Author Topic: Fuel Flowing from Carb Drain Lines?  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Fuel Flowing from Carb Drain Lines?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 08:30:42 pm »
I'm not sure but the 82 model CB650 I owned had a set of very fine petrol filter screens under the float valves, (they are the wee pointy things that the floats (brown square things) are attached to) once you remove the pivot pin (axle) you can lift away the floats and just check if there is a set of screens in there.
I would guess that as your bike sat for 5 years with gas in it, the float valves got so used to being in one place and with a build up of crystals and petro-chemicals they need a decent clean, just clean the with a clean rag and push the wee tips at the end in and out a few times to make sure the tiny springs are not stuck.
After that I can't see why all your carbs would leak at all, the float height is probably correct as when you got the bike it wasn't spewing gas out of them eh?
Once you drained them and added new gas you probably created a whole new set of problems. :D

Edit: Don't under any circumstances play with or try to remove the grey slotted screws at the ends of the bowls, they are set when tuned and if you play with them you will need a bit more help from the forum.
You have the one's that were made specifically to be "eco-friendly" so the nice people at Honda fitted them with a very small range of adjustment so you could not enrichen them and pollute the earth. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:35:09 pm by Hush »
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Fuel Flowing from Carb Drain Lines?
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »
Just a tip, the way your photo has the carbs they are #1 #2 #3 #4 and only #2 has the booster attachment on it so don't try fitting it to any of the other carbs.
You can dissasemble that booster as well if you want, inside you will find a spring and rubberised plunger system, note how it comes apart and especially where the spring goes, (I put spring on wrong side of diaphram and bike did not like it).
Also remember to "aim" the wee drain screws out to the sides, #1 #2 should face towards left and #3 and #4 should face out towards the right side of the bike as you sit on it.
This will help when you go to drain the carbs in the future and can't understand why the screws are unreachable. ;)
Something I would definately do if you are going to keep this bike is replace the stock carb bowl screws with Allen/hex key screws, so much easier to remove with an allen key when the carbs are back on and you need to access say just one carb float/jet.....OK I'll leave you alone now... :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!