Author Topic: Share your rattle can videos here.  (Read 861 times)

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Share your rattle can videos here.
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:13:11 am »
Anyone have any rattle-can videos showing good technique?  Or bad technique?  Lots of us still use them but not all of us use them to their full potential (which certainly has its limits)

Offline BlackMax

• Enthusiast
Re: Share your rattle can videos here.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:12:42 am »
Anyone have any rattle-can videos showing good technique?  Or bad technique?  Lots of us still use them but not all of us use them to their full potential (which certainly has its limits)

Don't have any videos; but, I can give this tip:  Dupli-Color!!  I've done some professional looking jobs using duplicolor rattle cans.  Sure, anything as large as a car will show problems, but a tank or frame will not, if done right.  It's mainly a function of the internal air pressure and the nozzle for an even, finely aerosolled paint spray.
1978 CB750SS, 4-1 Yoshi, Pods, 3-angle valve job, ported chambers, ported intake, 41a cam

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:27:27 pm »
And tons of colors too. 

I really like the videos they have here: http://www.duplicolor.com/training/index.html
But the quicktime player is pretty darn small, and even if you magnify the browser window it doesn't get much bigger.

I've only watched the video on Metalspecks but he cleaned with prep solvent and many clean paper towels then hit it with tack cloth (or said he did) then sprayed a coat of 'adhesion promoter' before applying color.

The way he moved the can while spraying is a good clue what we'd need to be doing too. You spraygun guys know what I mean.

-A

Offline 1974CB750rider

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB750K4 46000 miles
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »
As long as you go through the proper prep steps and top the finish off with a nice clearcoat, rattle can paint jobs can look great. The prep is the most important part of the paint job no matter what.
People with closed minds cannot learn new things.