Author Topic: So tell me about the 1980 CB 750F  (Read 1386 times)

Offline mtr

So tell me about the 1980 CB 750F
« on: August 01, 2009, 05:24:20 pm »
I'm going to look at a 1980 CB 750F sometime this week and I'd like to hear from some folks who have experience with the bike. Anything you can add about general maintenance or performance would be greatly appreciated. I also wouldn't mind some pointers on things to keep an eye out for when I see the bike. I've owned a 77 550F for a little over a year now, so any comparisons between the two would be helpful.
77 550F / 80 750F

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
Re: So tell me about the 1980 CB 750F
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:47:20 pm »
I like them better than 900.
Rear cam chain adjusted (under carbs) sometimes sticks as people forget to actually use it.
Best to check it's working when cam cover is off for valve adjustment.
 Generator brushes last pretty good as long as battery hasn't been allowed to go flat too often.
 Ignitors fail if ignition is left on, (mount to an alloy plate, helps a bit)

cant think of anything else offhand but I'm sure someone else will tell you of any other problems?
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:49:53 am »
...DOHC..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:27:00 am »
common faults

reg/rec fails
generator brushes
cam chain tensioner
early ones should have been recalled for an oil path mod or the sprocket seal blows out
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Caminokid

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 06:26:44 pm »
I was never a big fan of the 79 and up 750's. They are good bikes. I guess its the style of the tank and they seemed to all look alike after 78.
God created man...Winchester and a baseball bat made then equal. Evel Knievel

Offline mtr

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:50:12 pm »
...DOHC..

...Yes...

Saw the bike today. ~30k, owned by the same guy for 20 years, not ridden regularly in about two. His wife made him put it away when he dropped it and hurt his leg pretty bad. The only noticeable damage from the drop is a rear signal that's currently taped into place -- an easy fix. Fairly clean body and engine, faded paint on tank and plastic, chipped paint on engine (black). Overall it's in great condition. New tires, cranks on the first push of the button, no signs of oil leaks, all service handled by local Honda shop. I didn't get to ride as I didn't have my helmet, but I'll be back in the next few days for that. The only problem that jumped out at me was that it idled pretty high, somewhere north of 2k. I figure (hope) that can be easily adjusted with the screw.

I also didn't take any pictures, but I'll have some in a few days. Here's the pic from the CL ad:

Yeah, that seat is hideous (but comfortable!) and I don't think the exhaust is stock, maybe someone can confirm or deny. The carbs looked strange, too; I'll get pictures of those.

All in all, seems like it might be a pretty solid bike. Guy was asking $1100, I offered $900 and he didn't even try to negotiate. He just said that works for him. I think I could have probably talked him down another $100 or so, but $900 is fine by me if it's as good as my first impression.

I was never a big fan of the 79 and up 750's. They are good bikes. I guess its the style of the tank and they seemed to all look alike after 78.

Yeah, no doubt. I certainly prefer the look of the 70s SOHCs, but this style has grown on me over the past year or so. It is kind of a shame, though, that it stayed the same for so long. My brother had a 92 Nighthawk 250 that look identical to this bike (though with much less muscle underneath, of course). I'm pretty sure those little Hawks stayed the exact same right up until they were discontinued a few years ago. I guess if it's not broke, you know?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:57:38 pm by mtr »
77 550F / 80 750F