't prepped and charged yet.)  Plan is to test the electrical system tomorrow.