Author Topic: new master cylinders  (Read 987 times)

Offline b82ta

• Hot Shot
new master cylinders
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:36:50 pm »
So, I did some searching and couldn't come up with exactly the answer I was looking for.  What I'm wondering about is the feasibility of using brake master cylinders off of newer bikes. ie 2000 cbr with a stock '78F brake setup.  Would there be any sort of drawbacks? Advantages? The only thing I can think of would be whether or not the lines connect to the master cylinders.  I also realize that piston diameter makes a difference in feel and stopping power.  I am pretty much just curious because I can get a pair of used master cylinders, in working condition, for about what I would have in a rebuild of the stock components. 

Thanks

Offline honda750k

• Enthusiast
Re: new master cylinders
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55:04 pm »
I used one off an SV650 one time on an old 550K.  it worked pretty well, if not BETTER than stock. 

but I also had a drum rear, so I cant say how it'd work there. but brake hoses on bikes are pretty universal.  the difference is in the master cylinder configuration, or the piston size inside the master usually.
These bikes dont die, they hibernate until the right person wakes them up again.

Offline karmasic

• pull-a-part boy
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:46:39 am »
i have had fantastic success with my 1998 cbr master cylinder on my cb550. some times the big pistons make the break feel wooden like with my hayabusa master cylinder on my cb500. but there are ways to make it feel good again.

i will always go current as easily possible on my brakes. Steel lines, no pressure switch, and modern master cylinder, and cross drilled rotors. all that made my cb550 stop like a champ.

Offline Chester345

• will someday be an...
  • Expert
  • 76 CB750F
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:01:07 am »

I have a 2002 cbr954rr master cyl, reservoir and pegs on mine, bought a new brake line from Z1 (excellent business) and 2 new banjo fittings and mated it right up.

Works awesome.