Author Topic: CB650...Might be makin' a chopper, might not.  (Read 2117 times)

T-Bone

CB650...Might be makin' a chopper, might not.
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:20:41 am »
It all started with finally having the time, money, and availability to buy a bike after 13 years of being without.  I was looking for a bike under $1000.00 that I would feel bad about taring apart when I found my 650.  When this endeavour started, I was looking to build a chopper (old school - late '60's, early '70's, not one of those new hand jobs rolling on a 360 rear wheel).  Well, the look of the bike is so clean that I feel bad about butchering her, so I may end up leaving her as stock as possible with the addition of drag bars and forward controls.  Also planning on a 4 into 1 exhaust system.

However, despite her appearances, time affects everything.  30 years old and only 13,000 miles on her, she hasn't even really stretched her legs yet.

Check it out.

First off, look at that air filter.  Factory original from 30 years ago.  The photo doesn't do justice to how clogged and choked it was when I tore it out.  Obviously that was replaced with a K&N filter.  Eventually I want to get rid of the stock air box and put in four individual air filters attached right to the carbs.

A by-product of poor air flow is all the carbon fouling on the spark plugs.  They needed a good cleaning despite being only a year old (accourding to the previous own).  Also, one of the plugs wasn't firing.  Easily fixed by cutting back the spark plug wire where it connects to the resistor cap.

After pulling the carbs out you can see the butterflies are sitting at an odd angle, and they didn't really move too much from this position.  They were gummed up a little and needed a good cleaning out.

After being cleaned out you can see the butterflies are sitting in position they're supposed to and they have their full range of travel back.  Also looks a little better.

Of course, when we drained the fuel out of the carbs (and tank) we found the gas was this lovely shade of brown.

And why is it brown, you ask?

TA-DA!!!

Big ass chunks of rust floating around in the tank.  Gotta call Elizabeth Radiator today and see if they can re-seal it for me.  If not, time to get a new tank.

rfehrenb

Re: CB650...Might be makin' a chopper, might not.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:57:41 am »
I was really satisfied with the results I had with POR-15. It can be a little messy to deal with but the finish is hard as a rock. :)

T-Bone

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:16:26 pm »
I was really satisfied with the results I had with POR-15. It can be a little messy to deal with but the finish is hard as a rock. :)

Actually I just got off the phone with Elizabeth Radiator and he said there wouldn't be any trouble salvaging it.  For $50 he seals the tank back up guarantees his work.  He's only about 20 minutes away from where I work here in PA, and from what I hear he's the guy on the East coast to send your tank to.  I found him when I was on the home page of a custom bike shop in Miami Florida.

Downside; he normally takes roughly a week to do the tank, however this weekend he's cutting out (of state) early for the big bike show/rally in Columbus.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:50:24 pm by T-Bone »

Offline MosquitoJones

• how do i ried biek? and how did I become an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 03:04:17 pm »
After pulling the carbs out you can see the butterflies are sitting at an odd angle, and they didn't really move too much from this position.  They were gummed up a little and needed a good cleaning out.

Hey, look at those smiley faces! Your carbs are happy to be receiving a cleaning.
'82 CB650, 65 CP77 Superhawk in chunks

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 04:08:10 pm »
You're right, they do!

Personally I was laughing about the cigarette butts in the bucket of gasoline  :o ;D

Keep us posted T-Bone!

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

T-Bone

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:54:17 am »
You're right, they do!

Personally I was laughing about the cigarette butts in the bucket of gasoline  :o ;D

Keep us posted T-Bone!

mystic_1

Hey now...Mythbusters proved that cigarettes don't burn hot enough to light gas fumes!