Author Topic: Seaweb11's Epic West Coast to Sturgis Bike Rally Journey  (Read 81337 times)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
Seaweb11's Epic West Coast to Sturgis Bike Rally Journey
« on: August 15, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »
I was invited to join Rixmangriff "Jerry" from Colorado to join him and his friend Howard for a week of mayhem in Sturgis. I jumped at the chance. They had a house already booked so what was there to think about? Remember these 2 guys rode to my little Island last year.  

A 3500+ mile adventure. many days riding alone, and a week with 2 other riders.

I will start this 20 day photo essay with some answers to questions that may be asked.
1978 CB750K 8.  I built this bike 4 years ago.
Stock motor with pods, 138 mains and a 4-2 Mac exhaust..
Average milage 46-50 mpg
All distances on OD are in Klms

July 26th
Start OD: 94631.4
End OD: 94869.6  
Total: 238

Left Gabriola in the afternoon to get all the ferry rides out of the way before getting started East.

Rode down to Washington and stayed at my sisters beach house near Everett. Arrived very late and stayed up even later talking and catching up.

July 27th
Start OD: 94869.6
End OD: 95201.1  
Total: 570

Late start ::) left at 11:30 am and headed East on Hwy #2, great mountain riding...

Coming into Winachee, WA it was 110 degrees ??? had to stop for a cold beer bought at a gas station at a lake near by.

As you ride out of Winachee East you climb out of the valley up a very steep narrow canyon

As soon as you get to the top the surroundings completely change to flat wheat fields of every color you can imagine. Yellows, reds, WOW!  Now it's supper HOT, HOT!!
After an hour or so I did a U turn and went and investigated an abandoned farm on the side of the road.

Stopped at a town called "Coulee City" near the Coulee Dam.
The 1st of many very nice road accommodations ::)

Out for a few beers and dinner at the local Tavern, and had dinner with an old guy named "wiskers"  Good local color :)

After dinner headed through the local campsite to look for CDN plates. As I rode through a guy came out of his site and stopped me. They "CDN's on bikes" had seen my bike in town. I was invited for a few beers and we talked and watched the sunset 8)

Back to the motel for my 1st and ONLY REPAIR needed on my trip.  The bolt under the left foot peg that holds the rubber on had vibrated loose and was gone.  Luckily...or good planning.....I had a few spare bolts and was able to fix it just fine 8)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Seaweb11's Epic West Coast to Sturgis Bike Rally Journey
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 02:32:17 am »
I am signing up for this....so far so good!  ;D

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:30:10 pm »
July 28th
Start OD: 95201.1
End OD:  95672.7
Total: 471
Bad sleep, crap bed! On the road by 7:15, stayed E on #2 to Spokane, picked up a cell phone and some oil and chain lube. Headed South on #23 for a 2 1/2 hour detour around a lake and some mountains ;D ;D  Back up #3 to #90E,

RAIN STORM!!! could barely see the off ramp, ended up at a town called "Superior". This was the town I got online at, thanks for keeping me company guys ;)  Did not make much progress today, but nice riding while it lasted.

No gas here. Out of business, like a lot of places on the back hwys :'(

Beer stop

Motel

Internet Tavern

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:45:00 pm »
July 29th
Start OD: 95672.7
End OD:  96259.2
Total: 587

Woke up at 8:30 to cloudy cool weather. Had a good sleep though :D
I was invited for breakfast at the local cafe by an old guy who I had helped yesterday evening.  He had been trying to get his "Bagger" up onto the side walk out of the rain and his bike had fallen over on him. I came out of my room and freaked........68 year old guy under his bike.  I got very strong, very quickly :o  He was limping a bit at breakfast.  3 cups of coffee and a muffin and I was headed East on #90 by 9:15. Stayed on #90E till "Missoula" then headed NE on #200. A river flows along side for a while and people were out kayaking, rafting and fishing. Stopped a few times to take photos.

River just on the other side of rail in photo.

Montana is beautiful!!!!!

Jumped on #141 South and found some more cool spots.......
Stopped at a bailey bridge and found a couple of fly fishers,

Self photo ;)

Back to #90E to Butte, I did go through, but not much to see.

Back on 90E for 5 miles and then found a very cool road #2 East "Continental Divide Dr."  that would take me slowly down to The West entrance to Yellowstone where I was to meet Jerry and Howard. I had looked at this road the night before as it had a bunch of the "ghost town" symbols on the map. Very nice twistys then on to #41 Southdown to "Twin Bridges and on to "Laurin and "Alder", and Virginia City.

Ever feel all alone on a perfect road?  Hwy #41 South

Town of Alder......

Off further South to some of the historic sights.
Virginia City. Old gold rush town, and yes it was time for a beer ;D

More on the same road. This place was cool. Criminals building a stop over for the stage coach so they could decide who to rob further up the road ;)

Parked right in front where the stage would have pulled up.

I have arrived to meet Jerry and Howard  a day early at the Motel/Cabin. I did it in 3 but had given myself a "breakdown/rain" delay. Didn't have either, bike is running strong.

Motel/Cabin?

I was lucky to get this cabin for the night at 7:00pm.  Most I paid yet....  Had a beer, and headed off to eat the worst hamburger in my life!!!!!!!

What is it with the US that mandates "Cisco" burgers at every bar, grill, restaurant ??????
This does start to bother me more as the trip proceeds.....buy some fricken hamburger and make your own for craps sake!!!!!!

Another great day. I really got into some very small hamlets today and stopped a lot to view the local goings on ;D ;D  I think after 3 days, I'm coming into my own way of traveling on my bike again 8)  I don't plant the miles onto the OD, but I am having a fantastic time just riding alone.

Tomorrow will be another day riding alone, couldn't wait//.....

Here is a tease of the next day ;D

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:08:05 pm »
I like how that map is looking! Ah good times!

keep it coming!

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:20 pm »
Ah yes, the good old frozen pre patted quarter pounder "SYSCO" burgers. Suppliers to all fine American eateries. I'll have a box sent to you to use as hockey pucks or skeet/trap shooting.  ;)

Guys, get out your state maps and follow Seaweb along. It just now begins.............. I heard the tales but they really mean nothing without the pictures and maps.

Derek,

I'll get you some pix Tuesday. 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:19 pm »
No mater how you spell it "SYSCO" burgers SUCK!
OK so I have spent the past 2 hours going through all my photos from Yellowstone. Now I will upload the to flicker and do a write up.

July 30th
Start OD: 96259.2
End OD: 
Total: 297 ;D
Off to the West Entrance to Yellowstone at 9:15, hung a right and headed South on one of the circles in the park. I seem to be pulling off at every pull out, how COOL 8) is this place ;D

My 1st encounter..........

yaya me again.......

It was quite cool today, didn't warm up to about 1:00.

Made it to "Old Faithful" at 11:30.
Chalk board said it would go off again between 12:00-12:35  Walked around a bit and finally sat down on a front bench at 12:00 and waited till 12:45 with a thousand other people. Now you have to sit and endure at least the couple I sorted out of the crap ::)
Here it is sputtering at 12:25....

Another tease...

Thar she goes......

One more before we hit the road again.  Funny how you will sit around for a very long tome to see something you have heard about your entire life..... :-\

Along the way......

Self portrait at the lake

Where the buffalo roam ;D

Had to pee and had my camera in my pocket, took an artsy photo on my way out of the bush.

Exited park and into the town, picked up some long underware for my cold day rides and some cleaners to wash the bike.  Returned to Cabin? at 5:30. Washed the bike chilled some beer for the incoming boys ;D There has been a lot of road construction along the way and bike looks bad. I used the bathroom garbage can as a soapy bucket and the coffee pot as a rinser ;D  Many rince trips later the bike was clean.

Jerry and Howard arived at 7:15.

Howard on his 1800CC "Interstate Whore"  as I called both their bikes ;D

Jerry on his...........

1st Beer together in 11 1/2 months 8)

Out to the Tavern for dinner.
Howard is holding up my granola bar and teasing me.....he did however have a few bites over the next couple of days on the road ;)

The Rixman looks pretty relaxed after 8 beers :)  .....and you rode home :-\ ;D

I'm out of here tonight. That was 4 hours out of my life I will never get back. Hope you like the photos.  no spell check, I'm done!

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:05:16 am »
It's late, but I will attempt to do the next day.
July 31st
Start OD: 96566.3
End OD:  96865
Total: 309

I was informed the night before that it would be cold where we were headed. Out the door and on the bikes at 9:00 am dressed in 2 shirts, a flees long under ware, jeans and a leather coat.

Email quote from Jerry on this day. I didn't keep track of where we were any more, I just rode ;D

"We entered via us287 through West Yellowstone entrance. to Madison area, to Norris Geyser Basin area, (don't see numbers) to Mammoth Hot Springs and the mostly dried up terraces, to Tower-Roosevelt area, then out US212 where the as-large-as-minivans buffalo (bison, whatever) roam by the thousands, aka Bear Tooth Scenic Hwy or as we Americans call it, the Ricky Hollywood Rockstar Racer Freeway Into Red Lodge, MT. #$%* it, now I gotta go get me a 126.6 proof Bookers Whiskey on the rocks.........................   OK, I'm back, good #$%*!"

More Buffalo ;)

Howard bike was missed on this crossing.

Seems Obamahs' inrfastructure plan is well in place in the States where ever I went.

At the 3rd stop I put on my "neck warmer". Man it's cold up here.

I was having a hoot today. I usually ride alone or with my wife. Riding with these 2 guys was great. If I was out in front they were right behind me always, if I was at the back both guys kept an eye on me. It's tough riding a 750 cafe with 1800cc cruisers. I can loose them in the mountains, but on the straights the side winds can be a real pain in the ass for me!!

I know, .nice pants ;D   but I was warm ;)

Nice riding.

Jerry, you can stop grinning, the squirlle has left ::)

I booted a head and took a couple of photos of the guys riding.
Jerry.

Howard.

About here Jerry took a couple of videos of me riding in this area........perhaps he could drop them in?

I started pulling my camera out of my pocket at this time.   Twisty roads, remove leather gloves, stuff glove into jacket, pull out camera, turn 180 degrees and then hold it over your head behind you..........

We arrived in Red Lodge and jerry headed into town for a new headlight. He was hit by shrapnel from a Big Rig Tire Bow Out along the way. Howard and I hit the pool and spa.  

Jerry & Howard were nice enough to have a Scottish parade for me in Red Lodge.

At my urging, we go to a Pizza place I saw on the way though town.  Funny sh*t!!!!

Turns out it was a brew pub. Even though they were very busy I convinced the bartender that we wanted "Tasters" of all their beers and that we would be patient and look after her at the end of the night.  I had realized I had left all my money at the Motel so what the f8ck did I care ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
21 beer on the table, lets begin...

She was very cool, she would explain the beer and would come back in a couple of mins and explain the next one till it looked something like this 8)

So, time to order food. We "me" thought it might be fun to ask are bartender to serve us pizza as we had sampled the beer...........One slice of every kind of pizza they had ;D ;D ;D

Jerry held the camera and here is the video "I hope"
I give up on Flicker tonight.
It's going to be a link click for the Video.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24077913@N08/3838538619/

The old kids went back to bed at 10:00 PM. I hung around town listening to a few bands and came back around 11:30/  They were all tucked in.  

As I had booked this suite, I had made the extra request of some coffee, cream, bacon, eggs, orange juice and milk to be in the fridge on our arrival. I stayed up and set the table for breakfast, pre=set the coffee machine and pulled out all the pans and crap I would need to make food in the morning ;D   Just trying to ingratiate myself into this mix ;)

Self photo at Red Lodge 1:30am.............

The best day of riding I think I have ever had!!!   Very 8) to ride with 2 guys who will follow you through any corner passing cars and basically raising hell on the road 8)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:33:42 am »
Aug 1st
Start OD: 96865
End OD:  ??
Total: ??
We made it to Sturgis today. Perhaps some encouragement and I will carry on ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline B.O.X.N.I.F.E.

• The Stumped
  • Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 06:18:27 pm »
I think I know that chick!  ;D
1974 CB550

32 days and 5,536 miles on a CB550...

http://kerncountykid.blogspot.com/

and a couple years later, 38 days and 9,102 miles...

Forever West

... and all of it in a 4 mintue video

<a href="Not a valid vimeo URL">WWYY?[/url]

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:51:55 pm »
I think I want to know that chick!

Very cool so far Derek! Looking forward to the rest of the shenanigans!!

Oh and I think you should add a stat to your daily tally like you have for the OD...a beer tally!!

Dennis

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 10:54:17 pm »
A beer tally would've taken a sober man with a calculator! That wasn't about to happen. There were only 3 of us  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:28 pm »
Three of them and none were sober and none could count. at least not for long. ;D
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 12:09:33 am »
The OD stats for the next 7 days are non existent. No idea, and I don't care.
Just great rides and stories on the road.

P.S. If that ass above doesn't make you want to drop in a note here, then you are Dead.

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 01:40:44 am »
I'm checking in every morning for an update Derek,cool report and photos  ;), cheers Mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 01:24:10 pm »
Back ;D

Aug 1st
End OD:  ??

Up at 7:30 to turn on the coffe pot and make the boys breakfast. Packed up and on the road by 9:30. Headed East on #313 and #72 to Cody WY. Jerry was still in need of a headlight.

Did you notice, he travels with a beer cooler 8)

Left Cody on #14E. Very long day for me........keeping up with 1800cc bikes is a challenge on a Cafe 750 all day >:(  I hate GRASSHOPPERS.  They are the size of sparrows here!

We get to Spearfish at 7:00PM and I crash on the lawn of the house.  Can't move :P

A beer and short rest and off to dinner.........

uh........that's Jerry on the right ;D

We decided after dinner we would ride the 20+ miles into Sturgis.
As you round the last corner into town the sights and sounds hit you all at once. AMAZING!
We rode all 5 blocks....bikes every where, people every where! One guy jumped out in front of me and yelled, "That's a 750 isn't it!"  I said yes and quickly caught back up again.

I must tell every one reading this that my trip to and from and especialy the week in Sturgis were made more amazing because of the bike I was riding. Jerry and Howard started calling me "Hollywood" because every where we went there were always people around my bike.  I implore anyone thinking of going to do so. You will stand out 8) 8)

Went to a few bars that night :o :o

Couple of cool bikes ;D too

OK, so now it's 2:00am and we are heading out of town. I'm following Jerry's rear tire........I have no idea how to get back to the house, and need to keep close.  He pulls over in front of me so I pull over. He then takes off. I look in my rea mirror to make sure it's clear and what do I see???????????  A POLICE CAR!
Crap. Get off my bike and start sobering up ;D  They aproach me and ask me why I just ran the last blinking red light out of town. I explain my ignorance of the area and that I was just follwing "friends" ::)  They asked if I had any weapons......uh......ya, the 1st time in my life I had a knife I had just bought for a buddy at home. They took it out of my inside pocket and asked me to get in the car...CRAP!  A bit of Canadian dry humour and I was let off with a warning.  Found my "friends" a bit further up the road.   All in all a great day ;D

P.S. These posts are to long to spell check so deal with any errors please :)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 02:27:09 pm »
Good start, eh?!

That's not a beer cooler. It's actually a thick walled refrigerated medication delivery device that I absconded from one of the pharmacies I work in. HOWEVER, it's the best damn beer cooler I have found. 2 days on the road and the beer, er medication is still cold.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 06:01:27 pm »
Back ;D

Aug 1st
End OD:  ??

Up at 7:30 to turn on the coffe pot and make the boys breakfast. Packed up and on the road by 9:30. Headed East on #313 and #72 to Cody WY. Jerry was still in need of a headlight.

Did you notice, he travels with a beer cooler 8)

Left Cody on #14E. Very long day for me........keeping up with 1800cc bikes is a challenge on a Cafe 750 all day >:(  I hate GRASSHOPPERS.  They are the size of sparrows here!

We get to Spearfish at 7:00PM and I crash on the lawn of the house.  Can't move :P

A beer and short rest and off to dinner.........

uh........that's Jerry on the right ;D

We decided after dinner we would ride the 20+ miles into Sturgis.
As you round the last corner into town the sights and sounds hit you all at once. AMAZING!
We rode all 5 blocks....bikes every where, people every where! One guy jumped out in front of me and yelled, "That's a 750 isn't it!"  I said yes and quickly caught back up again.

I must tell every one reading this that my trip to and from and especialy the week in Sturgis were made more amazing because of the bike I was riding. Jerry and Howard started calling me "Hollywood" because every where we went there were always people around my bike.  I implore anyone thinking of going to do so. You will stand out 8) 8)

Went to a few bars that night :o :o

Couple of cool bikes ;D too

OK, so now it's 2:00am and we are heading out of town. I'm following Jerry's rear tire........I have no idea how to get back to the house, and need to keep close.  He pulls over in front of me so I pull over. He then takes off. I look in my rea mirror to make sure it's clear and what do I see???????????  A POLICE CAR!
Crap. Get off my bike and start sobering up ;D  They aproach me and ask me why I just ran the last blinking red light out of town. I explain my ignorance of the area and that I was just follwing "friends" ::)  They asked if I had any weapons......uh......ya, the 1st time in my life I had a knife I had just bought for a buddy at home. They took it out of my inside pocket and asked me to get in the car...CRAP!  A bit of Canadian dry humour and I was let off with a warning.  Found my "friends" a bit further up the road.   All in all a great day ;D

P.S. These posts are to long to spell check so deal with any errors please :)

That Wyo entrance sign used to say "Wyoming..like no place on Earth"......(that pretty much somes it up!)
Keep up the story Derek.....It really sounds like a once in a lifetime kinda ride.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 06:03:26 pm »
 ;D ;D....I just reposted all your pics............... 8)
MEMBER # 257

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 06:14:47 pm »
One other thing..... 8) on the cop lettin' ya' go at 2am...............it usually is not a good time to ride away from a bar!!!!
MEMBER # 257

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 06:24:49 pm »
They tow all the bikes off the main street at 2:00am.   What were my options ;D ;D

They actually have loud speakers telling you to move your bike off the road.!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 06:31:11 pm »
God, do these pages ever end???????????????

Load time for me is getting crazy.

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »
Good times!

Great trip and write up.  Looking forward to more installments : )
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 11:48:40 pm »
#$%*!!!!!!!!!  I just spent 2 hours on the next day and it crashed on the forum before I could hit "post" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

perhaps tomorrow.

tease ................I'm tired......................
Just another bar ::)

When the Hell do you get to page 2 on this forum now?

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 08:08:46 am »
Good ? on page 2..... I can't tell you how many times I have spent time typing out something and then going to spell check or to add a photo and had the site lock up.....lost everything and had to start over.  Now most times if it is going to be long or involved, type it up in microsoft word and then cut and paste.... saves a lot of #$%^#$&%$#% p!ssed off words and anger.
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228