Author Topic: Quick float question.  (Read 987 times)

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
Quick float question.
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:02 am »
75' 550F. Consistently dripping (sometimes pouring) #1 carb. Rebuilt needle and seat X2, second time w/Honda parts. Meticulously set float height with gauge, PITA to do this w/carbs off the bike, love the stock air box but dammit it takes soooo long. Question: has anyone found a float to have a hole in it? How likely is this to be my problem? When I put the carbs back on it doesn't leak for a couple of days then drip, drip,drip for a while then becomes a gusher like the float is slowly filling with gas. I'm going in again and this sounds like a small hole in the #1 float. If the hole isn't obvious how do I test the float? I'm guessing immerse it overnight in a bowl of gas and comparing it to a good float. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Bluto

• Hot Shot
    • company website
Re: Quick float question.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:34:54 am »
Much sympathy here.  Aint it a #$%* to have to take them off and put them back on just to see if the fix worked?

A question.

How does she run with all this dripping going on?  With my 76 550k I found that as soon as the dripping started the skipping followed.  I eventually found a microscopic piece of trash up behind the seat in the #3 carb (This thing was REAL tiny).  When I finally got it out...no more drip / gush.

Good luck.

Bill
76 550K bought brand new...mothballed for 30 years... and still running great
81 XR 80
82 XR 200

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:57:22 am »
Hey bills you might have something here. First I smell a rich running condition then when the dripping starts it misses and stumbles. Then as the drip increases #1 only fires at high RPM. How did you find the tiny piece? How did you get it out? Thanks.

Offline Bluto

• Hot Shot
    • company website
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:48:50 am »
I first tried to deal with it without taking the float out.  When I finally took out the float AND the seat...I still did not see it.  I had to blow it out (with canned air).  I had it all laid out on a white towel and only then did I see this tiny (and I mean tiny) piece of crap laying there.  It was so small I really didn't think it could have been an issue...but...when I put them back on...NO MORE DRIP / gush.  So...I guess that was it.

Good luck friend!

Bill
81 XR 80
82 XR 200

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:55:13 am »
Thanks so much, sounds like a plan. Have you ever heard of a bad float? I'll check that too. Needle/seat rebuild always temporarily stops the problem but once the drip starts it never stops. Better get beer on the way home. Thanks again.

Offline Bluto

• Hot Shot
    • company website
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:09:33 am »
My floats are a black / solid foam kinda deal.  I don't know how they could go bad...but...anything is possible.

One recommendation.

When dealing with 550 carbs...HARD LIQUOR is probably the best bet!!!
81 XR 80
82 XR 200

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:13:11 am »
Crack pipe maybe? (disclaimer:obvious humor attempt, I don't, nor ever plan to, use crack in my efforts at motorcycle maintenance)

Offline Bluto

• Hot Shot
    • company website
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 08:21:14 am »
LMAO......hey...If ya get stoned enough you could just sit on it and imagine that your riding down the road.

Be a lot safer that way.

Keep us posted!

Bill
81 XR 80
82 XR 200

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:41:53 am »
Will do. Have a great weekend.