Author Topic: Tire brand reccomendations  (Read 7317 times)

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
Tire brand reccomendations
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »
I currently have Cheng Shin tire on my 1978 CB550K. I want to replace the tires. I just don't feel comfortable with the Cheng Shin tires. People tell me they are decent tires, but I just don't want them.

I have never heard of IRC tires until last week. I have spoke to some people at work and they spoke positive about IRC tires.

Which would you pick?

IRC GS-11
Michelin Macadam M50

Both are priced very affordable. Michelin Tires, are well, Michelin. IRC Tires are something I never heard of, but people spoke very possible about them.

Your thoughts or recommendations?

Tom

1978 CB550K

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Re: Tire brand reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:48:27 pm »
I'm cheap, so unless the Cheng Shins are old and hardened, I'd leave them on there until they are worn out.

What kind of riding are you doing on the bike?  Just casual use, with not a whole lot of miles over the year?  Or commuting every day?  Or something in between?  Do you ride aggressively and need a lot of stick?  Or are you more concerned with getting a lot of miles out of a tire?
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56:52 pm »
The Cheng Shin tires are about 1 year old. I just don't feel comfortable with them. Maybe it is psychological, or what not, but I had one on a scooter and after a short period, they were bald and rode like crap. I put Michelins on my scooter and the ride is so much better it shocked me. The OE Scooter tires lasted 5,000 miles, but the Cheng Chin rear was lucky to go 1,000 miles.

I ride the motorcycle to and from work and on some back roads. I am not concerned about longevity as much as I am safety. Of course, this is not to say that I want a tire that will last 100 miles, but stick like glue. I want a tire that will be safe, comfortable to ride, nice looking, and wear nicely while providing decent traction.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:13:54 pm »
I use and have been recommending the Metzler 3.25-19 (Lazertec) fronts and 4.00x18 rears (ME77, I think) for the Cb550.

You'll probably have to order them at your tire shop.  Demand for the older sizes is low so they probably aren't in stock.  So, they will do their best to sell you whatever metric they have in stock.  It's worth the wait for the right tire on the 550.  The reward is good traction, neutral handling, and good, even tread wear.

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:21:13 pm »
It has been decades since I've run a Cheng Shin on a street bike, but I can understand what you are saying about confidence in a tire.  If they don't feel right to you, you might experiment a little with tire pressures.  But if you just don't have confidence in Cheng Shins in general, then the only cure is to get rid of them.  Sorry, I don't have any experience with the two tires you mentioned, but I know people who have run the Macadams and were satisfied.  I run Metzelers on my 750, long ago settling on the Lazer front (now Lazertec) and ME88 Marathon rear.  They meet all the requirements you listed.  I can't tell you how they'd work on your 550.  If Two Tired picks up on this thread, he can perhaps shed some light on this.

ETA:  Whoops, there he is, right on schedule.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:17:13 am »
I run Metzelers on my 750, long ago settling on the Lazer front (now Lazertec) and ME88 Marathon rear.

I looked at the Metzelers website and the ME88 Marathon tires comes in metric sizes only. The Lazertec comes in the 3.25-19 and 4.0-18 size I need.

Are the Lazertec rear tires nice?

I have never heard of Metzeler tires, but if the tread looks nice and they build a quality tire, I might have to check them out.

The IRC tires I seen were made in Japan. I see that as a positive thing. Japan usually does not produce cheap products. Where are the Metzelers made at? I know the Cheng Shin tires are made in China or Taiwan.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:56:57 am »
I have never heard of Metzeler tires

They make great tires. I have used them on my ST1100.
However, the last few years I have switched to Avon tires for a number of different bikes and been very happy.
Check out the Avon Roadrider for your 550.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/roadrider
Nanahan Man

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:23:11 am »
I looked at the Metzelers website and the ME88 Marathon tires comes in metric sizes only. The Lazertec comes in the 3.25-19 and 4.0-18 size I need.

That's why I recommended the ME 77.
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/classic/none&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=229764&uri=/metzeler/en_US/browser/xml/catalog/moto/Classic_PERF_ME77.xml&menu_item=/products/catalog/classic

I expect so.  Last time I bought tires, the Lasertec rear in inch sizes wasn't available, so I got the ME 77.  I expect the Lasertec to possibly be an even better match for a Lasertec front.  However, the 77 will probably last longer in terms of miles of use.  By description it is "very high mileage".  Probably means a harder compound.  If you are leaning hard over in high G-load turns often, the Lasertec rear would be a better choice.  For commute, touring or normal driving, the the ME 77 will last longer. IMO  Be aware, I have not seen a Lastertec rear tire in person.
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/sport_touring/none&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=87162&uri=/metzeler/en_US/browser/xml/catalog/moto/SportTouring_Lasertec.xml&menu_item=/products/catalog/sport_touring

I have never heard of Metzeler tires, but if the tread looks nice and they build a quality tire, I might have to check them out.
German engineering and quality.  You'd be hard pressed to find a better tire.  And most importantly, they have the inch sizes, and carcass profiles to properly fit the 550 rim width and frame geometry.
Metric sized tires just didn't handle as nice as the inch sizes on my 550's.  But then, I was talked into getting oversizes for my bike by overzealous salesmen.  There are higher profits on larger tires.
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Do0ki3 PWNS

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:31:32 am »
i just purchased some shinko 712's at about 40 bucks a piece brand new they haven't come in yet but i heard that shinko bought yokohama's rubber and molding technology once they get here and i get to ride on them i will post a review.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:56:45 pm »

The Lazertec rear is what Metzeler used to call the ME55.  It was considered a sport touring tire for bikes needing a bias ply tire.  It came stock on the 1100 Katana.  My brother has had several on his Katana.  Not a bad tire, but it seems to wear out fairly quickly. 
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 05:10:17 pm »
I had a Metzler ME55 on a CB550.  It did wear out pretty quick.  But, mine was an oversize metric (120) which I believe contributed.  Pretty good traction, though.

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 05:21:30 pm »
+1 on the Metzeler ME77 - it came on my bike and I have been running it for over 3+ years, near daily driving and it's still going, though I will have to replace it before our rainy season kicks in.

I am also very impressed with the Pirelli MT66 tire I put on the front a season ago - great wet weather handling and looks sharp + reasonable price. I will be replacing the worn out Metzeler with a matching Pirelli rear tire. (the Metz was great but the Pirelli is less spendy plus will match the front)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:44:45 pm by MoTo-BunnY »
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline jimbir

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 05:28:15 pm »
Have a look at Bridgestone S11's. I had them on a '75 BMW R60. I was happy with them.

Reviews here

http://motorcycletirereviews.com/10-1-spitfireS11.html
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline gane

• Gane
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 06:57:54 pm »
While shopping, you might consider, Metzler, ME77 &ME99 perfect series, Contenental, TK22 &44, and Dunlop 701's (renamed Arrowmax)  all are quality street compounds in apropriate sizes. I avoid front rib patterns unless reproducing era look. luck g

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 11:31:58 pm »
Thanks for all the help you have given. I have learned alot.

Unfortunatly, the majority of recommendations posted here are for tires that cost half as much as I have invested in my CB550K for a pair of tires. Call me a cheapskate, but I just cant spend that much money.

I am still torn between the IRC tires and Michelin. I have Michelin tires on my Yamaha Riva Scooter and have been very happy with them. I mean very happy. The tires ride awesome and I am very happy with them.

Then again, I have never heard of IRC tires, but have spoke to people that have and spoke positive about them. A local business sells them and told me they have sold hundreds of them with out one complaint. Of course, this if someone selling them, so you take what they say with a grain of salt.

I am torn, do I take a chance with IRC tires, or choose Michelin tires? The Metzeler tires cost more than I am willing to spend, plain and simple. I have not done alot of online shopping, but for the most part, Motorcycle-superstore.com has about the lowest prices I have seen online and so far the IRC's or Michelins are about as cheap as you can get.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 01:35:01 am »
Thanks for all the help you have given. I have learned alot.

Unfortunatly, the majority of recommendations posted here are for tires that cost half as much as I have invested in my CB550K for a pair of tires. Call me a cheapskate, but I just cant spend that much money.

I am still torn between the IRC tires and Michelin. I have Michelin tires on my Yamaha Riva Scooter and have been very happy with them. I mean very happy. The tires ride awesome and I am very happy with them.

Then again, I have never heard of IRC tires, but have spoke to people that have and spoke positive about them. A local business sells them and told me they have sold hundreds of them with out one complaint. Of course, this if someone selling them, so you take what they say with a grain of salt.

I am torn, do I take a chance with IRC tires, or choose Michelin tires? The Metzeler tires cost more than I am willing to spend, plain and simple. I have not done alot of online shopping, but for the most part, Motorcycle-superstore.com has about the lowest prices I have seen online and so far the IRC's or Michelins are about as cheap as you can get.

Tom

Just remember though, that you depend on your tires a LOT more on a motorcycle than in a car. A flat tire in a car is generally just a drag, a flat tire on your bike could be real dangerous AND you don't carry a spare.

Personally, I might cut corners here and there but tires are NOT something I would go low buck on, with a motorcycle. . .
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 02:44:11 am »
Unfortunatly, the majority of recommendations posted here are for tires that cost half as much as I have invested in my CB550K for a pair of tires.
The value of the bike is not the purchase price.  You can increase it's value by making improvements.

Call me a cheapskate, but I just cant spend that much money.
OK.  You're a cheapskate.

I am still torn between the IRC tires and Michelin.

Then flip a coin.

There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Good luck!

Offline jimbir

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 04:45:05 am »
One blowout on a rear tire will make a believer out of you.
1976 Honda CB550F

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 04:59:02 am »
I had a Metzler ME55 on a CB550.  It did wear out pretty quick.
That's why I moved away from Metz for the Sabre and ST.
You don't have to buy the most expensive tires but remember that everyting you do on that bike comes down to a small contact patch on two points on the pavement.
You will be grateful you coughed up the extra cash when it comes time to avoid an accident situation.
As Michelin says " a lot is riding on your tires"

Nanahan Man

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 07:03:18 am »
OK, I understand that good tires are important. Michelin producing a junk tire? Seriously, Michelin, recognized as one of the most respected brands of tires in the world, makes garbage?

Then I hear Metzeler is a great tire, yet few have ever heard of the brand. I work with many motorcycle riders a work. I respect their opinion very much. The same goes with you guys. This is why I ask.

Seriously, I ask about tires and you guys make it seem that I should not even consider Michelin tires at all. Any reasons or do you just prefer Metzeler because that is the way it is.

Michelin did not have the recalls Firestone has had. Bridgestone owns Firestone. I worked in NDT field service and have been around many different industries over the past 9 years. Bridgestone is not known, within the employees, as a company that builds the best product they can build. I refuse to buy anything made by Bridgestone anymore. I have worked in a Michelin tire plant. While working there, I felt as if the company put quality in their product over anything else. The employees cared about their jobs and went the extra mile to do the job right the first time, every time. Maybe it as just the plant, or maybe my biased opinion, but that was my observation. Dunlop tires were one of my favorite brand of tires ever...until Goodyear took control of them.

Goodyear is the worst brand of tire I have every used. 4 new vehicles all came new with Goodyear tires. All had issues withing the first 12,000 miles. Replaced with a different brand and tires were awesome. The 4th vehicle of that bunch is the one I currently drive. The OE Goodyear tire rode rough, no traction on wet roads, noise...you name it. Got a new set of tires after watching them being made (BF Goodrich...made by Michelin) and close to 60,000 miles later, they still ride great.

I know motorcycle tires are a whole different ball of wax, but I find it had to believe that I would expect Bridgestone to build Motorcycle tires better than car tires with better quality.

The value of the bike is not the purchase price.  You can increase it's value by making improvements.

Absolutly. I pay $500.00 for the bike and put $250.00 in tires on it. My bike is now worth $600.00. I put $150.00 in tires instead of the $250.00 tires and my bike is worth $600.00. This is a 31 year old bike. These are not Harley's that sell for more than they cost new. The SOHC4 bikes are great bikes that run forever. I know this. Some may even call them classics, but I just cant see investing half the purchase price for something that is no better than something much cheaper.

There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Are you saying the Michelin or IRC tires are cheap tires?

Personally, I might cut corners here and there but tires are NOT something I would go low buck on, with a motorcycle. . .

So are you saying that Michelin because they are a low buck tire is garbage?

As I have said before, I want to best return of investment. I don't plan to ride the bike across the country. I don't lean the bike deep into corners. If that was the way I want to ride, I would buy a bike built for that. I need a tire that will be safe, reliable, nice looking, and wear nice. Ultimatly, something I will feel safe on.

Anything would be better than the $30.00 Cheng Shin tires already on the bike.

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 08:12:08 am »
In the end, go with what you feel secure on.

I must say, though, that your assertion that 'few have heard' of Metzeler is dead wrong.  Metzeler is a very well known and respected tire among folks who demand high performance of their tire.  I most often see them on sport bikes and on the track.

Judging by your last post, you have a pretty good idea of what you want.  Bite the bullet and spend the money.  Like the smart lady (Motobunny) said, you don't want to be cheap about your only and small contact with the road.

For myself, I've Michelins (Pilot Roads) on my Sprint and like them very much.  Superslab riding has squared them off too quickly, though.  Compounds differ among designs, even in the same company line; as you know.  On my 750Four I have Bridgestone BT 045 Battlaxes, and I have never been happier with a tire.  Only a few thousand miles on them so far, so I can't address longevity.  Also, I'm not a very aggressive rider; but whatever I've asked of those tires so far, they've performed admirably; including in the rain.  Putting them on radically improved the performance and my confidence in my bike.
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 08:32:36 am »
any recomondations for a good fat tire on the back... any complaints about kendas? i got a pair for my yamaha and havnt been able to try em yet
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline lowmileage

• Gotterdone
  • Enthusiast
  • At Montauk Point Circa 1975
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:23 am »
When I was looking at tires, there didn't seem to be a whole big difference between an inexpensive tire and a  ??? quality tire.  FWIW, I ended up getting Conti's -the RB2 front and the K112 rear.  I listened to those on the board that recommended getting a ribbed front and the "classic" type rear.  Can't tell you how good they are cause the bike won't be totally done for riding till (hopefully) this weekend.  Good luck whatever your choice is.
Tires might be the most important thing you buy for your bike.  I wouldn't go low end.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:38:31 am by lowmileage »
1975 750 K5 Original owner -  11K miles.  On the road 8/09 after 26 years in storage.
2004 Harley Superglide - bought new
1973 Honda CL350 - sold in '75 to buy the "750"

Offline Caymen

• Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 09:57:47 am »
I must say, though, that your assertion that 'few have heard' of Metzeler is dead wrong.  Metzeler is a very well known and respected tire among folks who demand high performance of their tire.  I most often see them on sport bikes and on the track.

This is not an assertion. This is me asking many different people about tires. For every person that has heard of a Metzeler tire, there are 4 that havent. Many of the people I have spoke to have been riding bikes long before I was born. I am not saying that they are not good tires. I am simply saying that aparently the name is known by some people, but not all. The same goes for IRC tires. Never heard of them until a couple of weeks ago. For all I know, Cheng Shin and IRC are one and the same. This is why I ask for input.

I have learned alot about motorcycle tires. I have heard about brands of tires that I never knew existed. This is a good thing. As my knowledge of motorcycles increases the better off I will be.

Tires might be the most important thing you buy for your bike.  I wouldn't go low end.

I completely agree. That is why Kenda's and Cheng Shin is not on my shopping list. I am looking at recognized brands with a good reputation. Nobody here has really said they know much about IRC tires, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I don't consider any Michelin tire low end. Of course, the MSRP on the tires I want are $104.00 for the front and $130.00 for the rear. I wouldn't call this a "low end" tire.

I do greatly appreciate the input I recieved. I come across sometimes as someone that is pig headed and arrogant, but that is not true. I do my research on my own and when I find something that I can't figure out, I ask others. I learned alot here and I am glad I did ask.

I am looking at motorcycle-superstore.com to buy tires from. I have urchased from them before and I highly reccommend them. Anyone else buy from someone else online so I may compare prices and shipping costs?

Tom
1978 CB550K

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 10:17:43 am »
I had good experience with these guys a few years ago.  http://www.mawonline.com/
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM