Author Topic: Radiator Restoration - Water Cooling  (Read 1935 times)

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
Radiator Restoration - Water Cooling
« on: August 02, 2009, 06:59:28 pm »
Guys, I'm quite irritated. I've been working on a 1974 GT750 Suzuki water baffalo for about 9 months. The delay has been finding a decent set of factory pipes that could be cleaned and then chromed. The 1974 is a 1-year only design and my quest for NOS seems impossible at any price.

I finally got a nice set cleaned and repaired from the 3 sets I'd purchased. Those have come back from the plater and look 90% satisfactory. I will keep looking, but I decided it was time to start riding and enjoying this bike - I can keep my eyes open for those pipes while making smoke!

Well, not so fast. Today while installing the pipes and getting the oil pump primed for the first start, I look up and see white residue and green fluid on what was supposed to be a perfect radiator. It is the original that I tokk hours to straighten every fin and had the local shop clean by acid boiling and then pressure testing. He knows I do restorations and pay extra for the extra time and care not to damage my pipes and this radiator. I then washed that radiator with hot soappy water and rinsed until perfectly clean. When dry, I applied 2 coats of Eastwood's Epoxy Gloss Black pait - powdercoat would insulate and that's not good.

With 0 pressure this darn radiator is leaking in 2 places. He will never, never get another piece to do for me. Do any of you know and have tried a restoration shop for radiators? I don't want a simple repair, I want a full restore - glossy and perfect.

Here is what was not supposed to leak - certainly not after all of the work, time, and money I put into it.

Thanks,
Gordon

Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
Re: Radiator Restoration - Water Cooling
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 05:09:46 am »
the only way i know how to fix a leaky radiator is to see exactly what tubes are leaking, remove the tanks and block off just the tubes that are leaking. the problem with that is the reduced cooling from having those tubes blocked off.once again Gordon, that motor is prettier than any piece of jewelery i've ever seen.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:56:51 pm »
A complete teardown and rebuild replacing the broken stuff with new is going to be COSTLY.

Someone would have to have the oven required to melt the flux or solder or whatever they used at the time.... then replace everything.... then bake it all back together.

I would do a nationwide search for that. Talk to them on the phone, then make sure you are specific that it HAS to be original looking. I.e same metals and such..

You'd be surprised how many rad repair shops just replace the aluminum tubes with copper or brass and vice versa.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:16 pm »

Here is what was not supposed to leak - certainly not after all of the work, time, and money I put into it.

I feel your pain.  The exact thing happened to me on my GPW restoration on first start up.  The radiator is going back to the shop this week to give them a chance to get it right.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:41:45 am »
I think the problem you have with that one is that its an alluminium radiator and very few repairers can deal with them, I have used Devcon in the past but it tends to not be pretty and having seen your resto's i dont think you would be happy!! all i can suggest is another rad mate
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!