Author Topic: Drawing for Gordon's Engine Stand Adapters  (Read 10236 times)

Offline michrobi

• Goldenrod blew a 5" hole out the front with a
  • Hot Shot
  • On a neverending quest for more garage space
Drawing for Gordon's Engine Stand Adapters
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:36:27 pm »
I have been asked about the engine stand adapters I used in my CB750 rebuild thread three times now in PMs. I searched for the post that Gordon explained them in, but came up with nothing. I guess I was just lucky when I stumbled on the design specs, so I scanned a pretty decent drawing of the adapter for anyone that needs it in the future. At the time of this post, Home Depot carries both the #8 bolts and the 1/4" steel stock.

You need 4 of these.

These work to modify a standard engine stand to mount a CB case or any opposing bolt type engine. I used one of Harbor Freight's 1000 lb. stands. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32916

You will need four of these adapters and a few 1" and 1/2" spacers to slide on the engine mount bolts depending on what size of gap you end up with. It will vary depending on the engine you are working with.

If you don't know what I mean about the spacers, just don't worry about it. When you go to tighten the case to the mount you'll say "oh, I need a couple spacers here" and it will be obvious what they're needed for.

:)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:43:07 pm by michrobi »
-Mike

'78 CB750F All stock except for the powerplant. Jived it off my Dad in the spring of '94. He had it since 1980 and it's the first bike I ever rode on.

Current project: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67756

How's them SOHC4 patches coming?

Offline Hinz

• Enthusiast
Re: Drawing for Gordon's Engine Stand Adapters
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:33:53 pm »
Cool idea!

If you don't have a welder, you can use regular angle iron, some threaded rod and some nuts an bolts.  I stole the idea from another SOHC member but not sure who.

1976 CB750K
Has learned so far that..."complete" gaskets are never complete no matter where you get them, VHT Silver Case Paint is just as durable as painting your motor with chalk and cheap tire irons used with rim protectors are useless on 30 year old tires.

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:02:04 am »
very cool.
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Mattle78F2

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 01:26:31 pm »
Nice! What size angle iron and thickness would you use cause I have a lot of scrap angle laying around the garage?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:41:35 pm »
Cool idea!

If you don't have a welder, you can use regular angle iron, some threaded rod and some nuts an bolts.  I stole the idea from another SOHC member but not sure who.

That is nice, and I like the fact that you can still use it as a car engine stand once your bike build is done. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:08:50 pm »
Unistrut makes an angle clip with the holes already in it. Fastenal or an Electrical supply house should have them. They are plenty heavy too.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline geigeb

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:27:18 am »

Guess I should have read this thread ahead of time... This is what I came up with. Same idea. 7/16 threaded rid fits perfectly.