Author Topic: 500's tuners will cry  (Read 7106 times)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
500's tuners will cry
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:30:19 am »
Member HB-1fan has asked the wrong person to re-size and post this picture!

Guess that I'll be stalking him for the rest of his life now (even if i am located in Italy  :) )

This was on *bay seven years ago,

So? What would you give for this parts? I would have sold to slavery some important family members and in case they refused sell a kidney or two.

More to the point, it's a better pic than the scanned catalog image from Bwaller, so you can see that the CR manifolds have some downdraft but kink the carbs back to horizontal.

The pistons don't have too much crown, which makes perfect sense, you can get 13:1 with very little bump in them.

Not sure I'd use the ally rods unless I knew how many hours they've done.

The lightened crank is a jewel!

Been promised more photos with closeups....  

Thanks HB!

TG

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:32:08 am by turboguzzi »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 500's tuners will cry
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:01:59 am »
Ding ding ding, we've got a winner. Left nut territory for the middleweight guys.

Atta boy HB-1fan, lots of cool go fast stuff. Good old Pops.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:49:27 pm »
Let's see if HB keeps the flow of info about this amazing parts

one big question is if the 28.5 valves required new seats to be installed,

I am back to the garage to cut the valvel pockets in the new pistons.....

Seeya & Ciao

TG

Offline Rod

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:02:15 pm »
The pistons don't have too much crown, which makes perfect sense, you can get 13:1 with very little bump in them.

Is it be possible to weld up piston crowns and mill to a similar profile as the Yoshi pistons? I seem to recollect hearing that provided you match the silicon content etc this can be done but I've never found anyone who has actually seen/had it done.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 03:42:11 pm »
not a recomended practice,

many chances to distort the piston, you'll add weight and in anycase you'll have to end up machinig each crown.

add paying for quite a few hours of a professional welder's time....

if you are talking sepecifically about a hot 500 for the street, then XL125 pistons have plenty of bump for high CR, you will actually need to reduce the crown a bit.

for my first race engine build I used stock pistons and milled the block by 1.6mm and it was a very very nice engine, the stock honda pistons gave a lot less trouble than the fancy aftermarket ones I used the season after.

TG

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:48:54 pm »
That manifold is... beautiful  :'(
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:10:33 pm »
Thanks TG for posting the pics!
 Did you get the other ones I sent? I will take some more soon of the interior. This stuff did come from Mark Mc grew at M3. Since then I have collected enough POPS parts to build a 2nd engine (extra cam, pistons, rings, valves, springs, gaskets. I have 3 low mile engines. One is a box of low mile parts, because I gutted it to be a frame fixture, dummy block.
 Anyway, the POPS parts were so reliable because when you look at them you can tell they were made by Honda or ART. The pistons look like Honda with his name cast into them. Although they probably can't keep up with what guys are doing to this motor now with all the hybrid stuff, but we all know they were still there at the finish line, back in the day. My goal is to pay tribute to POPS and build a frame he would have been proud of and maybe put his name on the license plate and get it to pass tech inspection at Daytona once a year. And yes, TG your welcome to come over and be the pilot.
 Does anyone out there have the Tony Foale software. I have the original book, but would love a copy of the new one on disc!

HB
"If you always expect the worst, you can never be dissappointed, only surprised"

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:32:04 am »
Hei HB

didnt got any pics and seemingly you didn't get my reply either but frigging AOL/AIM mail is down

So? what did you think about the frame? http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=49731.0

Mark manages indeed to find some really cool stuff, just a few months ago he had a full 500 Egli racer on sale.....

it went for 8K $ , wonder if it's a sohc4 memeber who got it.

here's the copy and some pics:

Honda CB500 CR750 Yoshimura Egli Road Racer AHRMA Cafe
Vehicle Description
   What you are bidding on is a very rare Elgi framed, Pops Yoshimura CB500 Honda SOHC road racer. This bike was built and constructed with only the best componets and of the highest quality of workmanship found anywhere. Reconstructed by M3 Racing Team and last raced at Mid Ohio Sports car Course in 2004. Frame and swingarm are nickel plated, chrome moly tubing. Fuel tank is hand made from aluminum with front fender and seat body made from glass fiber. Paint done by pro painter, Johnny "the Jet" Staska. Wheels are Morris magnesium. Front discs are lightened with REAL Lockheed calipers. Rear disc is special aluminum piece with plasma coating by Harry Hunt. Rear caliper is agian...Lockheed. Pipe is REAL Pops Yoshimura hand bent by Pop's himself back in the day. Carbs are Mikuni smoothbore. Engine is a complete Pop's Yoshimura piece with special porting, lightened valves, HD springs with Ti retainers, Yoshimura pistons with Yoshimura Super rods and Pop's Yoshimura lightened and balanced crank. Ignition is by small battery with Dyna ignition and super duty coils by Accel. The bike is "pickled" ready for museum or a place in your living room. Could be made race ready without much attention. Shipping is to be done by winner, but I might be able to deliver to Mpls.... if I am paid for fuel and time devoted to trip.

Offline mec

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 02:54:11 am »

Is it be possible to weld up piston crowns and mill to a similar profile as the Yoshi pistons? I seem to recollect hearing that provided you match the silicon content etc this can be done but I've never found anyone who has actually seen/had it done.

a friend of mine did this some years ago (in the 80ies?). he ordered racing pistons for his gsxr750. unfortunately the package arrieved way too late. therefore he decided to weld up the pistons for high compression to be ready for the next race. then he milled the crowns to fit the valves etc..
the moment i have seen this work, i asked him if he is gone crazy, pistons are high precisions parts. he answered: it will work.
i had the "pleasure" to assemble the engine. first issue was to make fit the piston pins. they wont go into the piston hole. my friend squeezed the pistons a little bit and the rest was done by sandingpaper.
best of all: the engine was a rocket and run flawless a complete racing season.

many years later, 4 month ago, i welded a piston for a xl500 for a another friend of mine. engine runs fine.

mec
Honda Monkey
Takeuchi TB 070
Massey Ferguson

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 05:33:59 am »
MEC, sounds like you were having fun!

;-)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 07:33:06 am »
found better pics to weep on

who owns it now?

MEC, how about  a smaller version of yours?

TG

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 09:39:21 am »
That is very tastefully done. The seat/tail/cowling is something I could use.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:12:13 am by bwaller »

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 09:45:02 am »
If you can show us Pops porting,take close up of intakes,I wish I had a picture of mine,when I tear it down I will post,Bwaller you can see RSC intakes on Drew's thread of bike build.Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 10:11:50 am »
Yea I caught those in the Yosh cataloque Bill after we spoke last. I didn't remember those being offered.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 10:49:10 am »
That is very tastefully done. The seat/tail/cowling is something I could use.  ::)

Hey Brent,

Just give a shout. They are not expensive and need a little attention but they look allright. If only that shipping.........

Regards, Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 11:03:34 am »
hei, bill

can you point me towards that build thread? couldnt find it.

funny how this develops.....

when I started doing my race motor three years ago, i thought that little was done for those 500's,

now it turns out that there was Yoshi stuff, super rods, RSC parts and of course the amazing CB500R, have you seen it bill? HB?

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=37074.0

next thing it will turn out that they were raced also in 500 GP and we are all set....

Rob, have to say that it looks better painted... :-)

Cheers

TG

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 11:22:33 am »
Hey TG,

You are absolutely right. The man who makes them is a very nice guy, but his products are.......................... just remembered the seat when Brent talked about them. But a good painter will do the trick.

Cheers, Rob

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 11:32:04 am »
how are the prices?

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 11:49:47 am »
how are the prices?

Quite low, have to ask the man. Have to come back on that.

Rob

PS. Just mailed the man.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:55:20 am by voxonda »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 12:27:48 pm »
Thanks Rob, I'll stand by for a price too. I thought I might toggle some old thing out of aluminum.  ;)

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 01:37:41 pm »
I remember talking to a gentleman down under a few years ago who had a bussiness making dunstall looking parts. He had a product for 500 and 750 hondas that fit over the stock tank. It was a one piece unit, like a tracy body. I can't find the contact info, maybe terry or someone else down there knows of him. They were one piece units and quite nice. Cheap enough I was going to buy 3 to make the shipping worth it. They could stack in the same lenght box.
 TG, I did get the 500 pics and I really do like that frame.

HB
"If you always expect the worst, you can never be dissappointed, only surprised"

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:09 pm »
Brent,

any idea what is the build thread that bill was reffering to?

HB,

Good, thought you'd like it :-)

BTW the bike on the background has a true bimota tank and seat kit on a stock frame.

Try sending the manifold pics, one pic per email....

cheers

TG

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 03:45:59 pm »
Brent,

any idea what is the build thread that bill was reffering to?

Actually no. I thought he was referring to the pics you posted.

Bill can you fill us in or does anyone know where to find Drews build?

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 10:24:00 pm »
I re-sent the pics via gmail, should work.
 Anyone heard of the man I mentioned in Australia that makes the tank cover bodies?
 I seen that Egli when it was on Ebay, I drooled, too. I did not know there were RSC parts for the 500/4!!!!  KOS would know>

HB

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 11:00:39 pm »
hei HB

I've seen the same eaby scan in my email box, but not the new pics.

if you shoot, set the camera for low rez so the files are smaller.

I will ask bellcow directly about those RSC parts

TG

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 05:54:33 am »
TG,Drew ,owner of bike stopped by last nite,I took a pic of old Yosh price list,shows 5 and 6 speed CR boxes,I am pretty sure RSC made them.Damn I wish I had bought that 6 spd back then,I have an orginal some use Yosh CR box for 750.He is supposed to post the pics this morning.Gotta go get !5 mm circlips,yeah no cyl install last nite,have had all in stock except them damn clips,yeah I ordered more than 4.You guys Rock!!,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 09:53:12 am »
how are the prices?

Quite low, have to ask the man. Have to come back on that.

Rob

PS. Just mailed the man.

He just mailed me back, €115,- makes $162,- ex shipping. Well now you know.

Rob

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 06:19:22 pm »
TG - this is what I was talking about earlier regrading transboxes that are RSC produced -

BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline kayaker43

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 06:57:51 pm »
Just found this thread late,.. good find HB1. I heard about the Yosh treasure hunt well after it happened. Luck for you I didn't know about the auction, I'm not very rational when it comes to these things,.. might have bid some unreasonable amount and regretted it later :o

I'm interested in documenting things for others so all that Yoshimura technology doesn't go away.

One thought was to make silicone castings of the port shapes, then have them scanned and digitized for reference. I have one of their ported heads but it may not have gotten the attention yours did. It would be interesting to compare. Pistons and cams can be copied, I started a thread about their CR trans kits, so at least we'll know the ratios. I have a pipe for reference and some super rods, cams pistons etc too..

We should work together to measure parts and compile all info into one location. Can you document the lightened crank before it gets installed? I spend winters in FL and you PM'd me last year about getting together around bike week but I dropped the ball and forgot about it. I'll call you around the first of the year and coordinate something this time. Maybe I can bring some parts to compare. I won't tell any of those other vultures where you live ;D

It sure would be neat to have a full on Yosh motor with everything they sold. You have the best collection so far of genuine stuff. The crank and head are the real jewels, seems my CR gearboxes are rare too. Oh yeah, maybe we can cast some patterns off those manifolds too. I can bring casting supplies.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 07:13:27 pm »
I was a parts mgr in 1981 and Greg Tysor (Tucker/Rocky rep was selling Yosh NOS A an B grinds,B=TT,Price was $20.00,I bought 2 TT's and one A grind.I may still have one NOS TT,I don't think we will find them @ that price again!!Like the idea of compiling Pops info,have a good bit of it.Have 69 sandcast cases for CB750#1579,will trade for Hot rod 750 or 500/550 stuff.Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook