Author Topic: Who wants to quit smoking cigarettes? Lets quit together.  (Read 14055 times)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: Who wants to quit smoking cigarettes? Lets quit together.
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2011, 02:59:37 am »
Paulmac, aren't you supposed to be collaborating with Daniel Johns ....What are you doing here.... ;D ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »
I've been rolling my one cigs for a while now. It cut the cost and the amount I smoke. I still get drunk and want to chain smoke, but at least I have to take the time to roll between smokes. I just wish I could get the damn slim filters in the states. I have to order them online. Only filters I can get local are huge. I guess most people who use filters in rollies use a rolling machine. I also work for the uni here and it's a "smoke free" campus now, so I don't have a cig till 4:30-5pm. Cutting the first one of the day is supposed to help a lot. I have one in the morn sometimes, but not often. One thing is clear though: Beer/alcohol=give me a cig

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2011, 02:38:13 pm »
Beer/alcohol=give me a cig

Thats the hardest bit to get over. I use super slim filters, just to see how much less i was smoking i split a tailor made cigarette and used the tobacco to roll a smoke using the super slims and i was able to roll 2 smokes out of the tailor made {benson and hedges} , so by using the super slim filters i was halving my smoking which helped me cut down heaps. I haven't bought any smokes now for 6 months although i still smoke the odd one while having a beer.....DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE UP BEER....... ;D ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline DarcyCB400F

• Hot Shot
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2011, 03:22:17 pm »
I smoked for 20 years and quit four or five times during that time until I finally had had enough! Your motivation has to be your "reason". I quit for my reasons, you must have yours in order to quit -- whatever the reason(s) are --- you must have a compelling reason to reinforce your motivation. It's hard to be motivated without a real, personal and/or honest reason!!!! Someone elses reasons don't matter sh!t!

Nobody can tell you why "you" should quit... only the one looking at you in the mirror can tell you!!

"if you don't at first suceed, try try again if you have a motivating reason!"

p.s.
I have been 100% smoke free since Oct 18, 2008 and not once - NOT ONCE!! - have I cheated. Been tempted for sure, but never indulged.

1977 CJ360T
1977 CB400F
1980 CB900 Custom
1981 GS550L
1989 DR200R
1998 VT1100C2 ACE
1999 XR400R
2006 CR230F
2007 HD Road King

Offline Lenny55

• Hot Shot
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2011, 05:33:07 pm »
Tomorrow will be one month smoke free for me.  Again.
'73 CB500

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2011, 08:13:11 pm »
August 17 2009 not one falter.  I am a non-smoker.
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »
Good job DRC!! I think I've smoked maybe 3cigarettes since '97. Might be kinda hard on the teeth but Jolly Ranchers helped me get thru it..along with the occasional herbal remedy
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Inkscars

• grumpiness comparable to an
  • Old Timer
  • I have a box. I'm used to being ignored.
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »
I got sick twice in November. I haven't had a cigarette since Nov. 5th.
And who the hell named us; click-click-click-click-click-click

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2011, 08:39:11 am »
Awesome.  It'll make you feel even better than you do now (although I'm sure you are feeling pretty good these days)
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2011, 07:06:33 pm »
Way to go, Ink!  Almost had one watching the Pack win the Super Bowl, but I decided to black out on Jameson and meat instead.
"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2011, 10:17:51 pm »
Just remember, next time you feel that urge, You've ALREADY quit, you'd be starting again, and you really don't want to...
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2011, 10:37:10 am »
Lmao @ skonnie. How long has it been for you? I don't even find the urge to do it while drinking anymore. I get more antsy while we're sitting around shooting the #$%* at the parlour.

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:51 pm »
Its about month 15 for me.  Yeah, I don't get cravings anymore, except for the odd pang when I'm wrenching.  But mostly not.  I dream about smoking regularly, which is nice.  But there's no way I'm going through 3 weeks of nicotine withdrawal again. 
"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2011, 03:59:07 pm »
I dream about it alot too. Sigh. Luckily i spent 95% of my 3 weeks laid up in bed sick as hell. Didn't notice much after that.

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2011, 02:15:46 am »
ive never really been a smoker,in the eighties id buy a tin now and then of Dr pat and roll one now and again,i can still roll one in like four seconds!a few years ago i was taking a new guy out in a truck and he asked me as he was driving can i roll him a smoke,hes eyes popped out of his head when it was done already and i handed to him a perfect cylinder!cant remember the last time i had a smoke,we have a couple of older smokers at work,they smoke a lot,i wonder at all the money theyve spent could have been on a hobby? like beer or old hondas?i never really liked it either,,i just didnt get hooked,its a hard drug to quit,but its also the action of smoking,your hands arent busy if you dont smoke.

pamcopete

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2011, 04:45:52 am »
Step by Step

As was mentioned above, you have to want to quit. Not because your wife or kids tell you. It has to be something that you want to do. So, don't tell anyone you are quiting. That just puts pressure on you.

Try these steps:

1. Go out and buy 2 cartons of cigarettes.
2. Open both cartons and spread the packs around, in the house, in the car, at work etc. Tell yourself you can smoke anytime you want to. This step relieves the anxiety.
3. Set a time for your first cigarette, like 10 am coffee break time. Smoking with a cup of coffee is enjoyable, especially if it is your first ciggy of the day.
4. You are free to smoke all you want for the rest of the day after the first break.
5. Do #3 above for a while, then set a new first ciggy time, like lunchtime. Nothing is more enjoyable than that first ciggy after a meal.
6. Continue to set the first ciggy time later and later, but always associated with an enjoyable event, like meals or an after work beer. No set schedule to advance the time.
7. Eventually you will be having the first ciggy of the day late, like just before you go to bed or with the evening news or late show.
8. Finally, you will go a couple of days without a cigarette but not even notice.

9. It's important to reward yourself with the money you will save. Spend it on something just for you.

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2011, 05:13:30 am »
I quit 2 and a 1/2 years ago after a 35 year habit..... Pack and a half a day ( average )...
LOVED to smoke one after another, with beer, wrenching, reading.... ya know what I mean.
Two things helped me quit ( cold turkey ), 'Stop Smoking On Line ', just read it and 'Quitnet'.
I also did the multiplier and figured I had smoked
                                   :o :o :o :o  256,000 cigarettes  :o :o :o :o

Then I asked myself, how am I alive ??..... that did it for me, best of luck all you quitters  :)
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2019, 07:11:24 pm »
I finally did it; I haven't smoked a cigarette since 4-25-19. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2019, 07:36:26 pm »
Good on you Scottly,  keep up the good work.

For me smoking was easy, chewing was brutal. Had ALL my teeth pulled about a year and a half ago, haven't chewed since. Man was that hard.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2019, 03:43:50 am »
I love smoking, I had my first cigarette at age 9 (50 years ago) and by the time I was 14 I was a regular smoker. When I was a Sergeant in the Army I smoked up to 70 cigarettes per day as I worked two jobs and back then it was OK to smoke inside your office. I didn't smoke inside my house because my wife is a non smoker and I didn't want to smoke around the kids.

I had no problems giving them up, I'd just stop smoking for several years at a time, then one day I'd feel like one and buy a packet. Last time I smoked was January 2015, I gave up a couple of weeks after my father died, and I haven't had one since. I do still love the smell of cigarette smoke and I'll cross the road on purpose to walk past a group of "Social Lepers" (as smokers are treated here) smoking outside, just to get a whiff of their ciggie smoke. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline rocket johnny

• Hot Shot
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2019, 05:42:15 am »
i was a 2 pack a day smoker for about 50 yrs.  then got a bad chest x ray and decided it was time to quit .   i used the colo. quit line and they gave me patches and a quit coach .   both helped a lot . am at the 6 month point now .  not easy and still  think about ciggies every day .  but don't want to start again .    i should have quit years ago .

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2019, 11:09:53 am »
 My mom smoked, in the morning the kitchen air would be blue. Lots of days I'd skip breakfast so I didn't have to breath it.   Quit for someone around you
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2019, 02:09:40 pm »
Yep, there are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that love the smell and those who are repulsed by it. My dad smoked a pipe and I loved the smell of burning tobacco, and still do. At the same time, the smell of seafood (raw or cooked) makes me want to puke, and I'm allergic to shellfish, so if I eat any of that #$%*, its hospital time for me. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2019, 12:57:46 pm »
Apparently this school thinks only criminals vape and those things are ticking time bombs.

But I got 1500 problem free miles from mine and it taste like coffee cake.  6mg nicotine content that made leaving cigars behind pretty easy.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.
75 CB550F Bloo
03 DS650/720 Bombardier
76/78 XS750 Oscar the Grouch
07 FJR1300; Lydia
05 YFZ450/470 Stroker (sold)
73 Norton Commando 850 Cafe
99 Roadstar Silverado (rebuild)
Certified Harley Davidson Tech

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2019, 07:41:52 am »
I smoked for 30 years, stopped one day back in 2000.

Still stopped.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.