Author Topic: 76 SS drive chain - i give up!  (Read 3281 times)

srook

Re: 76 SS drive chain - i give up!
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 05:20:11 pm »
Regarding drive shafts on high performance bikes: The main reason they are not used on sport bikes is something called shaft effect.  Essentially when power is applied the drive shaft wants to lift the rear of the motorcycle stiffening the rear suspension.  The result of shaft effect is vague handling which probably wouldn't be noticeable on the street but would become an issue on the racetrack.
Scott

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 06:54:53 pm »
Regarding drive shafts on high performance bikes: The main reason they are not used on sport bikes is something called shaft effect.  Essentially when power is applied the drive shaft wants to lift the rear of the motorcycle stiffening the rear suspension.  The result of shaft effect is vague handling which probably wouldn't be noticeable on the street but would become an issue on the racetrack.
Scott

I can't deny that shaft effect is there, it has a shaft and it has an effect. But I'll tell you its not an issue on modern bikes. THe technology of the suspensions and the shafts themselves has improved to the point where, had you never ridden a shaft drive high performance bike, and got on one after a chain drive bike, only the high end experts would know the difference.

I do rememeber riding a friends late 60s BMW in the early 70s and I know of what you speak. But that was a long time ago.

BMW makes some hellaciously fast and powerful shaft drive sports bikes.

And back years ago, Reg Pridmore was very sucessful roadracing BMWs.

They are slightly heavier, and you can't change the ratio. That's about all.

You did qualify it by saying not noticeable on the street but an issue on the track. That argument can be made, still I'd say if someone wanted to race a modern shaftie, it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm just trying to dispel the notion here that some may have that a driveshaft is a automatic handicap. By today's standards its not. Its different, true, but not a handicap.

Today's modern GoldWing would stomp on most of what we consider sporty, like a hot CB750.  Its a handful, but they have amazing performance.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 07:14:49 pm »
I have ridden two shaft driven bikes recently:

One friends BMW Rockster and another friends 01 V-Max.

When I throw it into the Rockster, I can feel the rear of the bike shift just a bit.  Not so with the V-Max, which is considerably more powerful.  My Rockster owning friend states the shift I feel is the shaft

I know I'm encouraging a hijack, but since we're on the subject, any thoughts?
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 08:17:45 pm »
it's called shaft jack...

some people notice it in the big flat twin BMW. others in the v-twin japanese bikes.

used to be very common in the older yamaha bikes...

ie. XS750/850 Virago/xs1100 things like that.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name